MacBook (non-pro) Refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    That really depends on a number of factors. I'd venture that the design of the Air is stronger than the Macbook Pros currently shipping due to its curves which help lend extra rigidity.

I've had machines of both types and the plastic ones seem stronger overall. The finish on the black one also resists scratches extremely well. I've also got an old "icebook" iBook (700 MHz G3 12" circa 2002). That's a fairly chunky machine by todays' standards, but it's a tank.

I'm not bagging on the Aluminum in the Macbook Pros, just contrasting my experiences with the two types.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    but I think, honestly because of the grean environment thing that Apple had it goin on, the MB is going to be aluminium in the next update. Mostlikely they will try to be fully green by this year so on next year MacWorld, Jobs can announce something like 08 has mark a leapstone for us cause all our products is now environmental friendly blah blah blah.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    You made me cringe, when you mentioned dropping an Air, much less on purpose. Cruel, so cruel. Can't wait for mine to arrive, come on Feb. 6th...
  • Reply 24 of 48
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    i cant wait anymore ! i wanna buy and i am gonna buy a mac book but if an update comes by nextmonth ( i am really unlucky !
  • Reply 25 of 48
    The macbook plastic isn't rugged, the hardware maybe but the casing sure isn't....don't get me wrong I love it but I wish it were made of alu
  • Reply 26 of 48
    YMMV but I'd put money on the Macbook's plastic enclosure holding up better than the aluminum over time.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Now would be a great time to buy a MacBook. The only plausible speedbump to the MacBook in the next six months is a switch to Penryn processors. The MacBook will surely get Montevina well after the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air i.e. not in the next six months. There is no other technology coming in the next six months that could drive a MacBook speedbump.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    hmm, I dont understand why the points bout aluminium and plastic is contradicting each other.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Which ones?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Now would be a great time to buy a MacBook. The only plausible speedbump to the MacBook in the next six months is a switch to Penryn processors. The MacBook will surely get Montevina well after the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air i.e. not in the next six months. There is no other technology coming in the next six months that could drive a MacBook speedbump.

There is an entire line of Penryn processors for Santa Rosa.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Which ones?

There is no definate answer in which material is stronger, some people say plastic is more rugged while some say alu. So which is it, im getting confused.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    I spoke from experience having owned both and said the plastic held up better IMO. Having taken apart an aluminum Powerbook, the aluminum is pretty thin. I'm not saying it's flimsy, and it's definately tougher than the old "titanium" Powerbooks", but to me the plastic in the new Macbooks is some tough stuff and my black one shows no marks at all after being pushed off a table.

Aluminum *does* have the potential to be stronger, I just feel that in this case the Macbook Pro's aluminum case is more for appearance than strength.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

While I can't speak to the virtues of the white one as I haven't dropped one yet, I can safely say that the black doesn't scratch easily at all.

Ditto. Looks the sharpest as well.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

I spoke from experience having owned both and said the plastic held up better IMO. Having taken apart an aluminum Powerbook, the aluminum is pretty thin. I'm not saying it's flimsy, and it's definately tougher than the old "titanium" Powerbooks", but to me the plastic in the new Macbooks is some tough stuff and my black one shows no marks at all after being pushed off a table.

Aluminum *does* have the potential to be stronger, I just feel that in this case the Macbook Pro's aluminum case is more for appearance than strength.

I have seen some dented Macbook pros. Not pretty.

That being said I think you should focus more on what the Macbooks and Macbook pros can DO. I think most people who go Pro don't really need one and never use it's full capabilities. Macbooks are powerful and more portable. Course if you aren't the one paying for the price difference, get the most powerful Macbook pro you can.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

There is an entire line of Penryn processors for Santa Rosa.

