Nearly 100 fixes planned for Apple's second Leopard update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

I agree with 'coolfactor' that your statements are generalizations. I've been using Leopard for day-to-day work and have found it very usable and stable. Any comparison with Vista is unwarranted unless you're prepared to list out all your issues with Leopard, which is the only way you can give your statements any credibility.

I also have to agree. I have found 10.5.1 of Leopard to be very stable so far. It has never crashed and only 1 or 2 thrid party programs have crashed but it's very rare when they do. Everyone's experience is different but then again everyone's hardware is very different as well.

I don't have the Seagate HD that was giving a lot of people trouble recently and my MacBook has the new Santa Rosa architecture with 4GB of memory.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digitaldoc View Post

****Please consider fixing this, too****

This long-standing bug persists from inception in 10.4.10 into 10.5.1. Often characterized as a bug only on Intel Macs, I can assure all that my dual 867 MHz MDD is afflicted, too. Major symptoms: When attempting to read a compact flash card in either of two different card readers, the system will mount the card as a drive and allow navigation to the folder that contains images (Raw or JPG - does not matter). System shows several thumbnail images, but then freezes. Cannot restart finder or do anything except a hard system shut-down.

Attempts to open folder from Photoshop file dialog fails similarly.

Hope post here is more effective than post on Apple forums.

Steve

Even more effective: use Apple's bug reporter.

You'll need to sign up as a developer first, but there's a free option. I've (mostly) had good results with reporting bugs this way provided they were reproducible.

I've seen a similar but not as severe problem on a USB stick but I suspect in that case it was the USB stick at fault, because it didn't work that well on non-Mac systems either. Have you tried other tricks to get control back, like remove the device, then add another USB device to get the USB bus to reconfigure?

On other complaints...

When I first switched to 10.4, I had a ridiculous number of crashes. It eventually turned out that my iMac (G5) had a hardware fault. I don't know if it was coincidence, or whether a major new release exercised the hardware differently and exposed the fault, but the latter possibility suggests to me that anyone having an unusual number of problems with a major new release should get the hardware checked (as well as the usual things like trying a clean install, in case some hack or whatever extra you installed and since forgot is incompatible).

I haven't gone to 10.5 yet because (a) I am waiting for the complaints to subside with newer releases and (b) a few of my Adobe CS3 applications need upgrades.

So far the level of complaints doesn't seem that high to me for a major release though anything closer to zero would obviously be good.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    better it be released later than it be buggy and flaky
  • Reply 44 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not updated. Running 10.4.11... looks like I made the right decision.

No issues with it? I know of a few people with issues that occurred after the x.x.11 update.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Generalization. Leopard seems pretty darn solid to me. Your experience may be different, but don't include me in your conclusion of Leopard. It's a very high-quality product. Not beta.

Released ultra- buggy. More so than any other Mac OS release. It's a shame it took a back seat to the iPhone- release date, bugginess, etc.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I feel bad for you people and all your problems.

ARe you Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 47 of 103
    What happened to the rumors that Apple was overhauling Leopard for SSE4 instructions? Apparently performance increases using SSE4 are big. Going forward, all the new Mac products coming out would get big performance increases and be another reason for people to buy new Macs. God, think about how fast Leopard runs with old hardware and the new iMacs are zippy.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

i hear they are fixing memory leaks with Rosatta (required by G5's) so I wouldn't be surprised.

Other way around there, my friend. Rosetta is an intermediary to get PowerPC code to run on the Intel machines. The code runs natively on G4s and G5s.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Released ultra- buggy. More so than any other Mac OS release. It's a shame it took a back seat to the iPhone- release date, bugginess, etc.

The iPhone runs 10.5. It never took a back-seat, just a side-seat. The work done for the iPhone benefited Leopard greatly.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    What has happened to AI? It's still the best forum around by a long shot but it's not the same place. I miss Wilco. I honestly mean that, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

ARe you Steve Jobs?

