Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

There are ultra-portable notebooks with 10 hours of battery life? When I look at http://www.pcworld.com/article/123867-1/article.html most of the portables are listed between 4 and 6 hours just playing back video. Not sure how much usable time that actually calculates out to when you are actually working, but based on the iPod battery life, I would suspect that the MBA would probably outlast most of them. My point about the "extra" battery was that in real usable time, it would be much like you would already have an extra battery because the life would be longer than the other laptops.

If you are flying for business on international flights with a real need to work 12 hours and not getting seats with Empower ports, then your company is really failing you. Still, your need is at least somewhat unusual, and is probably best addressed with an external battery. For tooling around town, I certainly would think that 5+ hours between charges would usually have me leaving any spare battery in the office or at home.

Yes there are. Some come with one battery to advertise a low weight but let you upgrade to a larger one for extra-duration.

Unfortunately, I work for myself these days. And frankly, I am not a good enough employee to warrant Business class flights all the time.
  • Reply 202 of 222
    Who works with a computer on an international flight for 12 hours? I know there are insane people, but didn't know they are sitting on first class tickets on long-distance air flights. Who many people could be in this weird group that it is important that Apple take great care to accomodate -- maybe 5 people worldwide? -- Why are these people so important?

People complain about design limitations -- well build your own computer then, stupid! Or buy another one ... .

The most stupid comment I saw here must be the one who suggested that the MBA should not be one's primary and only Mac. -So, is the MBA not pricey enough and do you enjoy the hassle of syncing and backing up different computers? Weird ..... ! (I did not read all postings so I am sure I missed some even more stupid comments.)

The only interesting thing is this topic is just how easy / costly it will be to eventually change the battery when the time arrives and supposing this happens before one has gone on to another newer computer.
  • Reply 203 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyeless View Post

Who works with a computer on an international flight for 12 hours? I know there are insane people, but didn't know they are sitting on first class tickets on long-distance air flights. Who many people could be in this weird group that it is important that Apple take great care to accomodate -- maybe 5 people worldwide? -- Why are these people so important?

People complain about design limitations -- well build your own computer then, stupid! Or buy another one ... .

The most stupid comment I saw here must be the one who suggested that the MBA should not be one's primary and only Mac. -So, is the MBA not pricey enough and do you enjoy the hassle of syncing and backing up different computers? Weird ..... ! (I did not read all postings so I am sure I missed some even more stupid comments.)

The only interesting thing is this topic is just how easy / costly it will be to eventually change the battery when the time arrives and supposing this happens before one has gone on to another newer computer.

I bid you welcome, but not the best start I've seen from a new poster on AI.

I wouldn't say I'm working for 12 hours, but I certainly like to use my computer for the duration of a flight. I can't sleep on flights often; something about sitting up. I do not like the low res analog video that the setback displays have so i will watch many movies, TV Shows, or even read webpages and forums I've saved just before flying. The longer I can use my computer the shorter the flight feels.

I use a MacBook and have 2 spare batteries, so with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off and the brightness down to the lowest, or second to lowest, setting I get about 9 hours from the 3 batteries. The hibernation mode makes it easy to remove a battery and put another in without having to restart.

I'm not sure why that would be a stupid comment. The specs clearly make this less than ideal to be one's only computer, unless you back you to a Time Capsule at home or some other large HDD. Leopard's Time Machines does make backing up transparent to the user, that is even easier than easy. Many people, even people who don't like the MBA, realize that it wouldn't be ones only machine, and the reviews even point that out.

I have no clue what you getting to in your last comment. It would be an inconvenient for any part of a computer to be sent in for repairs if it was your primary computer. It's not for everyone, that is fine. Apple doesn't make a computer for everyone or they'd make a MacBook at half the price. I think this is meant to attend to the Japanese market, which is very different than the Western world. If the reaction from the Japanese I saw playing with the Air is any indication I think it will be a hit.
  • Reply 204 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

So playing videos is irrelevant? Are you that dull to ignore that possibility?

Quote:

Are you unaware of Apple's .Mac syncing service?
  • Reply 205 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I bid you welcome, but not the best start I've seen from a new poster on AI.

The specs clearly make this less than ideal to be one's only computer [...]

Well, then I was fortunate that it wasn't my first post.

As to the second comment it would depend on whether you really need the power of a 8-core PowerMac or not.

I think I was mostly correct in my assessments (as general statements -- you may be close to the group most people would refer to as maybe not "insane" but let's call it "superusers", which I am sure you feel better about ).

