Nearly 100 fixes planned for Apple's second Leopard update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Released ultra- buggy. More so than any other Mac OS release. It's a shame it took a back seat to the iPhone- release date, bugginess, etc.

Really? Then why are 81% of users "very satisfied"?
  • Reply 62 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I suspect people that are having "constant crashing", and other such severe problems with 10.5 more likely have hardware issues or have cluttered up their systems with third-party software that are creating conflicts.

That's a big one. These forums are populated with people who like to hack their systems with 50 third party hacks - and then complain when a system upgrade breaks something.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Always trying to rankle me, teckturd. You'll find that I don't care enough to be niggled as my elitist Mac ego is too self absorbed to be concerned with what others think about me. Especially on an internet forum. But if it makes you feel better then by all means keep it up.

C'mon, that should be tecktard, not teckturd. Get your FSJ on and get with it solipsism.

• Reply 64 of 103
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Always trying to rankle me, teckturd. You'll find that I don't care enough to be niggled as my elitist Mac ego is too self absorbed to be concerned with what others think about me. Especially on an internet forum. But if it makes you feel better then by all means keep it up.

Wagh! Sloppyism is calling me names!!
  • Reply 65 of 103
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Released ultra- buggy. More so than any other Mac OS release. It's a shame it took a back seat to the iPhone- release date, bugginess, etc.

Odd, I just upgraded to 10.5.1 over the weekend, and I'm really fricking impressed.

Perfect? No. I've found a couple of repeatable graphics redraw errors - one buffering problem, and one case of a HUD window not getting properly placed on a visibility stack for hiding and Expose. I've reported them to Apple through the proper channels. (You *do* do that, right? I mean, I shouldn't even be bothering to ask if you do that, right?)

But 'ultra-buggy'? Ha. 'than any other Mac OS release'?? What are you, a new switcher?? Yeesh.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Really, based on the minimum number of complaints I would say that 10.5 has been a very successful and relatively error free release.

I am currently running 10.4.11 and am about to upgrade to 10.5. I waited and listened to the screams from the early adopters. And they have been very quiet and minor with this release and I feel free to go ahead and update. -- And the screams from the past has been very loud and vocal. I can even remember a release that Apple pulled back within 24 hours because it was so bad.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digitaldoc View Post

****Please consider fixing this, too****

This long-standing bug persists from inception in 10.4.10 into 10.5.1. Often characterized as a bug only on Intel Macs, I can assure all that my dual 867 MHz MDD is afflicted, too. Major symptoms: When attempting to read a compact flash card in either of two different card readers, the system will mount the card as a drive and allow navigation to the folder that contains images (Raw or JPG - does not matter). System shows several thumbnail images, but then freezes. Cannot restart finder or do anything except a hard system shut-down.

Attempts to open folder from Photoshop file dialog fails similarly.

Hope post here is more effective than post on Apple forums.

Steve

I've never had problems either reading or writing to Flashcards of any type.

I read CF cards from my Canon 5D several times a week, and it has always been fine.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Odd, I just upgraded to 10.5.1 over the weekend, and I'm really fricking impressed.

Perfect? No. I've found a couple of repeatable graphics redraw errors - one buffering problem, and one case of a HUD window not getting properly placed on a visibility stack for hiding and Expose. I've reported them to Apple through the proper channels. (You *do* do that, right? I mean, I shouldn't even be bothering to ask if you do that, right?)

But 'ultra-buggy'? Ha. 'than any other Mac OS release'?? What are you, a new switcher?? Yeesh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Really, based on the minimum number of complaints I would say that 10.5 has been a very successful and relatively error free release.

I am currently running 10.4.11 and am about to upgrade to 10.5. I waited and listened to the screams from the early adopters. And they have been very quiet and minor with this release and I feel free to go ahead and update. -- And the screams from the past has been very loud and vocal. I can even remember a release that Apple pulled back within 24 hours because it was so bad.

In all honesty I did have have more issues with 10.5.0 than I did with 10.2.0, 10.3.0 and 10.4.0, OS X 10.1.0 was much "buggier" but that was still very early in OS X's development. Compared to other Operating Systems I've used during their early stages 10.5.0 was quite good and it wasn't like there were severe memory leaks and kernel panics going on, just some annoying quirkiness.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    Quote:

I have read nothing about it anywhere. Can low-level code like that be pumped into the software without the need for beta-testers? Would they even know if the code was there if they weren't using a new Mac Pro?

I'm not so sure the OS will benefit so much from SSE4, but programs run in it will, if they're rewritten slightly.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

C'mon, that should be tecktard, not teckturd. Get your FSJ on and get with it solipsism.

Tecktard, where Do I remember that one from?
  • Reply 71 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 are solid! very impressive in my experience.

However apple should call their new "Smart Folders" Dumb Folders because they only can display "name" "Kind" and "Last Opened" ....

Last Opened??? who cares?

This is my pet-peeve for Leopard, and I mention it each time that there are talks of an update. Search results are awfully limited compared to Tiger, you can't add columns, and like you mentioned the default column are mostly useless.

Another feature that would need some fixes, is Spaces. I've seen some weird things happening with Spaces. For example, when I double-clicked on a Quicktime movie, it opened in QT player, then instantly switched back to the Finder. It did that for a few days (even with a restart) and now it stopped...