Always trying to rankle me, teckturd. You'll find that I don't care enough to be niggled as my elitist Mac ego is too self absorbed to be concerned with what others think about me. Especially on an internet forum. But if it makes you feel better then by all means keep it up.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    As a developer myself, I understand just how challenging developing something like OS X can be. It is completely unrealistic for anyone to expect the OS to be "bug-free". There are always going to be bugs, because it's not a black and white situation. Bugs can take many forms - syntax errors, logic errors (drawing the wrong conclusion), GIGO errors (garbage-in, garbage-out), and so on. Then there are other issues related around memory leaks, extra code needed for security, and so on. It's a never-ended battle to achieve the "perfect" design, and even then, it's constantly evolving as they add new features, enhance existing features, etc.

If they waited until they felt OS X was "perfect", we'd never see that day.

I suspect people that are having "constant crashing", and other such severe problems with 10.5 more likely have hardware issues or have cluttered up their systems with third-party software that are creating conflicts.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

What happened to the rumors that Apple was overhauling Leopard for SSE4 instructions? Apparently performance increases using SSE4 are big. Going forward, all the new Mac products coming out would get big performance increases and be another reason for people to buy new Macs. God, think about how fast Leopard runs with old hardware and the new iMacs are zippy.

I have read nothing about it anywhere. Can low-level code like that be pumped into the software without the need for beta-testers? Would they even know if the code was there if they weren't using a new Mac Pro?
  • Reply 53 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No issues with it? I know of a few people with issues that occurred after the x.x.11 update.

I think things are running a little bit slower, but I can't pinpoint the slowdown to anything in particular.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    It's looking like all Intel Macs will be able to NetBoot with the 10.5.2 update. Though I seriously doubt that Apple will update OpenFirmware to enable PPC Macs this same functionality.

From one screenshot of the upcoming update which had an option to turn on optical disc sharing from the Sharing Preferences pane, it appears you won't need the RemoteDisc installation CD so long as you are running 10.5.2 or later.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    I really hope Apple fixes the graphics problems with WoW on 10.5

Especially on PPC machines using nVidia cards like the 6800 Ultra.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...86740840&sid=1
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I hope they fix crashing in all programs

and Disk Utility It doesn't work at all!

Make sure you are not trying to launch the Tiger version of the programs that are crashing (especially Disk Utility). Use Spotlight to search for Disk Utility and see if you have more that one version; I did. Find the folder inside the Applications Folder created by Leopard and try launching them. If it works, trash the folder with the Tiger versios AND any aliases (like in the Dock).
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Make sure you are not trying to launch the Tiger version left behind by Archive and Install. Use Spotlight to seach for Disk Utility. I'll bet you have two, one that won't launch and one that will (inside the Applications>Utilities folder created by Leopard).
  • Reply 58 of 103
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I strongly recommend anyone with strange problems to run Font Book and validate all fonts in both user and main Libraries. Remove all that show up with yellow and red flags. Leopard seems to be way more picky about fonts and doing this stopped numerous problems I had with applications from both Adobe and also iLife and iWorks.

Excellent advice, digitalclips!
  • Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

I just started using Time Machine this weekend, and since I have, the Mac won't stay asleep when I put it to sleep... even if the Time Machine drive is off. I hope that's a fixed issue in this one. Very little point in having a sleep feature if the machine's got insomnia.

You might try InsomniaX, it was originally designed to keep the macbook awake, but there is a "sleep system" option that might override the OS X control as it does for the reverse process. Worth a shot...

And as to people who complain about hierarchical folders missing, you can create an alias of a folder and put it in the dock for this to work if 10.5.2 doesn't fix this, or if you NEED it now. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but the alternative is to complain and do nothing about it for a while.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

When marketing works more closely with Engineering and can have better timeline projections that also keep the interest in Wall Street at an optimum level.

When that happens, Wall street might mature and realise that shipping a quality product which retains customers for the long term is a more sensible plan than ramming something out that might end up losing customers in the long run. But then again, when has Wall street ever been concerned about the long term?