The MacBook will certainly not get Penryn before the MacBook Pro and probably not before the MacBook Air. Since the MacBook Air already has a Merom/Penryn hybrid and is not even shipping yet, I think we have a while to wait before we see an update to the MacBook.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I believe aluminum holds up better. My MacBook has cracked twice already in one year. When I get my next MacBook, it will be metal. I will spend extra for a Pro if I have to. Search "crackbook" on Flickr and see what I mean.

Quote:

YMMV but I'd put money on the Macbook's plastic enclosure holding up better than the aluminum over time.

• Reply 37 of 48
    When Steve Jobs introduced the MBA at MacWorld, he was making pro-environment arguments for using aluminum...

If you look at some other Apple products that used to use plastic (but are now aluminum), such as the iPod Classic and the iMac, this leads me to think that (for sake of the environment) that Apple would make the next MB in aluminum, just to sort of complete the transition to this material.

And they might make the shell in grey and black just like the current iPod Nano (or the previous generation of Nano's)? Which actually makes me wonder, what are the chances do you think that Apple would launch the MB in aluminum and different colors just like the iPods?

While I would like to see a GPU and back lit keyboard, if these were introduced, it would basically make the MB into the MBP (which I doubt will happen, unless the MBP received a revolutionary upgrade, both internally and externally).
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

When Steve Jobs introduced the MBA at MacWorld, he was making pro-environment arguments for using aluminum...

If you look at some other Apple products that used to use plastic (but are now aluminum), such as the iPod Classic and the iMac, this leads me to think that (for sake of the environment) that Apple would make the next MB in aluminum, just to sort of complete the transition to this material.

And they might make the shell in grey and black just like the current iPod Nano (or the previous generation of Nano's)? Which actually makes me wonder, what are the chances do you think that Apple would launch the MB in aluminum and different colors just like the iPods?

While I would like to see a GPU and back lit keyboard, if these were introduced, it would basically make the MB into the MBP (which I doubt will happen, unless the MBP received a revolutionary upgrade, both internally and externally).

I think the case for aluminium is well made, pun intended. I am sure that eco-friendly concerns are very relevant to future Apple designs, especially as we enter an era of disposable electronics.

Aluminium MacBooks prototypes have definitely been seen at Cupertino. I am not the only person to report this, so I think an update must surely be in the works. my guestimate is September and not before MacBook Pros get a refresh.

A lot of people want the power of a MacBook Pro with the form factor of a MacBook Air plus DVD drive, Ethernet, Firewire, and USB ports: in other words they want a 13" MacBook Pro in aluminium.

I'd certainly prefer a MacBook with the power of a MacBook Pro. I am not alone and i think we are fast approaching an all-aluminium range of Apple laptops. If so, then I'd like to see an Apple range something like this:

MacBook 13" LED DVD, 6 ports (Ethernet, Firewire, Video, 3 x USB), 512Gb SSD: 4 lbs

MacBook Air 13" LED, 4 ports (Ethernet, Video, 2 x USB), 512Gb SSD: 3 lbs

MacBook Pro 15" LED, DVD, 6 ports (Ethernet, Firewire, Video, 3 x USB), 1064 Gb SSD: 5 lbs

MacBook Pro 17" LED, DVD, 6 ports (Ethernet, Firewire, Video, 3 x USB), 1064 Gb SSD: 6 lbs

All with removeable batteries, please.

All with SSD as the unversal standard for all laptop hard drives.

All using the samefamily of Core 2 Duo mobile laptops with Montevina ranging from 2.2 Ghz to 2.8 GHz speeds.

All with 802.11n /WiMax/ Bluetooth
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

All with SSD as the unversal standard for all laptop hard drives.

Right now, SSD is expansive to put in all laptops.

Your ideas are great and the LED and Aluminium case is a guarantee to become in future MB's
  • Reply 40 of 48
    i know this is off topic but will a new macbook that has wireless n tech work on a wireless g router?

also i am looking to buy a new computer in the next week or two and was originally waiting for an update to the mac mini but have decided on the macbook now.. so everyone thinks its safe to buy now?