Apple shares bleed red ahead of afternoon earnings report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

I may seem stupid, but I ask one question: Who (If anyone) is workig on the next generation OS?

Linux people, Microsoft and Apple are the major players and they are all working on the next OS. As an OS matures the complexity increases which keeps pushing the time between releases further. I don't think we'll get a preview of the next OS X version until MacWorld '09, but that is complete speculation and there is surely someone will tell have there own opinion on the matter. If there is anything we have an abundance here at AI, it's opinions.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I may seem stupid, but I ask one question: Who (If anyone) is workig on the next generation OS?

Probably many of the same people that worked on 10.5. They don't need to reveal anything about their work on 10.6 until WWDC.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Well the market is down over-all

I watch 64 stocks on my screen at any given time, whic run the gamet of tech, oil, medical, food stocks, and here's my current breakdown

7 - green, going up some amount (SIRI, ABD, Akam, AMSC, DIVX, ARTE up some)

1 going down more then I'd like (Adobe 4.13%)

ALL of the rest are down marginly, BUT down

Hell Google is down from a year high of $747.24 down to $587.31 … that's got to hurt some

We won't see Apple or many of these going up until tomorrow - if I'm / we're lucky.

Skip

PS I'm keeping my shares and hoping Steve doesn't shitthebed any time soon.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is there a good way to get a stock trading account in a timely manner? I don't do much by the way of investments outside of mutual funds in a 401k.

Ah, patience! There are many more quarters to come. So, go ahead and set it up.....

(Btw - and this is not at all an endorsement, and each person's mileage may vary -- but I use schwab.com. They seem fine.)
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is there a good way to get a stock trading account in a timely manner? I don't do much by the way of investments outside of mutual funds in a 401k.

Sure. Go to scottrade.com, find a local branch, call them to confirm, but I believe you can bring certified funds and get trading in a day or so.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I just bought a quick ?10,000 worth
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

It matters little what is said on the call - in its usual fashion Apple will refuse to answer questions. Just listen to COO Oppenheimer's past responses on these meaningless calls.

The bottom line is that any investor who doubled his money on AAPL in 2007 can do so again in 2008.

Only this time you have to sell the stock short. It's the economy, not the company, that's the issue.

Let's think why, for all those blinded Apple fanboys out there:

1 - The world is at the start of a multi-quarter recession

2 - Home equity lines of credit are tapped out

3 - People are losing jobs- not just blue collar and government jobs (PC buyers) but nice, clean jobs in finance and management (Mac buyers)

4 - No one needs another iPod or Mac when the priority is putting food on the table and gas in the SUV

But even if you deny all of the above, just name another $100bn public company with ZERO succession planning. Just one whiff of another cancer scare (God forbid) for Mr. Jobs, or maybe a fall on that new yacht of his, and say goodbye to the stock and the company. Shame really. They clearly make superior products. And any analyst worthy of the title should be asking about that, not about earnings per share projections.

BTW, we are a 100% Mac/iPod/iPhone/iDog (unannounced but coming soon) household. That doesn't make the stock a buy either.

iDog? I guess you don't know about: http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...oduct_id=16724

And, the rest of your post sounded about as informed.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    The thing that leapt out of the article at me wasn't any real information about Apple's financial health and stock prospects -- more a journalism 101 piece -- it was that the publisher's view of Apple, Inc. was not of a computer maker, media giant, digital pioneering phoenix, etc., but simple "the gadget maker."

Apple Inc: "Think trinkets." Not quite the same motto somehow.

Which certainly says something about how the non-fanboy (and fangirl) community sees our icon.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Linux people, Microsoft and Apple are the major players and they are all working on the next OS. As an OS matures the complexity increases which keeps pushing the time between releases further. I don't think we'll get a preview of the next OS X version until MacWorld '09, but that is complete speculation and there is surely someone will tell have there own opinion on the matter. If there is anything we have an abundance here at AI, it's opinions.

I asked this because I remember once reading an AI article about the guy leading the team on Leopard (don't remember it's name) leaving the company about a year ago or so. I didn't see it as a good omen at the time either... Then again, maybe I'm wrong!
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

I asked this because I remember once reading an AI article about the guy leading the team on Leopard (don't remember it's name) leaving the company about a year ago or so. I didn't see it as a good omen at the time either... Then again, maybe I'm wrong!