Another bug that often happens in Leopard, and I'm pretty sure that's related to Spaces, is that when you open a document from the Finder, its window will appear -behind- other windows of the target app, instead of in front, and that's not just with QT player.

Aside from these, my experience with 10.5 has been very satisfying.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Leopard 10.5.0 had several small but deadly bugs. Within 3 weeks, Apple had corrected them. Those were 3 terrible weeks.

10.5.1 seems pretty spiffy. Not perfect but quite good. 10.5.2 will be the real deal. Currently, 10.4.11 is unbeatable for mission critical machines. Soon, 10.5 may be that good but not yet.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

That's fascinating. Maybe if you actually did use 10.5.0, you would know what an unbaked pie that thing was. But since you didn't, maybe you will not be the best judge. That is OK and I appreciate that you gave us your perspective honestly. You were wise to keep 10.4.

But that is OK. Apple is very good at squashing bugs promptly. They go above and beyond to create an OS that is very stable and very nice. Unlike some here, I do not fault Apple for their steps in creating the world's best OS, 10.5.

The 90-day rule seems to be a good one. 10.5 is going to turn 90 days old soon.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Leopard 10.5.0 had several small but deadly bugs. Within 3 weeks, Apple had corrected them. Those were 3 terrible weeks.

10.5.1 seems pretty spiffy. Not perfect but quite good. 10.5.2 will be the real deal. Currently, 10.4.11 is unbeatable for mission critical machines. Soon, 10.5 may be that good but not yet.

What were those three deadly bugs?

I've seen some minor ones, and a few errors of omission, but nothing deadly.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Quote:

That's fascinating. Maybe if you actually did use 10.5.0, you would know what an unbaked pie that thing was. But since you didn't, maybe you will not be the best judge. That is OK and I appreciate that you gave us your perspective honestly. You were wise to keep 10.4.

But that is OK. Apple is very good at squashing bugs promptly. They go above and beyond to create an OS that is very stable and very nice. Unlike some here, I do not fault Apple for their steps in creating the world's best OS, 10.5.

The 90-day rule seems to be a good one. 10.5 is going to turn 90 days old soon.

You're overdoing it.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    My understanding is the number of fixes is closer a thousand specifically. Apple in the past, on almost every .x release has dozens if not hundreds of unlisted changes that are documented internally, but not externally. All I know is I've talked to a couple engineers I know at Apple and they won't tell me anything (good for them) except that the number of fixes marked as fixed in Radar is far higher than this.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

My understanding is the number of fixes is closer a thousand specifically. Apple in the past, on almost every .x release has dozens if not hundreds of unlisted changes that are documented internally, but not externally. All I know is I've talked to a couple engineers I know at Apple and they won't tell me anything (good for them) except that the number of fixes marked as fixed in Radar is far higher than this.

So instead of Apple releasing "Dock" as an app that was tweaked they internally list every specific code change and reason?
  • Reply 78 of 103
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I think its more than that. Sure there is some of that, but if you read the actual KB articles Apple posts they are pretty specific a lot of times. In the past we've seen many times a change that we could tell in a 10.4.x release that never showed up in the release notes. New drivers. Or bugs fixed that some people saw. Or app developers getting notices that their bug was fixed - but it wasn't covered by any of the KB articles notes.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're overdoing it.

Overdoing what, drugs? Not lately, but 10.5.0 had several problems I can mention such as (1) the "data loss" problem, which struck my brother; (2) MacBook "stuck" problem which Apple corrected via Firmware (computers are hard to use when they're stuck); (3) poor quality installer that wiped a lot of people's drives. A lot of people lost a lot of data because of 10.5.0. It was hairy.

When my brother called Apple, the tech said "they released this thing WAY too early" and according to him/her, the data loss problem was wreaking havoc across the nation. But why would we hear about that? There is no system by which we would know. Only Apple really knows how many calls they got.

They stayed up some very late nights to get 10.5.1 as quick as they did. Their lives depended on it pretty much. Now, everything is stable and decent.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Quote:

Overdoing what, drugs? Not lately, but 10.5.0 had several problems I can mention such as (1) the "data loss" problem, which struck my brother; (2) MacBook "stuck" problem which Apple corrected via Firmware (computers are hard to use when they're stuck); (3) poor quality installer that wiped a lot of people's drives. A lot of people lost a lot of data because of 10.5.0. It was hairy.

When my brother called Apple, the tech said "they released this thing WAY too early" and according to him/her, the data loss problem was wreaking havoc across the nation. But why would we hear about that? There is no system by which we would know. Only Apple really knows how many calls they got.

They stayed up some very late nights to get 10.5.1 as quick as they did. Their lives depended on it pretty much. Now, everything is stable and decent.

Overdoing the statement of problems. Whether that's because of drugs, only you can say.

But I've installed on four machines here at home with very few problems.

I know a fair number of others who also have it and most have also had few problems. a couple of people have had some problems, but one was otherwise software related (his fault), and I really don't remember why the other guy had problems. But this seems typical.

Some people exhibited one or more of the problems, but they have proved to be few, despite the rumors to the contrary.