Apple implements 20 new fixes in latest Mac OS X 10.5.2 build

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Development of Apple's second update to the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system continued at a swift pace this week, with new pre-release builds tacking on nearly two dozen fixes and revealing a handful of subtle feature additions.

Arriving on the heels of Mac OS X 10.5.2 build 9C16 on Tuesday was build 9C20, which saw the software's Graphics Drivers broken out into a separate 48.8MB package labeled "Leopard Graphics Update 1.0."

In a set of notes accommodating the update, Apple reportedly asked that developers apply the graphics update after having first updated their systems to the new Mac OS X 10.5.2 build. The separation, along with other changes, helped reduce the initial Delta package size of the upcoming Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update from a 450MB download to an approximate 360MB download.

Unlike previous pre-release distributions of the Leopard Update, the latest build lists no known issues. The intended focus areas for developers has also been reduced considerably, according to those familiar with the distribution, from 37 core components to just 11. Among the remaining areas are AirPort, the Dock, Finder, Safari, Spotlight and Time Machine.

Meanwhile, 22 new code corrections were baked into the build, bringing the total number of documented fixes within Mac OS X 10.5.2 to over 115. Some of the latest target image noise in RAW files, iTunes ScreenSavers, the system's AirPort titlebar menu, and Time Machine.

Build 9C20 also included a couple of menubar interface tweaks in support of a new Desktop preference that will let users choose whether they'd like a translucent system-wide menu bar or not.

This addition, along with support for Remote Disc optical drive sharing on existing Macs, a list view in Stacks, and support for Apple's new Time Capsule backup appliance, are thus far expected to be amongst the more notable feature additions in Mac OS X 10.5.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    In 10.5.1 on my Alu iMac, the dock reappears after a minute or two when watching a movie in fullscreen mode in QuickTime player. I hope this has been fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I get this sometimes, too. I read that is is due to the Dock updating, like when an email or IM arrives and alters the Dock icon. Either way, I didn't have this issue in the developer builds of Leopard or any other OS X version.

It looks like 10.5.2 will be released sometime this week, unless Apple decides to wait a week for some unknown strategic reason.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    My largest issue concerning Leopard right now is the Photoshop (CS3) bug that prevents you from changing values via the keyboard for some of the various tools. I know there are workarounds but they're cumbersome to deal with. I also know that Adobe is laying this problem at the feet of Apple. Thus my question, does anyone know for sure whether this problem will be addressed in this upcoming 10.5.2. update? Any info, and I suppose reassurance, would be most welcome.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhartist View Post

My largest issue concerning Leopard right now is the Photoshop (CS3) bug that prevents you from changing values via the keyboard for some of the various tools. I know there are workarounds but they're cumbersome to deal with. I also know that Adobe is laying this problem at the feet of Apple. Thus my question, does anyone know for sure whether this problem will be addressed in this upcoming 10.5.2. update? Any info, and I suppose reassurance, would be most welcome.

I have read absolutely nothing about how 10.5.2 is affecting CS3. I don't have CS3 installed otherwise I'd check it out for you. Luckily, you will find out soon enough.

What is the reason that Adobe is blaming Apple for this CS3 bug?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    What happen with the support of time machine with an Hard drive over wireless?

I bought two airport express especially for this feature, did this will be fix in 10.5.2 or I need to sell my brand new airport extreme to buy a time capsule
  • Reply 6 of 39
    The reason itself is unclear beyond what the Adobe website is saying which, in brief, reads as follows...The fix will be provided through an update to Mac OS X Leopard. Consequently, it is not part of the Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) update...Apple is collaborating closely with us to get this fix incorporated into a Mac OSX Leopard update.

Thus there's precious little hard info to work with. Its been very frustrating and continues to be so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have absolutely nothing about how 10.5.2 is affecting CS3. I don't have CS3 installed otherwise I'd check it out for you. Luckily, you will find out soon enough.

What is the reason that Adobe is blaming Apple for this CS3 bug?

