Apple profits rise 58 percent as Mac sales top 2.3 million

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

Yea they have never had a heavier lead anchor than the MBA either. This thing will continue to cause these terrible stock drops. I feel bad for anyone with AAPL right now.

Ah... the smell of envy.

You're just angry because you can't afford to buy AAPL stock, right?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

So why is stock down 18 points? thats how much it should be up!

Low quidance for next quarter. This is what always pulls Apple's stock down after the call, or after numbers are released.

This time, it was helped by the lower numbers of iPods sold, and the problems in the economy, and market together.

It's a conspiracy of events.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It could also go to zero. Nothing is guaranteed.

Where did you get that figure? Google finance shows $140.

The numbers on my real time account show 138.26 to 138.48 as of 6:32.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple might be a little high in their estimates this time around, especially considering that the severity of the upcoming recession is not known yet. The ramifications from the debt crises are not fully known yet, and so far we have seen devastating results for most of the lenders and banks out there.

I doubt it. Apple has economists on their staff as does every other large company. They are just as qualified as you are to work this into their estimates.

The market is usually hysterical in its actions, both on the upside, where Apple was too high, and on the downside, where Apple is now too low.

I plan to buy more later this week, as I did last week.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Yea they have never had a heavier lead anchor than the MBA either. This thing will continue to cause these terrible stock drops. I feel bad for anyone with AAPL right now.

The one thing that has really amazed me today...

So many doom and gloom posts on different boards...and I have yet to see anyone use the term "beleaguered". Seriously, if you want to be taken seriously as a doomsayer, you have to use the B word.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    great news. nothing like a market overreaction on he downside to make my share buying day.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Spoken like a true expert. So which Fortune 500 company did you build?

• Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The one thing that has really amazed me today...

So many doom and gloom posts on different boards...and I have yet to see anyone use the term "beleaguered". Seriously, if you want to be taken seriously as a doomsayer, you have to use the B word.

That's funny.

Notwithstanding after-hours, let's see what Apple (and the market) does tomorrow. I think that cooler heads will prevail.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Maybe it's because people are equating Apple to be only the iPod and see that they only had 5% growth in iPod sales, and they are totally ignoring the strong increase in Mac sales and huge leaps in profit?

Maybe now is the time to buy more Apple?

Totally correct on both counts. If people only know about Apple though iPods then they need an education.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Totally correct on both counts. If people only know about Apple though iPods then they need an education.

true and also this from the conference call: Apple may have traded unit volume in the short term but believes it made the right decision. ipod were not so strong YOY in iPod sales growth not because of saturation but because the touch was more expensive. revenue was 15 up.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ctory-workers/

According to this, ipod workers are paid $50 a month. This needs context, becasue $50 a month may go along way.

$50 (im assuming US$) = (around) 350 Chinese dollars, per month. By comparison, a primary school teacher in a poor province would earn about 1500-2200 Chinese dollars a month, with insurance and housing support (as well as only 8-9 hour days).

A worker I know who does a really manual job in the railway in a poorer city, gets around 1000 per month, with benefits (and free decent housing).

So, in light of this, the praise for the huge profits is quite disturbing.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg07 View Post

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ctory-workers/

According to this, ipod workers are paid $50 a month. This needs context, becasue $50 a month may go along way.

$50 (im assuming US$) = (around) 350 Chinese dollars, per month. By comparison, a primary school teacher in a poor province would earn about 1500-2200 Chinese dollars a month, with insurance and housing support (as well as only 8-9 hour days).

A worker I know who does a really manual job in the railway in a poorer city, gets around 1000 per month, with benefits (and free decent housing).

So, in light of this, the praise for the huge profits is quite disturbing.

If physical labour in the railways pays you three times more, what exactly is the reason for skilled labour to be stuck working on a iPod assembly unit? Don't tell me Apple is the De Beers of the electronics industry with machine gun mounted helicopters and the government and military in their payroll! Maybe iPods should carry a sticker on them stating "No humans and dolphins were killed during the manufacture of this unit."

Better still, lets start a trolls anonymous support group for AI.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

If physical labour in the railways pays you three times more, what exactly is the reason for skilled labour to be stuck working on a iPod assembly unit? Don't tell me Apple is the De Beers of the electronics industry with machine gun mounted helicopters and the government and military in their payroll! Maybe iPods should carry a sticker on them stating "No humans and dolphins were killed during the manufacture of this unit."

Better still, lets start a trolls anonymous support group for AI.

Workers in factories have actually been striking the past 18 months or so, and have been getting much better saleries and benefits.

Interestingly, interviews with factory managers and owners have shown that it's getting harder to find workers for factories. There is a labor SHORTAGE!.

One reason given is that as the economy in the countryside has gotten better, fewer prople have been migrating to factory towns. Those who are left have demanded better conditions, and managers have been obligated to give it to them.

This isn't surprising, except in that it's already happening.

The vast amount of pollution, and the erratic production of electricity, in China, is also causing steep rises in production costs.

Amazingly enough, some Chinese companies have been opening factories in Vietnam because they feel they are being squeezed by customers demanding lower prices, and workers demanding more salary and benefits.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    The problem is Steve Jobs spent about 27 billion dollars to develop the MBA that is the reason it is so expensive- its really a catch 22.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

The problem is Steve Jobs spent about 27 billion dollars to develop the MBA that is the reason it is so expensive- its really a catch 22.

Go and take your ill considered comments somewhere else, like a Dell forum or something. I'd bet Apple spent more developing the iPhone than the MBA.

Enjoy your delusional rantings, I do.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Apple is teh doomed, ind33d.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Stop with your idiotic lies. Stupid troll. If you're going to make up numbers, make one up that doesn't sound like a zealot made it up. You keep clutching that stupid notion that the MBAir is killing Apple. Even if MBAir doesn't sell a single unit, it's not going to kill Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    That was a well hidden 27B cost for the MBA. Maybe he funded it himself because it didn't show up in Apples figures.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

great news. nothing like a market overreaction on he downside to make my share buying day.

+++ Record profits, record units sold, new iPhone generating a continuing source of revenue. Wish I had more savings to invest in more AAPL.

There may be further declines, but the future of AAPL is very bright. The P/E ratio is very low at about 29, has been in the upper 40s and it will be back there soon enough.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Jobs funded this personally to keep it out of public records. I saw John Stossell do a story on this the other day how Bill Gates does the same thing- Everything they have done costs 4 times what they said.