New Apple Cinema Display?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 193
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I have a thread here that is specifically speculating on when we will see new ACDs, or whether Apple will abandon them altogether.

Why did we need another thread on the same subject?

Jobs gets all excited about making quantum leaps with products. He's no doubt holding out so that he can send out a press release trumpeting Apple's move to an all-LED, mercury-free lineup, and then he'll trash every single competitor who offers LCDs with mercury in them.

Obviously the move is taking longer than thought, which is why they updated the Mac Pros without new displays.
  • Reply 102 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Watts. Longevity. Color.

....incept dates...
  • Reply 103 of 193
    Quote:

<snip> The thinking right now is that if Apple is going to continue selling monitors, then we will see them at NAB in April. That will make it over 2 years since the last refresh.

For me, that may be Apple's last chance to get another $2000 out of my pockets. My Formacs are going on 6 years old and I am in need of a new monitor. NEC's recently announced 30-inch professional monitor will be my next purchase if there is no joy from Apple.

I really was hoping Apple would've come out with new ACDs by now, but as I have a new Mac Pro ordered, I'm going to need an LCD, so unless something is announced this coming Tuesday, I'll most likely order a 24" Eizo.
  • Reply 104 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I think I'm in love with the idea of a super panoramic display! The Alienware and NEC demos from CES sparked my interest:

I was intrigued as well. Then, I saw the NEC unit at Macworld. Wow, does it look like crap when up close and personal. There are three standard panels that make up the "panorama" and it is not seamless between them. Furthermore, the units used must not have been high-end, the color and sharpness was not good.

The Alienware might be more impressive, but the NEC did not look good.
  • Reply 105 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atomicham View Post

I was intrigued as well. Then, I saw the NEC unit at Macworld. Wow, does it look like crap when up close and personal. There are three standard panels that make up the "panorama" and it is not seamless between them. Furthermore, the units used must not have been high-end, the color and sharpness was not good.

The Alienware might be more impressive, but the NEC did not look good.

I think we are talking about two different monitors. I am talking about the 30-inch professional grade LCD monitor, not the wrap around gaming monitor, which I think you are talking about.

I have no interest in gaming. So that monitor wouldn't be on my list.
  • Reply 106 of 193
    Quote:

I think we are talking about two different monitors. I am talking about the 30-inch professional grade LCD monitor, not the wrap around gaming monitor, which I think you are talking about.

I have no interest in gaming. So that monitor wouldn't be on my list.

I'm interested too, and Apple doesn't seem to care for a long overdue update.

What would be the best (graphic use) alternative for the 30" ADC ?
  • Reply 107 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

I'm interested too, and Apple doesn't seem to care for a long overdue update.

What would be the best (graphic use) alternative for the 30" ADC ?

I think that all depends on:
    1. your usage needs and application(s)

2. your budget

I need color accuracy so I'm only interested in what are often referred to as "professional" monitors. These typically use ISP panels, have high bit LUTs (currently I think 12-bit is the standard for high-end monitors) and usually list the percentage of NTSC and Adobe RGB color gamut coverage. Right now the best I have seen is the NEC I was talking about above. But Eizo monitors are also professional grade.

As are/were Apple's ACDs. They are still better than most current standard grade monitors in terms of color accuracy, but their response rates, contrast ratios and color gamut coverages have fallen far behind the professional competition.

My budget for my next monitor is around $2000 USD. I am looking to get a professional grade 30-inch monitor. That is what will fit my needs for my work with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
  • Reply 108 of 193
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    We all know that Apple will announce something new, cool, slick … monitors just after some of us buy something from someone else, because we can't wait any longer

So who's going to be the lucky one to save us all from buying something wo don't want (by purchasing something else now

Skip
  • Reply 109 of 193
    yeh. Knowing them. The LCDs are years old. Time to make with the update, Apple.

Maybe they're waiting for massive backlit monitor sizes. Maybe not.

Expect them by WWDC, I guess...along with re-skinned Mac Pros?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 110 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Expect them by WWDC, I guess...along with re-skinned Mac Pros?

Lemon Bon Bon.

Yeah right. Apple is going to piss off the customers who spend the most per system by obsoleting the Mac Pro within six months of its release.

• Reply 111 of 193
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If they want to make a splash, the NAB Conference [warning: obnoxious, overlong Flash intro] would be the place to do it. Apple can talk up things like color gamut there and the audience will actually know what they're talking about.

Maybe someone will ask them why they so consistently allow the line to fall behind the pack for months before the next update comes out.
  • Reply 112 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

If they want to make a splash, the NAB Conference [warning: obnoxious, overlong Flash intro] would be the place to do it. Apple can talk up things like color gamut there and the audience will actually know what they're talking about.

