Leopard upgrade problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I attempted to upgrade my wife's MacBook Pro to Leopard this morning. I skipped the disk verify as this (family license) disk was already used for my iMac and worked fine. The install could not complete. I was given a message that all of the disk contents would need to be erased to install on this volume.

I exited the install. I was prompted to choose a boot disk. I chose the Tiger install on the internal hard drive.

Now when I try to turn the computer on it displays the gray screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel beneath it. After about a minute it gives up and shuts off abruptly.

The Leopard disk is still in the drive. I have not been able to remove it since the eject button does not seem to work during this time.

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar for Saturday but would prefer to get it working now and save the trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Holding the Option key at the chime shows all bootable volumes. See if the HDD shows up.

Trackpad moouse click down & hold at chime will spit out the DVD.

Hold C to boot from DVD at chime. See if the installer can still see the hard drive. My guess there wasn't enough space to do archive and install or upgrade.

Hold T at chime throws the Mac into Firewire target disk mode. Use a fw cable, plug into another mac and recover files, delete, erase, repair ,etc. using Disk Utility.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for taking the time to help.

I used the Option key and it listed the disk and the DVD as boot options. The disk was the default. I chose it again to be sure and had the same results as originally described above.

I used C to boot froom the DVD. The installer loaded. It could see the disk. I went through the same process of exiting and choosing the disk as the startup volume. No luck. Same results as above.

I used the mousepad click to remove the DVD. I'm still getting the same problem as originally described. At least I got the DVD out.

Not sure what happened during the install, but it doesn't seem to be something I can fix on my own. I'll plan on taking it to the Apple store on Saturday unless you can think of some other things for me to try.

I'll probably dig out my firewire but I don't have much idea of what to do once I have it connected.