Apple faces new lawsuit over iPhone concept

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A little-known California company is suing Apple Inc. and satellite phone company Atlantic RT, Inc. for patent infringement after having just recently beat both firms to a new patent covering mobile entertainment and communications devices.

Los Angeles-based Minerva Industries, Inc. filed the patent infringement lawsuit in theÂ*Eastern District of Texas on Tuesday,Â*just hours after having been granted United States Patent No. 7,321,783 entitledÂ*"Mobile Entertainment and Communication Device."

The 6-page formal complaint alleges that representatives from Minerva informed Apple of their pending application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office covering iPhone concepts back in November, but that Apple "waited until approximately one week before the patent was to issue before sending prior art" in an attempt to trump the filing with one of its own.

After subsequently examining both claims, however, the patent office definitively ruled in Minerva's favor, determining the claims within its application were patentable over Apple's prior art and all other art that had been submitted to the office.

"On information and belief, Apple monitored the progress of [Minerva's Application during the continued reexamination, and became aware on or about November 20, 2007 that the Patent Office rejected its contention that the Apple Prior Art rendered the claims of [Minerva's] Application invalid and had issued a notice of allowance," Minerva's attorneys at Russ August & Kabat wrote in the suit.

"As a result of these DefendantsÂ? infringement of the Â?783 Patent, Minerva has suffered monetary damages in an amount not yet determined, and will continue to suffer damages in the future unless DefendantsÂ? infringing activities are enjoined by this Court."

Similarly, the complaint claims, Atlantic is also liable of infringement of the '783 Patent "by, among other things, making, using, offering to sell, or selling mobile entertainment and communication devices covered by one or more claims of the Â?783 Patent, including without limitation the Thuraya SG-2520."

Minerva is seeking a permanent injunction enjoining Apple and AtlanticRT from further infringement, a judgment and order requiring both firms to pay damages, attorneysÂ? fees, as well as an award of enhanced damages due to the pair's "deliberate and willful" conduct.

Minerva on Tuesday also filed two additional suits of similar nature. One targets Research In Motion and Cricket Communications, while the other names 29 defendants, including AT&T Mobility, LG, Palm, Motorola, Nokia, Alltel, Dobson Cellular, Helio, HP, MetroPCS Wireless, Sprint Spectrum, Nextel, T-Mobile USA, Tracfone Wireless, Cellco Partnership, Virgin Mobile, HTC, Kyocera Wireless, Pantech Wireless, Sanyo, Sony Ericsson, and Samsung.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    there goes more of the apple stock.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Yep. Right or wrong, them's the breaks.

Just for kicks, I went to the company's website... they seem to be only interested in patenting things and suing people but not producing any products... they could get a patent on the process...

http://www.gigatec.com/index.asp

The company profile starts off by saying they hold various patents, not what they try to do as a company.

In their press release, they call Apple's product the iphone; they can't even label it correctly: iPhone. Lame. Actually, their entire site is filled with grammatical errors. They can't be bothered to make a good presentation.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I'm going to put in an application for flying plug-in electric cars. That way when someone gets around to actually building the device I can sue their ass off.

You gotta love America. You can get rich suing anyone you want.

By the way I hold the patent on a mixture of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen. I call it iAir and everyone on the planet Earth owes me royalties for BREATHING. If you don't want to pay up you can opt out by not breathing. Your choice.

The Lawyers have got to go...
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just for kicks, I went to the company's website... they seem to be only interested in patenting things and suing people but not producing any products... they could get a patent on the process...

http://www.gigatec.com/index.asp

Impressive. Their website looks like it was made by Web Design 1996.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Their only product is a stupid drawing of an idea most any geek could have drawn up a few years ago about a dream device. They probably sat back, watched an episode of The Jetsons and decided to patent it. What's worse is the US patent system will actually go for crap like this.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They also claim to hold patents on 'the seat belt air bag system' you'd think there would be more money going after the car makers!
  • Reply 7 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by golffreak_199 View Post

there goes more of the apple stock.

This is one reason, not mentioned by the CFO,

that Apple likes to keep $18B in cash, i.e. to pay

for lawsuits and settlements.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That's a LOT of companies stealing from poor Minerva!
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Wow, you can open a company just patenting random crap and then sue people once they actually have a product doing it? I love this country.

Their website really does just say they 'hold patents' and nothing else. It's impressive.

