Apple shares bleed red ahead of afternoon earnings report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

I may seem stupid, but I ask one question: Who (If anyone) is workig on the next generation OS?

my mate dave
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BUY? It said the shares recessed like crazy! WTF..... you don't know anything. If you buy, you will lose. The shares went down because of the MacBook Air.

are you saying the entire market has crashed because of the macbook air???

Dude what the heck are you talking about??? microsoft has taken a bigger hit them apple at the market, and so has ATT & Verizon, when these companies shares drop a dollars its maybe equal to $10 or $20 dolllars of apples shares. Also the macbook air is a class A product it may not look appealing to you because it was not meant for the everyone, this product will only be appealing to someone that has a computer at home but its always on the road or is a frequent traveler who is always away from home and will like to access his home computer from the macbook air and so on
  • Reply 43 of 68
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I love this action. Keep tumbling please

Maybe I'll jump onboard at 130 or so
  • Reply 44 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

While I doubt that the Intel transition severely hampers the OS X dev team, I can do nothing but agree with your next point.

When Apple ported Mac OS X to Intel, which is presumed to have never stopped as NeXT was using Intel, and combining the binaries for a Universal build wouldn't be the huge feat I was referring to. The major effort I am talking about with the Intel transition is Rosetta. Getting PPC apps run on seamlessly on Intel at useable speeds. Wouldn't that program need to be created by those closest to Mac OS X?
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

are you saying the entire market has crashed because of the macbook air???

Dude what the heck are you talking about??? microsoft has taken a bigger hit them apple at the market, and so has ATT & Verizon, when these companies shares drop a dollars its maybe equal to $10 or $20 dolllars of apples shares. Also the macbook air is a class A product it may not look appealing to you because it was not meant for the everyone, this product will only be appealing to someone that has a computer at home but its always on the road or is a frequent traveler who is always away from home and will like to access his home computer from the macbook air and so on

Of course the Macbook Air crashed the whole market! What's wrong with you!

And Ireland: Rock on!
  • Reply 46 of 68
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I may seem stupid, but I ask one question: Who (If anyone) is workig on the next generation OS?

Why does this generation of OS need replacing? What do you want it to do that it can't?
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

Only this time you have to sell the stock short. It's the economy, not the company, that's the issue.

If you feel that so strongly, have you actually shorted it? I doubt it.

I think there may be more dips in the future, but I think apple is in a good position to ride out a bumpy economic road. I bought more AAPL after the keynote, and I'm confident that a year from now it will be up considerably.

Time will tell who's right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Probably many of the same people that worked on 10.5. They don't need to reveal anything about their work on 10.6 until WWDC.

I've always heard that there are two teams that work on alternating releases. That would mean that the 10.4 guys are working on 10.6 while the guys who did 10.5 are continuing on with 10.5.2 and further updates to it. But who knows...
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure others will chime in soon, but I think Leopard and Tiger handle multiple cores just fine. It's the apps that need catching up, and some of them are from Apple, if I'm not mistaken.

Guess you're right, but I still worry a bit because I heard no real interest in optimising software for more then 2 or 4 cores the most.

I saw Tiger and Leopard handling cores ok, but are they really optimised for more? Red recently about some benchmarks and the reviewers concluded that there's still lack of software making GOOD use of multiple cores and that there is nothing really out there to take advantage of the SSE4 instruction set either.

So, in my opinion, If it won't be soon enough for good software (I mean like CS from Adobe or Apple's own many others) to play in the open, then the public interest in miracle hardware we are used to receive from Apple will slowly fade away. No question that now we witness a boom of switchers, but sooner or later they will come to a point that they will say "OK, what now?".

Now maybe I'm not a visionary, but just what If people will become desillusioned by The Company and its greedy policy and turn for cheaper, maybe not so fancy but still working hardware? I know it souns surreal, but I am analysing myself: I am a Mac user since 1994, when I bought my first $1200 or so LC630. At the time I was astonished of its beauty and power. Then came the clockwars, Amelio and so on. I bought the next Mac, a MDD PM G4 2x1.42ghz an then the first imac 17" her iSight 20" and in the end the G5 dual 2.7ghz PM(which I still use). Now the wife's 15"MBP. I always felt the hunger for power, more power. And I went for it, but now I feel that this hunger almost faded away.

I intend to do some music, I've got Logic, Final Cut Studio for future movie ventures or whatever. But I can't really see a clear roadmap for the Mac. OK, the Mac Pro is there for the prosumers, but there is something unclear in the future: the behemoths like the Mac Pro or any other workhorses don't have real future, in my opinion. Everything is coming to the household and the need for power will eventually subdue, as, by now, you can do almost anything on a laptop; so why go for anything more?