Maybe someone will ask them why they so consistently allow the line to fall behind the pack for months before the next update comes out.

I agree that NAB is a more apropos venue. And I for vote for new ACDs at NAB if not before.

Hello, Apple? Is this thing on?
  • Reply 113 of 193
    Quote:

I agree that NAB is a more apropos venue. And I for vote for new ACDs at NAB if not before.

Is it just me or does NAB seem "still" too far away for the release of updated ACDs for those who are buying their new Mac Pros?
  • Reply 114 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

Is it just me or does NAB seem "still" too far away for the release of updated ACDs for those who are buying their new Mac Pros?

As someone who ordered a new Mac Pro when they were announced (I'm still waiting for it to ship because I ordered it with the 8800 GT), I would love for Apple to come out with a new ACD today, tomorrow, or fire-up the Way- Back Machine Mr. Peabody and release it yesterday.

It would have been great if it could have been announced at the same time as the new Mac Pros, but for whatever reason it wasn't. All we can do is hope that they come out soon. As I have stated in this and other threads, I have two 5 year-old (going on 6) formac monitors that are beginning to show their age.

I just hope they last me until there are new ACDs. If Apple still hasn't released new ACDs when my current monitors go, then I will look at my options with NEC, or a refurbed ACD.
  • Reply 115 of 193
    Quote:

As I have stated in this and other threads, I have two 5 year-old (going on 6) formac monitors that are beginning to show their age.

Based on comments you made earlier, I took a look at the formac LCDs. Unfortunately, it looks like 20" is the largest they make and I was hoping for a 23-24" w/1920x1200. The formac 20" does 1600x1200 (4:3), yet I had my sites on a widescreen LCD and my 17" PowerBook has 1680x1050, so a 20" formac isn't going to give me truly more space.

Quote:

As someone who ordered a new Mac Pro when they were announced (I'm still waiting for it to ship because I ordered it with the 8800 GT)

I've been holding off on ordering that same configuration, hoping that Apple would come out with a new 23-24" ACD before I ordered. As I'll be moving from the PowerBook to the Mac Pro, I'm stuck in that I need to buy an LCD. Guess, I'll have to be patient.
  • Reply 116 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

Based on comments you made earlier, I took a look at the formac LCDs. Unfortunately, it looks like 20" is the largest they make and I was hoping for a 23-24" w/1920x1200. The formac 20" does 1600x1200 (4:3), yet I had my sites on a widescreen LCD and my 17" PowerBook has 1680x1050, so a 20" formac isn't going to give me truly more space.

You lost me here...were you wanting to buy my old monitors?

Or did you think I was recommending them as a replacement for an ACD?

Neither is what I intended, although if you want to buy my monitors when I replace them I will gladly sell them to you at a reasonable price.

To the best of my knowledge, Formac is out of business in the US (where I am). And I am not sure that they are still in business in Europe either. Their monitor tech that I have seen online is several years old (hence my question as to whether they are even in business anymore).

The only monitors that I am considering purchasing at this time are new ACDs (if they ever come), NEC's professional series of monitors or refurbished ACDs if the price is right (I would view that purchase as a stop-gap not a solution).

Formac monitors were fine 5 years ago when I bought them, but today they are way behind modern capabilities.
  • Reply 117 of 193
    So the answer is really easy, i recently posted it in another thread

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83441

so basically the reason is because there is very little to upgrade

They use Dual Link DVI that maxes out at 2560 x 1600

The latest connectors (HDMI/DisplayPort) also max out there (10 Gbit/s)

But HDMI 1.3b Type B and DisplayPort 2.0 (20 Gbit/s) are coming out soon probably in spring or summer so

So then NAB or WWDC is about right

Beyond that there are also some other small things (color gamut is increased slightly) but this isnt groundbreaking unlike a 3000+ x 2000+ display that is affordable

The reason that they will do this is because for all DisplayPort connectors one can use a little connector to switch to any other kind
  • Reply 118 of 193
    Quote:

You lost me here...were you wanting to buy my old monitors? <snip> Or did you think I was recommending them as a replacement for an ACD?

I obviously misunderstood. I thought you were recommending them... and no, I wasn't interested in buying your old monitors.
  • Reply 119 of 193
    i would be happy to take the 24" H-IPS panel in the iMac, in the same casing, any day. Well, maybe a little lower in price than the current 23", given how the market trend is going.
  • Reply 120 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

....incept dates...

All I know is that Dell monitors suffer from accelerated decrepitude.