I also like how their "News" and "Press Releases" just list who's suing who on patent infringements. It probably doesn't help much that you can patent just about anything out there with only a napkin sketch attached.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I read the patent and it appears there's no match. Apple doesn't have memory sockets on their product.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    A mobile entertainment and communication device in a palm-held size housing has a cellular or satellite telephone capable of wireless communication with the Internet and one or more replaceable memory card sockets for receiving a blank memory card for recording data directly from the Internet and, in particular, musical performances that then can be selectively reproduced by the device for the enjoyment of the user, including both audio and visual recordings and reproductions. The device also includes a camera and microphone for recording images and sound within the range of the device that can be wirelessly transmitted, either selectively or automatically to a remote telephone. Further, the device includes sensors for sensing unusual conditions that may also be transmitted to a remote telephone, together with the location of the device as determined by a GPS section of the device.

The above excerpt is taken from the patent office...Those items noted in Bold Italic Underline are currently not available on the iPhone...however, they are available on many other cellular phones. Apple may be able to work with this BS and put dummy corporations like this back in their place. I am so pissed at all of these idiots that try to take advantage of others advances, especially a DUMMY company that DOES NOTHING for people or products...Their whole purpose in life is to do what they are doing Go get em'!!!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFC @rcher View Post

I am so pissed at all of these idiots that try to take advantage of others advances, especially a DUMMY company that DOES NOTHING for people or products...Their whole purpose in life is to do what they are doing Go get em'!!!

I think there should be something that states if you apply for a patent you should somehow prove that you will act on it. Company I work for has many patents but also a semi-working prototype that demonstrates we at least tried.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is no Burst. This is about as hookie a patent I've seen defended. I don't think they have a chance of winning in court, but they may know this and be just looking for the easy buyout, anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFC @rcher View Post

The above excerpt is taken from the patent office...Those items noted in Bold Italic Underline are currently not available on the iPhone...however, they are available on many other cellular phones. Apple may be able to work with this BS and put dummy corporations like this back in their place. I am so pissed at all of these idiots that try to take advantage of others advances, especially a DUMMY company that DOES NOTHING for people or products...Their whole purpose in life is to do what they are doing Go get em'!!!

The iPhone has a microphone. It's how people hear me when I call them. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Others have quoted the summary. That has no legal bearing. It's the claims that are sued over, and they appear to have successfully patented any device with a processor, memory, internet connection, and display capable of playing movies. I'm actually normally a fairly pro-patent guy-- I think being able to protect an R&D investment is key to innovation-- but this patent is just silly. It looks like they want to rush it through the court system before the USPTO has a chance to review it.

I'm hoping Apple fights it and puts this company next to SCO in the trash heap.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is no Burst. This is about as hookie a patent I've seen defended. I don't think they have a chance of winning in court, but they may know this and be just looking for the easy buyout, anyway.

The iPhone has a microphone. It's how people hear me when I call them. Welcome to AI.

Yeah...I see that, meant to also highlight the record part. Currently the iPhone is incapable of recording so that is just another small piece that is not available. Granted everything there can be upgraded by software, except for the "memory card socket" which would require iPhone 2.

I am just sick and tired of seeing lawsuit after lawsuit against major companies that seem to want to make a difference. There should be a law against these leeches that try to suck the lifeblood out of a company. If you have a product with these things that are identified in the patent and can produce it, then you have a leg to stand on...if you dont then get the FRICK out of here.

Thanks for the welcome...have not needed to post here until now! Usually on Macrumors or Apple Forums
  • Reply 16 of 48
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I think this is covered by it's obvious, it's not novel and prior art.

Let me see, I have a cell phone, I have an iPod, duh it OBVIOUS, let's put them together.

This crap has got to be stopped!
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Why did this company TAKE SO LONG???.. That alone is suspect. They don't deserve a dime. I hope Apple comes out with guns blazin!
  • Reply 18 of 48
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    Wow, when I got my first Palm Pilot back in 1997, I thought. "it sure would be a great idea to combine this thing with a cell phone". Had I known I could patent that idea and sit back and let someone else do all the work and actually create it, then sue for a billion dollars....... Instead, I just kept working and made an honest living... what WAS I THINKING! Sometimes I love this country, sometimes, not so much.... sheeesh...
  • Reply 19 of 48
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I wonder if an insider at Apple is working with this company? Seriously, he or she could stand to make a lot of money if this lawsuit wins.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I think this is covered by it's obvious, it's not novel and prior art.

Let me see, I have a cell phone, I have an iPod, duh it OBVIOUS, let's put them together.

This crap has got to be stopped!

Totally agreed. I also went to read the patent and the claim was obvious, even in 2003. This company is not real and the patent is there only to exploit a loophole in patent law. The patent itself should never have been awarded.