When will there be a new iPhone??

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 230
    But i shouldn't have to turn it off, that's the thing, it's compromising the phone by having to turn off main features so insure a good battery life. I have faith that Apple will release it when it's good and ready and not make a half assed job of it like most companies do with phones.
  • Reply 222 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Pay no attention to him chewby. I think he must be on school holidays or something.

Anyway back to iphone. I dont know how literal Jobs words should be taken but at the UK iphone launch he said he didnt envisage seeing a 3G iphone not for another 18 months. That would have taken us up until Q4 08 which is still probably the best time to release it.

Given how much attention they tend to draw when announcing new products and also given how many high end monsters will be announced at 3GSM this year (Nokia N96, SE P5/experia/and some 10mp phone whos brand is yet unknown), is it possible Apple may try it differently this year and announce it at 3GSM?

Personally I think thats a long shot but it would be interesting still as it would surley divert attention away from the other big makes.

I would be happy with the current one so long as they bump up the storage space to 16gb, put in video capture, add some BT profiles and a proper 3.5mm jack. Oh and speaking of video capture, I remember reading not to long ago that there was an app available for video recording on iphone and that it supposedly captured in 2mp reolution (amazing!!!!!) al be it at 10 fps. I am yet to see a sample of this (has anyone seen it yet?) but if thats true then iphone must have a motion sensor already built in. That in turn could mean that video recording is on Apples list of future functionality to add. What say you lot? :-)

Would be amazing if they added video recording, i can see them doing that the nice thing about the iPhone is that it's forever having features added.
  • Reply 223 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

btw, you're confusing memory with storage. I don't know what the iPhone has for RAM but it's not 8GB. I'd suspect no more than 256MB.

I checked. The ARM processor has 128MB of RAM built in.

Here's a great page for geek iPhone owners: http://tinyurl.com/378t4z
  • Reply 224 of 230
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I rolled over here to see what kind of feel folks had for this image that Ireland placed elsewhere on the forums…

I really like the looks and features of this fictional iPhone nano; I can reserve my internet related activities to an accompanying 8"(+/-) Newton 2; and the iPhone nano could serve as a wireless tether (hopefully 3G) for the Newton 2 (with the addition of a data plan, of course) and future Apple tablet devices…

;^p
  • Reply 225 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I rolled over here to see what kind of feel folks had for this image that Ireland placed elsewhere on the forums?

I really like the looks and features of this fictional iPhone nano; I can reserve my internet related activities to an accompanying 8"(+/-) Newton 2; and the iPhone nano could serve as a wireless tether (hopefully 3G) for the Newton 2 (with the addition of a data plan, of course) and future Apple tablet devices?

;^p

there is absolutely no way apple will release a phone without internet. thats just like 3 steps backwards. the iPhone is mostly an internet device, and the iPod touch as well has many uses for the internet. Apple clearly wants to be the front end for the internet as Jobs has said many times before.
  • Reply 226 of 230
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

there is absolutely no way apple will release a phone without internet. thats just like 3 steps backwards. the iPhone is mostly an internet device, and the iPod touch as well has many uses for the internet. Apple clearly wants to be the front end for the internet as Jobs has said many times before.

I really think there is room for a non-Internet enabled iPhone nano. Some of us out here in the world don't really like the experience of surfing the web on the iPhone. I find to a bit small, and the constant flicking back and forth on the screen to move about a window (while trying not to hit the odd links for ads and such) and the zooming in and out gets old? I would rather use an iPhone nano for everything BUT Internet access, and bust out the Newton 2 for when I want to hit the web?

Wireless tethering of the iPhone nano to Apple portable computing products would be nice, and simple widgets on the iPhone nano would be about the most Internet access (on screen, not counting tethering) I would expect. Google maps & 'GPS' locating would also be handy for a smaller handheld Apple cell phone?
  • Reply 227 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

But i shouldn't have to turn it off, that's the thing, it's compromising the phone by having to turn off main features so insure a good battery life. I have faith that Apple will release it when it's good and ready and not make a half assed job of it like most companies do with phones.

First of all, you can have both edge and 3G.

Second, the 3G could be off by default for those who don't use maps, safari, email, etc. You do realize that the reason why google maps is so slow is that edge is slow? It takes a pretty long time too to look at an email with many images. You don't have to be a power user to feel the impact of the poor throughput of the iphone on edge.

Third, have you ever used WiFi on your iphone? Do you leave it on all the time, or turn it on/off when wanted? Same deal.

I'm not impressed with my iphone as a phone. I mean, I can't even forward text messages! But I like the browser, the clean integration of maps, and not having to carry a separate media player.
  • Reply 228 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I'd rather have EDGE with good battery life than 3G with awful battery life, so I'm quite happy with the iPhone I have now, I think Apple will release it in the US around the original release of the iPhone or a couple of months after to accommodate people having 18 month contracts.

It's not an either 3G or EDGE choice. You can have both in one device. The 'awful battery life' problem is vastly overstated. It's purely smoke and mirrors to hide the fact the iPhone's hardware is 2 year old commodity crap inside the shiny outer.

Anyway, the Apple way would be to automatically switch between 3G and EDGE when you don't need it and on when you do. ie. you don't need 3G for voice, text or even checking mail, but you do for Safari, Google Maps, youtube and other high bandwidth apps.

Come on. Apple invented the Jesus-phone. They're surely omnipotent enough that they know when you need fast comms over battery life.
  • Reply 229 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I really think there is room for a non-Internet enabled iPhone nano. Some of us out here in the world don't really like the experience of surfing the web on the iPhone. I find to a bit small, and the constant flicking back and forth on the screen to move about a window (while trying not to hit the odd links for ads and such) and the zooming in and out gets old? I would rather use an iPhone nano for everything BUT Internet access, and bust out the Newton 2 for when I want to hit the web?

Wireless tethering of the iPhone nano to Apple portable computing products would be nice, and simple widgets on the iPhone nano would be about the most Internet access (on screen, not counting tethering) I would expect. Google maps & 'GPS' locating would also be handy for a smaller handheld Apple cell phone?

I doubt Apple would cater to the handful of users who wanted an iPhone minus the internet capabilities.
  • Reply 230 of 230
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    when someone shows me the iphone the FIRST thing they show me is the "real" internet on a phone and google maps. so without that it's just a phone/mp3 player like soooo many others,

iphone doesn't need a smaller form factor....they need hardware internals

so you can have

8gb edge iphone drop another $50 to 100

8gb 3g

16gb 3g

16gb 3g gps

4 phones 4 price points and maintain momentum

for me

gps and 3g id go for an add on gps, but not SJ sophisticated.

oh yea....remember SJ saying he would be "aggressive" if needed, well maybe it's time, do we know month to month or quarter to quarter.

so what's up for the first year anniversary

when is asia ready for the iphone...no actual contracts with carriers....no carriers no iphone