Gotcha. There is also a position that 10.6 will be released faster now that we have the Intel transition out of the way and the iPhone (running ARM11) and AppleTV OS X redesigning out of the way. Meaning, the OS X developers can now promote more time to the evolution of Mac OS X instead of trying to shoehorn OS X into new hardware platforms.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

But even if you deny all of the above, just name another $100bn public company with ZERO succession planning.

And you know this because you're on the board of directors?
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

Gotcha. There is also a position that 10.6 will be released faster now that we have the Intel transition out of the way and the iPhone (running ARM11) and AppleTV OS X redesigning out of the way. Meaning, the OS X developers can now promote more time to the evolution of Mac OS X instead of trying to shoehorn OS X into new hardware platforms.

Yeah, ok, still I saw things like the os not coping very well with 8 cores, add to this all the 3rd party software that simply misses support mostly for 4 cores or 64 bit on Intel, not to mention 8 cores!

So, I still see here an issue. Yet again, maybe I am the 1 who's wrong, I didn't really dig things as of now!
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

Well I can see what the problem is here - The SUV

Hahaha, so true. If you would've bought a Ford Focus instead, you could've brought a couple of Mac Pros home!

-Clive
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

Well I can see what the problem is here - The SUV

haha!

In other news I just doubled my investment in Apple, thanks recession, I owe you one.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

Yeah, ok, still I saw things like the os not coping very well with 8 cores, add to this all the 3rd party software that simply misses support mostly for 4 cores or 64 bit on Intel, not to mention 8 cores!

So, I still see here an issue. Yet again, maybe I am the 1 who's wrong, I didn't really dig things as of now!

I'm sure others will chime in soon, but I think Leopard and Tiger handle multiple cores just fine. It's the apps that need catching up, and some of them are from Apple, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

But even if you deny all of the above, just name another $100bn public company with ZERO succession planning. Just one whiff of another cancer scare (God forbid) for Mr. Jobs, or maybe a fall on that new yacht of his, and say goodbye to the stock and the company. Shame really. They clearly make superior products. And any analyst worthy of the title should be asking about that, not about earnings per share projections.

What? That Jobs may get ill or fall on his yacht?

Or are you telling us that all $100bn companies have succession plans for public viewing?

I remember when my cousin asked his dad if he had a succession plan, he answered, "Yep, but unfortunately,?"

"I wrote it," interjected his mom, while whacking my cousin on the back of his head.

Nobody has raised the issue since.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:

While I doubt that the Intel transition severely hampers the OS X dev team, I can do nothing but agree with your next point. As long as 2008 remains the year of "No New Gadgets," OS X will receive the due attention it needs.

That being said, however, I don't think there's a whole lot more Apple can squeeze out of OS X. I think it's time for them to start working on "The Next Big Thing."

Besides, if Apple isn't forcing the developers and users through SOME sort of transition, I think my life would lose any sort of direction whatsoever!

-Clive
  • Reply 38 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Eight cores is a bit much unless you're using one of the few apps that can exploit it. The OS can handle it even if it's slightly non-ideal (very slightly).

But if you're using the machine for paying creative work, then the next version of all your apps can probably take advantage of it. Otherwise, you can buy the $2299 machine with just one quad core chip and it will do you fine.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, patience! There are many more quarters to come. So, go ahead and set it up.....

(Btw - and this is not at all an endorsement, and each person's mileage may vary -- but I use schwab.com. They seem fine.)

I use Schwab.com also. I used to use e-Trade until they missed an order of mine, but this was years ago... before the dot-bust. Schwab has been fine.

I recommend opening an account with $500 or $1000 to start out, just so you can learn to read the market, do your own research, and find out who's full of it (plenty of people love to give out bad advice). After 2 or 3 years of playing around and learning how to safely invest, keep increasing the amounts you feel safe investing.

Take your time. The stock market will be around for a while.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just bought a quick ?10,000 worth

Whoa... You sir, are a human bomb.