So where the hell is the MACTOUCH?? When then?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone here please kidnap and interogate one of your Apple sources for information on what went wrong with the MacTouch debut? Why didn't it make the cut for Macworld 2008? Were there so many bugs that Jobs just said nevermind because it simply wasn't ready?

So when then will we see it? The rumors of the Macbook air turned out to be true. So why not the mactouch? The latest rumors had the thing with dual 9" screens with both screens being multitouch. And the bottom screen turns into an onscreen keyboard when activated as such.

So can someone investigate the story here and find out when most likely they will debut the thing? Perhaps In february they will when they announce the iphone/ipod touch SDK??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    OMG Anyone???
  • Reply 2 of 86
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Can someone here please kidnap and interogate one of your Apple sources for information on what went wrong with the MacTouch debut? Why didn't it make the cut for Macworld 2008? Were there so many bugs that Jobs just said nevermind because it simply wasn't ready?

So when then will we see it? The rumors of the Macbook air turned out to be true. So why not the mactouch? The latest rumors had the thing with dual 9" screens with both screens being multitouch. And the bottom screen turns into an onscreen keyboard when activated as such.

So can someone investigate the story here and find out when most likely they will debut the thing? Perhaps In february they will when they announce the iphone/ipod touch SDK??

Just a guess, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple is wrapping up the product and decided that releasing too much at Macworld would be information overload when you consider that you had the macbook air, movie rental news, time capsule and some software upgrades all hit at the same show. They even shifted the updates on mac pro and x-serve to a week before the show. Obviously, they shifted those a week early for a reason.

It wouldn't hurt apple getting some new press and excitement on wall street later in the 1st quarter and again later in the 2nd quarter with the roll out of the 2nd I-phone version.

I am looking forward to the mactouch or whatever it is called. If it is what I think it will be is true, I will be one of the first to whip out the credit card.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

Just a guess, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple is wrapping up the product and decided that releasing too much at Macworld would be information overload when you consider that you had the macbook air, movie rental news, time capsule and some software upgrades all hit at the same show. They even shifted the updates on mac pro and x-serve to a week before the show. Obviously, they shifted those a week early for a reason.

It wouldn't hurt apple getting some new press and excitement on wall street later in the 1st quarter and again later in the 2nd quarter with the roll out of the 2nd I-phone version.

I am looking forward to the mactouch or whatever it is called. If it is what I think it will be is true, I will be one of the first to whip out the credit card.

Apple can treat the SDK debut in one of two ways:

1. A low key, under the radar type of announcement along the lines of this year's mac pro and xserve announcements.

2. Or, they could make it into a media event and use it as an excuse to announce hardware updates to the iphone and a debut for the mactouch.

Which do you all think will happen?
  • Reply 4 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It'll be 11", possibly 10", it will have a single multi-touch screen with no hardware keyboard, it won't be aimed at graphic artists, but rather the mainstream market, and it will be announced at or around Macwolrd 2009, possibly even in the fourth calendar quarter 2008.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Yeah I'd be willing to bet it'll be the major product announced at MWSF '09. I don't think anyone with reason was expecting it at MWSF '08 - just hoping for it.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    It will be at next year's Macworld along with the iphone nano and Apple TV 2.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

It will be at next year's Macworld along with the iphone nano and Apple TV 2.

You mean Apple TV take 3! Now just $149!!!!

• Reply 8 of 86
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

You mean Apple TV take 3! Now just $149!!!!

Yes with the ability for live broadcasting, games, and connection with ipods and iphones.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It'll be 11", possibly 10", it will have a single multi-touch screen with no hardware keyboard, it won't be aimed at graphic artists, but rather the mainstream market, and it will be announced at or around Macwolrd 2009, possibly even in the fourth calendar quarter 2008.

While I hope it isn't aimed solely at graphic artists, I know I and many other patient artists will be pissed off if it doesn't have the option of being penabled or at least allowing me to draw. A tablet without the ability to draw is nearly completely useless to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple will release a Mac-n-touch. Even Dell has a tablet now, and it uses finger and pen input. They are charing $2400 for it but they have it. I hear tell of them developing one with multitouch and I can't imagine Steve Jobs is gonna let Dell beat him.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    It'll be aimed at Corporate America and the Medical/Military Complexes.

Congress will dig the notion of having a Tablet and their latest information with wireless updates during Senate/House hearings.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

With the rumors of the macbook air turning out to be true I think its more likely that the device will have dual 9" screens in a clamshell and or sliding type of configuration. Both screens will be multitouch with the bottom screen turning into an onscreen keyboard on command. And I think it will debut this year.

All of this is based on recent rumors.

The product was supposed to debut at THIS year's macworld but with numerous bugs the launch was delayed.

I think it will be ready for a debut this year. I say this year because of all the launch cancellations of products which was supposed to show at macworld 08. Jobs will have to make multiple small announcements/product launches throughout the year. Jobs wanted macworld 08 to be bigger but it couldn't so he did the best he could with what he had ready.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Those are wishful rumors, not rumors with logic behind them. It won't be a dual-screen clamshell.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Those are wishful rumors, not rumors with logic behind them. It won't be a dual-screen clamshell.

