upcoming macbook pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaround View Post

Leaked

it's fake ... i want it so bad to pop out soon , but this is definitely faked.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Great concept, but not good enough!

Quote:

Whether you’re creating 3D animation ... an amazingly high-resolution 1240-by-920-pixels.

Ahem.

The main professional 3D animation package availble for the Mac is Autodesk Maya. Maya 2008 - according to its own specs - requires a minimum screen resolution of 1280x1024 or not all menus will be viewable/usable.

920 vertical pixels? - sorry, not good enough for 3D animation!

Get the screen res up to 1680x1050 (or at least 1280x1024) then we're talking!

Thank you!

But it's always nice to dream...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I think it's a fake.

First, I doubt that Apple will continue with the old display latch system when they can hold the MBP closed with the magnetic latch. I've replaced the latch on my pB 3 times and it needs it again.

Second, the optical drive appears to be set too high. On my PB it's in the middle.

Third, I wouldn't be surprised if the new MBPs took a bit of the tapering design of the MBA. Clearly not as much, but the MBA presents the current design thoughts for notebooks and I can see some influence moving to the MBP line.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb12 View Post

All good things to those who wait.

Here's the white version, same specs...

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 6 of 24
    They wont be a 12" MBP cause the screen size is too small for designers. Besides MBP hardware specs clearly says that its more towards people who use it for pics and stuffs (Which a 12" screen wont cut it). Why would a ultraportable person want a GeForce 8600M GT?

And you need to remember that if they offer a 12" MBP, then the MBA will be in trouble.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

And you need to remember that if they offer a 12" MBP, then the MBA will be in trouble.

You're right - unfortunately.

Too bad that Apple abandoned the 12" full-featured notebook.

Yet with resolution independence I don't see why a 1280x1024 pixel 12" display wouldn't be a possibility. Enough pixels for photo and design work, yet still small enough to be very portable.

Am I the only one who thinks the MacBook Air is too big?

Top left corner: MacBook Air

Top center: 12" PowerBook

I'll stick with the PowerBook; thank you very much!

But I guess chances of a 12" MacBook are as slim as a 19" MacBook desktop replacement with two internal harddisks.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    MBA is 13" whereas PowerBook is 12", thats why its big, If Apple would just make the MBA 12", people will stop comparing it with the rest of Apple line.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    The reason why people are disappointed is because Apple had a full featured smaller laptop than the MacBook Air (smaller in 2 of 3 dimensions) and replaced it with - nothing. They just stopped offering a really good product. And that's upsetting.

Granted, the MBA is lots thinner, but it is also a lot wider and deeper and has a smaller HD and no internal drive to watch DVDs on the go.

Sure the screen is bigger at 13.3" but that's it really. The keyboard on the 12" PowerBook is also a 'fullsize' keyboard, same as on the MBA.

In the end the MBA is just a different product, it is not a replacement for the PowerBook 12". And I'm sick of Apple Store empolyees trying to sell me a MacBook or MacBook Air as replacement. They aren't.

Having said that I really do think that the MacBook Air has its niche. It's just not the same niche as the 12" PowerBook occupies. Which disappoints some, like myself.

But Steve believes that people will go more and more 'mobile', so I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run Apple offers more portable options. Like a high end 'portable workstation' with a >17" display as well as a smaller full featured laptop akin to the PowerBook 12".

It makes sense to move away from iMacs and Mac Pros and towards mobile computing.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Does anyone have the slightest idea of when we're likely to see the MacBook Pro refresh?

In the next few weeks I'm going have to upgrade my current laptop and would love a MBP but as I can find plenty of PC based laptops with specs way beyond the current MBP I don't really want to fork out for the current line...

(Sadly the only release/news dates I'm aware of as far as Apple go is the Macfest - which has been and gone)
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Arimus, there are dozens of threads about this question. Just search.

The gist:

No one knows. And those who know don't say.

General consensus is that Apple had intended a refresh for MacWorld, but couldn't. Either they didn't want to steal the thunder from the MBA or they had problems with the Penryn shipments (as was reported) or some other part constraint.

Chances are the update will happen mid-end February.

But it's only going to be a small update, nothing special. New speeds, longer battery life.

A bigger update, likely with a new case design will happen May to September (depending whether you're an optimist or not) with the new Montevina chipset, which will allow for RAM >4GB, WiMax and Blu Ray support (plus HDMI / DisplayPort).

The one unknown:

The longer the Penryn update takes, the more likely it is that Apple will skip it and wait until May for Penryn + Montevina.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ARGH!!!

Can't decide what to do....

Damn you Apple for making my life awkward (Sod's law... I will wait 6 months, see no update, buy an MBP, hey presto update announced just afterwards)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

... the new Montevina chipset, which will allow for RAM >4GB....

Are you sure that Montevina will support more than 4GB of RAM? Can you cite a source?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Frankly I don't know why people want 12 inchhes, can't be bothered straining my eye just to read, MBA size is perfect, kudos to Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Are you sure that Montevina will support more than 4GB of RAM? Can you cite a source?

you need more then 2 slots.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

The reason why people are disappointed is because Apple had a full featured smaller laptop than the MacBook Air (smaller in 2 of 3 dimensions) and replaced it with - nothing. They just stopped offering a really good product. And that's upsetting.

Yeah, I really miss the 12" powerbook. I used to have one and I absolutely loved it. The 13" Macbook just isn't a replacement for it and the MBA really isn't.

To people asking about why there would need to be a small laptop with a 8600M GT well simply put, it can be used as both a desktop supporting a large display and a very portable laptop. Not to mention on a cold day you can play crysis for 15 minutes and burn your leg off. Businessmen in ReykjavÃ*k would love it.

Quote:

But Steve believes that people will go more and more 'mobile', so I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run Apple offers more portable options. Like a high end 'portable workstation' with a >17" display as well as a smaller full featured laptop akin to the PowerBook 12".

It makes sense to move away from iMacs and Mac Pros and towards mobile computing.

Y'know HP actually makes a 20" laptop, I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

I don't know why there really has to be so many models. I think anything bigger than 15" is pointless as a laptop.

The lineup could have been so simple:

12" Macbook plastic, low end graphics (1280x800)

15" Macbook plastic, low end graphics (1680x1050)

12" MBP metal, high end graphics (MBA price)

15" MBP metal. high end graphics

All with either glossy or matte screens. The MBA can still exist for people who absolutely need the portability.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

you need more then 2 slots.

and you need to fix your grammar
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb12 View Post

All good things to those who wait.

I wish they would offer a 12 inch. My Powerbook G4 12 inch was the perfect size. Now, using this 13 inch MacBook, sucks. It's too big. the 12 inch was so perfect. Wish the would offer it in the MacBook Pro form. I'd buy it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

I wish they would offer a 12 inch. My Powerbook G4 12 inch was the perfect size. Now, using this 13 inch MacBook, sucks. It's too big. the 12 inch was so perfect. Wish the would offer it in the MacBook Pro form. I'd buy it.

I agree. It's very disappointing that Apple compromised size and weight in order to make the MacBook Air thinner. I would much prefer that it be a bit thicker and not need a double-wide bezel around the screen.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Frankly I don't know why people want 12 inchhes, can't be bothered straining my eye just to read, MBA size is perfect, kudos to Apple.

The 12" PB had a screen no smaller than the MBA. Remember that the MBA is widescreen, while the PB had a 4:3 screen. 4:3 screens are much better for reading, because more lines can go in, but they're less than optimal for watching movies.

Personally, I never watch movies on a computer, so I'd rather have a 4:3 screen, but those fell out of favor with Apple.