So, If there is anything to do out there, I guess is something more than the eyecandy the Leo really is (again, in my opinion, despite the few pros it features though). Something to be able to really USE horsepower, not just to COPE with it, in order to drive tech development further; or else we come to a dead end, just like the Neanderthalers did.

Or, perhaps it's just me being one of them...
  • Reply 49 of 68
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    My prediction is for 2.474 million Macs sold. Breakdown as follows:
    • 1.565 million portables

• 909,000 desktops

• Reply 50 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I can't wait until Mel Gross rips you a new one.

Well, actually I agree with most of what he's saying.

The question for Apple in all of this is whether they can keep their sales above that of the general markets they compete in.

If they can do that, they should be fine. But, if they can't then they will have problems.

But, this recession, will like all others, end. At that point, I thin that Apple's sales wil rebound faster than many others.

I was at a Best Buy in Queens (NYC) Monday, for reasons that had nothing to do with Apple, but my daughter wanted to go by the Apple area, so that she could play with the iMac 24" for a couplr of minutes, as that will be her new computer once the upgrades come out.

To our surprise, while the store (in a mall) had few people wander ound overall, and few customers in the computer area, there were 12 people in the Apple section, small though it is. they were being helped by two employees.

Needless to say, we didn't linger.

I think this bodes well. I've never seen this before.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

To our surprise, while the store (in a mall) had few people wander ound overall, and few customers in the computer area, there were 12 people in the Apple section, small though it is. they were being helped by two employees.

Where they Apple or Best Buy employees? I'm curious if they were helping them to buy a Mac or helping them to buy something else. That seems to be the consensus at about Best Buy staff.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You are kidding right?

The entire world market is down right now. The shear fear of recession is bringing the entire economy down.

Strange isn't it... fear of recession is creating it.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    I rekon the number of Mac's sold is gonna be pretty spectacular if reports from the ground are anything to go by.

Airports (real ones)

Apple stores

University Campuses

bla

Countless people with tales to tell of abnormally good apple sales over the last few months.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where they Apple or Best Buy employees? I'm curious if they were helping them to buy a Mac or helping them to buy something else. That seems to be the consensus at about Best Buy staff.

They both wore black T-shirts, I didn't see from the front.

But, they were very definitely helping the customers on the Macs. Both of them were showing people features of the machines and were doing things on the keyboards, and then pointing to the screens and explaining, while some people nodded their heads.

The consensus about BB is laced with opinions from people who don't want to see Apple selling anything from anywhere other than their own website, and stores.

I've been in several BB's since this latest initiative, and have not seen a problem. Others have reported the same thing.

But the thing that was of interest in this big store, with a big computer department was that there were almost as many people in that small Apple section as in the entire computer section other than that one.

This is one way analysts see how well a company is doing. They, or their assistants, spend some time in the retail space, and see what customers are doing. This tells me that there is a lot of interest in Apple's products. we can't tell that in a Apple store. It must be somewhere else.

And a recent report, which was posted here, as well as in other places, stated that 31% of people in the US owned at least one Apple product ( some age was given for the youngest of those counted, but I don't remember what it was), up from the low 20's same time last year. That tends to confirm it.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Strange isn't it... fear of recession is creating it.

I don't think it's the only thing.

People didn't seem to be that worried about it until last quarter's job data came out last week, and really got worried about it when more data came out since then.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    oops, double post.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

My prediction is for 2.474 million Macs sold. Breakdown as follows:
    • 1.565 million portables

• 909,000 desktops

Why do you have four significant figures in your prediction? Or are you mocking the Piper Jaffray figures?
  • Reply 58 of 68
    aapl dropping like mad after hours.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ok fine, no problem. we will see, check back in a year or two from now.

It's probably too early to say "I told you so", but I'll go ahead and say it anyways. AAPL at $136 now.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Guess you're right, but I still worry a bit because I heard no real interest in optimising software for more then 2 or 4 cores the most.

I saw Tiger and Leopard handling cores ok, but are they really optimised for more? Red recently about some benchmarks and the reviewers concluded that there's still lack of software making GOOD use of multiple cores and that there is nothing really out there to take advantage of the SSE4 instruction set either.

So, in my opinion, If it won't be soon enough for good software (I mean like CS from Adobe or Apple's own many others) to play in the open, then the public interest in miracle hardware we are used to receive from Apple will slowly fade away. No question that now we witness a boom of switchers, but sooner or later they will come to a point that they will say "OK, what now?".

What now? Well one thing I would like is a better way to interact with computers, I am tired of the old mouse-window interface. I don't want to be managing documents, why do I still need to save "files" in a modern operating system? I know, that is because applications do crash. Can we address that first?