Cinema Display won't turn on!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello to all.

I just had the weirdest problem of all.

2-3 weeks ago I bought a 23" cinema display. I haven't used it much because I'm waiting for my MacPro to be delivered. I tried it though with my DVI powerbook when I got it. Everything was working fine. I callibrated the display and let it run for a day to make sure that everything is working fine.

So 2 weeks have passed without using it and today I've decided to power it up and watch a DVD on a big screen. But the damn thing doesn't power up at all!!! The powerbook recognizes the monitor and the resolution but all I see is a blank screen. The light (near the bottom) on the screen when i put the computer on sleep mode doesn't light up at all!!

What is going on here? Do you think it's the power adapter??

What the hell did go wrong?

Any ideas on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitris View Post

Hello to all.

I just had the weirdest problem of all.

2-3 weeks ago I bought a 23" cinema display. I haven't used it much because I'm waiting for my MacPro to be delivered. I tried it though with my DVI powerbook when I got it. Everything was working fine. I callibrated the display and let it run for a day to make sure that everything is working fine.

So 2 weeks have passed without using it and today I've decided to power it up and watch a DVD on a big screen. But the damn thing doesn't power up at all!!! The powerbook recognizes the monitor and the resolution but all I see is a blank screen. The light (near the bottom) on the screen when i put the computer on sleep mode doesn't light up at all!!

What is going on here? Do you think it's the power adapter??

What the hell did go wrong?

Any ideas on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

My 22" Cinema display wouldn't go to sleep. I took it to the Apple Store and they couldn't fix it. They sent it back to Apple; it turned out to be an 'inverter', whatever that is, and it was replaced and returned about two weeks later. NO problems since then.

Since your display is not very old, it probably is still under warranty. I suggest you take it an Apple Store.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I have exactly the same problem. I even purchased a new power adapter. The monitor worked for a few days with the new power adapter but then all the sudden the monitor wouldn't turn on again!

dimitris - what did you end up doing with the monitor? Please, let me know.

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hello abilef

I ended up returning the monitor and getting a new one.

The store was a bit hesitant to take it back and they tried to have that model repaired. But after insisting for a new one they did what was best. They gave me a new one.

If it's under warranty do the same. As it turns out apple displays aren't that great build wise...

The new monitor as well as a lot of others from what I hear has a flickering problem with slid colours. It you work a lot in illustrator photoshop etc you will notice it. Otherwise don't worry about it.