Neo

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just can't get it to work. I find people, search, but I can't download. I'm using ADSL, ie Lan connection, so it isn't the speed. Help please

Dale Mox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Neo really sucks for the most part.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Neo really sucks for the most part.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Couldnt agree more with EmAn it really sucks!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>

Couldnt agree more with EmAn it really sucks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok. Any substitutes to download thru Kazaa networks? I have a friend who has what I want. So I need to connect to him and he uses Kazaa.

Btw, how well would it work if I installed say Win98 thru VirtualPC, and downloaded Kazaa?

Thank you

Dale Mox
  • Reply 4 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>

Ok. Any substitutes to download thru Kazaa networks? I have a friend who has what I want. So I need to connect to him and he uses Kazaa.

Btw, how well would it work if I installed say Win98 thru VirtualPC, and downloaded Kazaa?

Thank you

Dale Mox</strong><hr></blockquote>

As long as VirtualPC works ok on your computer then it should work fine.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    You can of course just get him to FTP them to your machine.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    one sentence:

mac file sharing progz don't work how they should!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    God, why? The idiots. Why?

Neo probably isn't working because you haven't searched any IP ranges for Kazaa hosts! The way Neo works as a "shadow client" is that it doesn't connect to the Kazaa network, it doesn't have Kazaa spyware, and you aren't at the mercy of Kazaa's servers, you have to go out and find Kazaa servers and access them yourself (well, through Neo's extremely simple interface). You can do this two or three ways: downloading from the Master List of hosts that have been found, scanning the predefined IP ranges built in to Neo, or inputting your own IP ranges, such as for your broadband ISP, and scanning those for hosts. Once a host is found, it is queried, and a list of it's files is cached, as well as that it is a known server. Then when you search, it looks at that database, and when you find what you want, it goes back to that server and gets it. Of course, it still ahs to be online, such as with other p2p services, but it'll also show that Neo has found the files on offline servers, which oftentimes confuses the simpletons among us and leads them to believe that Neo sucks and nothing ever works.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    KaZaA bites the big one..... Direct Connect is better....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Direct Connect is not a P2P program! It's more like a reborn Hotline. In other words you have to browse through tons of different servers yourself to find stuff. P2P programs let you search across tons of different servers without you having to specify which ones. No comparison whatsoever.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by cygsid:

<strong>Direct Connect is not a P2P program! It's more like a reborn Hotline. In other words you have to browse through tons of different servers yourself to find stuff. P2P programs let you search across tons of different servers without you having to specify which ones. No comparison whatsoever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ahem... with DC for Mac OS X you can connect to many hubs at a time and search em all at once if you choose. and it IS a p2p... u connect directly to the person who has the file(s) you want. Peer2Peer. You can connect to as many hubs at a time as your bandwidth allows. And it cant compare to Hotline/Carracho etc. DC is also a Napster alternative in a way...