I betcha a dollar it will be dual screen.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Quote:

I betcha a dollar it will be dual screen.

But why? What is the purpose of it being dual screen? Wouldn't that push the cost up more than having it be more like a convertable laptop? The ONLY way is see a dual screen working is if, and ONLY if, the bottom screen was the only multitouch one.

I think the rumors of it being a larger variation of an iPhone/iPod touch (a slate) far more likely than it being a dual screened clam shell. It would be cheaper than most tablets (I stand by my guess of $800). I really think overcoming that price barrier is the big thing. If Apple can produce a relatively inexpensive tablet, something between the iPhone and the MacBook, then I think they will have a solid winner on their hands.

Of course, if Apple don't produce a tablet soon, I may break down and buy an HP TX2000 or whatever. It might be windows but damnit, Roger needs a tablet!
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

But why? What is the purpose of it being dual screen? Wouldn't that push the cost up more than having it be more like a convertable laptop? The ONLY way is see a dual screen working is if, and ONLY if, the bottom screen was the only multitouch one.

I think the rumors of it being a larger variation of an iPhone/iPod touch (a slate) far more likely than it being a dual screened clam shell. It would be cheaper than most tablets (I stand by my guess of $800). I really think overcoming that price barrier is the big thing. If Apple can produce a relatively inexpensive tablet, something between the iPhone and the MacBook, then I think they will have a solid winner on their hands.

Of course, if Apple don't produce a tablet soon, I may break down and buy an HP TX2000 or whatever. It might be windows but damnit, Roger needs a tablet!

Hey I'm just going by the latest rumors. And they seemed just as intense as the macbook air rumors that turned out to be true. I betcha Jobs was prepared to show off the device right up to the last few weeks before macworld. Its just that his team was just not able to iron out all the bugs in time.

The same thing almost happened to the iphone last year. But obviously they were able to complete it on time......barely.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:

Hey I'm just going by the latest rumors. And they seemed just as intense as the macbook air rumors that turned out to be true. I betcha Jobs was prepared to show off the device right up to the last few weeks before macworld. Its just that his team was just not able to iron out all the bugs in time.

The same thing almost happened to the iphone last year. But obviously they were able to complete it on time......barely.

Who knows, maybe there were still bugs with the iPhone? I mean, they still had about 6 months to finish it up, right? They just got it working to the point that Jobs could show it off. I suspect a good portion of it may be "We gots too much crap...er...lets make the MacBook Air to focus here and bring the Mac-n-touch out later!" (Just to be clear, I really don't think it is going to be called Mac-n-touch, it is just a not so cleaver pun).

And yeah, I know the rumors you are talking about, I came across them last night. I really don't like the look of the device...but then the MacBook Air looks much sleeker than what people produced, even Wired and they were pretty close. And I REALLY don't understand the purpose of two touchscreens.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There were no serious rumors about a "mactouch" being announced at Macworld. It was ultranotebook, movie rentals, and new iPhone firmware. The surprise was time capsule. The rumor was that they had been working on an UMPC that is 1.5 times the size of the iPhone, and was NOT going to be announced at MW '08.

I love how people feverishly fantasize about what Apple is going to announce, and then flip out when Apple doesn't announce what they had fantasized.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:

Mac-n-touch

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha I GET it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There were no serious rumors about a "mactouch" being announced at Macworld. It was ultranotebook, movie rentals, and new iPhone firmware. The surprise was time capsule. The rumor was that they had been working on an UMPC that is 1.5 times the size of the iPhone, and was NOT going to be announced at MW '08.

I love how people feverishly fantasize about what Apple is going to announce, and then flip out when Apple doesn't announce what they had fantasized.

Yes, that is the rumor that AppleInsider reported. And many of us are refering to said device. There really isn't anything KNOWN about said device. We just don't want to call it Newton 2 or whatever because...well it wont run the Newton OS. We don't know WHAT it will run. Some places say it will run the iPhone/iPod touch OS. Others say an imbedded version of Leopard. Some sources say 5.25", others say 7 or 9"!

There is some rampent speculation and dream devices being described here (I WANT AN ACTIVE DIGITIZER PEN OPTION DAGNABIT!) but these are in response to the rumor of the UMPC which is really what Apple should produce...but, you know, GOOD...

OH! And don't forget, there is MANY more than one Apple rumor site. Its a frigging community. I know that and I am NEW!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:

Who knows, maybe there were still bugs with the iPhone? I mean, they still had about 6 months to finish it up, right? They just got it working to the point that Jobs could show it off. I suspect a good portion of it may be "We gots too much crap...er...lets make the MacBook Air to focus here and bring the Mac-n-touch out later!" (Just to be clear, I really don't think it is going to be called Mac-n-touch, it is just a not so cleaver pun).

And yeah, I know the rumors you are talking about, I came across them last night. I really don't like the look of the device...but then the MacBook Air looks much sleeker than what people produced, even Wired and they were pretty close. And I REALLY don't understand the purpose of two touchscreens.

I think I do. I think he wanted to find a way to let the user have the functionality of a much larger screen with the same feeling of portability you might have with the iphone.

Sorta like a laptop for the pocket as opposed to a tiny computer in the pocket.