• Reply 7 of 39
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    New and better X3100 drivers at last?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Although I've been using Leopard since 10.5.0 and haven't had any issues, this looks like the perfect release for those who like to "wait for a couple of point releases" before jumping in. I suspect another tick of Leopard sales after this hits the street.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

What happen with the support of time machine with an Hard drive over wireless?

I bought two airport express especially for this feature, did this will be fix in 10.5.2 or I need to sell my brand new airport extreme to buy a time capsule

MacRumors has the scoop on that news... http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/23/...treme-backups/

The answer is "no" in the current build, apparently.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

MacRumors has the scoop on that news... http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/23/...treme-backups/

The answer is "no" in the current build, apparently.

I have a feeling it will done by a simple hack. If TC can work with TM then surely it won't be too hard to do.

PS: A friend to d me that 10.5.2 is snapper than 10.5.1 and their system boots 2 seconds faster now.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Keep in mind:

I have my TimeMchine working over FireWire 400, and it does slow down the computer, my applications, and my computer's overall responsiveness. I would not consider putting my TimeMachine drive over a wireless network and have it slow down my system even more, unless I have small data on my HD that doesn't need much backing up.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Will 10.5.2 help with Safari's speed? I've found it to be so slow that I've moved to Camino.

thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by difficultrun View Post

Will 10.5.2 help with Safari's speed? I've found it to be so slow that I've moved to Camino.

thanks.

"Computer says...YES"
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

I get this sometimes, too. I read that is is due to the Dock updating, like when an email or IM arrives and alters the Dock icon. Either way, I didn't have this issue in the developer builds of Leopard or any other OS X version.

It looks like 10.5.2 will be released sometime this week, unless Apple decides to wait a week for some unknown strategic reason.

They may want to have it go out the same time as the Apple TV update.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

They may want to have it go out the same time as the Apple TV update.

SJ said the Atv should be out in two weeks, which is early next week and before 10.5.2
  • Reply 16 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Okay here is my question. If I have a file server attached to an Airport Extreme through an ethernet port can I use TimeMachine wirelessly on my MBP and have it back up to my server? To me it sounds like people are only having problems when connecting drives via the USB port on the router.

I've been using Mac's for about a year now and have not yet upgraded to Leopard. I have been thinking about upgrading and purchasing an Air Port Extreme all at the same time. Getting one with TimeCapsule built in is an expense I am trying to avoid since I already have 1.5TB of storage.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

I have a feeling it will done by a simple hack. If TC can work with TM then surely it won't be too hard to do.

Maybe, maybe not. The problem is that it might be something that is fixed by new firmware in the Airport, and not all on the OS end.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhartist View Post

The reason itself is unclear beyond what the Adobe website is saying which, in brief, reads as follows...The fix will be provided through an update to Mac OS X Leopard. Consequently, it is not part of the Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) update...Apple is collaborating closely with us to get this fix incorporated into a Mac OSX Leopard update.

Thus there's precious little hard info to work with. Its been very frustrating and continues to be so.

Now that Inuit Corporation is moving to Cocoa for Quicken, QuickBooks and Turbo Tax all requiring Leopard, I wonder how long before Adobe moves to what seems to me where they will go:

Trolltech Qt 4.5:

http://trolltech.com/developer/notes...rted_platforms

It's clear that when Photoshop Elements can be leveraged with Cocoa via Trolltech Qt 4.5 that Adobe would use that as a measuring stick on then what to do with the next version of the Adobe CS Suite.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    They either need to issue a fix for "Back to my Mac" or remove the feature altogether because it absolutely does NOT WORK as advertised.

I thought that I was the only one who was having problems until I read the Apple discussions. It seems that no one is able to get this feature to work outside of a home network.

Apple discussions for Back to my Mac: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1247
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

They either need to issue a fix for "Back to my Mac" or remove the feature altogether because it absolutely does NOT WORK as advertised.

I thought that I was the only one who was having problems until I read the Apple discussions. It seems that no one is able to get this feature to work outside of a home network.

Apple discussions for Back to my Mac: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1247

Desktop sharing via iChat also has issues. Hopefully that has been resolved too.