I work professionally on a PowerBook and have not once during the last years three years at least have had a reason to carry a spare battery with me and I think that is typical of most people who actually work on their PowerBooks.
  • Reply 206 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So playing videos is irrelevant? [...]

Are you unaware of Apple's .Mac syncing service?

I guess it would be more convenient to use an iPod touch in an airplane for watching videos ... . I know about .mac, but this only makes syncing less of a hassle -- a difference in degree!
  • Reply 207 of 222
    Quote:

Well, then I was fortunate that it wasn't my first post.

As to the second comment it would depend on whether you really need the power of a 8-core PowerMac or not.

I think I was mostly correct in my assessments (as general statements -- you may be close to the group most people would refer to as maybe not "insane" but let's call it "superusers", which I am sure you feel better about ).

I work professionally on a PowerBook and have not once during the last years three years at least have had a reason to carry a spare battery with me and I think that is typical of most people who actually work on their PowerBooks.

1) New poster and 1st time poster are not the same. You were 4 posts in when I replied to you. You are a new poster to me until you reach 50.

2) I am insane.

3)My mother says I'm super, but I wouldn't call myself a super-user, but a constant user, which is why a MBA is fine for my needs. I would define a super-user as one who needs a lot of processing power. i do have a new Mac Pro that is always crunching something, so perhaps I am.

4) Most people don't carry extra batteries, but most people don't fly as much as me and most people are as attached to their computers as me either.
  • Reply 208 of 222
    Quote:

2) I am insane.

Ok, you are not insane then (actually I never accused you of being insane)! I was just irritated by your (and some others), to me, stupid comments and I still think they are. I was disappointed in the low level of the posts here, and your stood out in that regard.
  • Reply 209 of 222
    Quote:

I guess it would be more convenient to use an iPod touch in an airplane for watching videos ...

It is easier to carry. The touch is a nice device, but I don't think it's a comfortable size to pass the time for long periods of time like that.
  • Reply 210 of 222
    Quote:

It is easier to carry. The touch is a nice device, but I don't think it's a comfortable size to pass the time for long periods of time like that.

He thinks watching movies on a small display while holding it in front of you is more convenient than a 13" notebook sitting on a seatback tray. That really says it all. Certainly an iPod Touch more convenient to carry than a notebook, but not more convenient for watching video while sitting in a seat.
  • Reply 211 of 222
    Quote:

I prefer to listen to music while flying and not working or watching videos. Do whatever you enjoy! What I replied to originally was the idea (I had not even looked at who started that subject) that one should be able to do serious work for 12 hours on an international flight, which I do find bordering on being insane, but I could imagine a few super-workers worldwide that may manage to do this. A friend of mine much prefers to watch videos on his Ipod touch when flying, but it may be for battery-related reasons (I would think it would be more easy than to have a big laptop on all the time though).
  • Reply 212 of 222
    Quote:

He thinks watching movies on a small display while holding it in front of you is more convenient than a 13" notebook sitting on a seatback tray. That really says it all. Certainly an iPod Touch more convenient to carry than a notebook, but not more convenient for watching video while sitting in a seat.

-- Which I think is just another stupid comment from you ... . QED.
  • Reply 213 of 222
    Quote:

I prefer to listen to music while flying and not working or watching videos. Do whatever you enjoy! What I replied to originally was the idea (I had not even looked at who started that subject) that one should be able to do serious work for 12 hours on an international flight, which I do find bordering on being insane, but I could imagine a few super-workers worldwide that may manage to do this.

You seem young. While not many would spend the entire 12 hours of a transatlantic flight working many due spend a considerable amount of that time working. If they don't do it then they'll have to do it some other time. Many people work on projects with deadlines, they aren't hourly employees that can put down their apron and forget about their job at the end of a shift.
  • Reply 214 of 222
    Quote:

You seem young. While not many would spend the entire 12 hours of a transatlantic flight working many due spend a considerable amount of that time working. If they don't do it then they'll have to do it some other time. Many people work on projects with deadlines, they aren't hourly employees that can forget about there job at the end of a shift.

Actually I thought you would be at most 20 years old, but I am starting to worrying. I think I pass on posts here now.
  • Reply 215 of 222
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

You seem young. While not many would spend the entire 12 hours of a transatlantic flight working many due spend a considerable amount of that time working. If they don't do it then they'll have to do it some other time. Many people work on projects with deadlines, they aren't hourly employees that can put down their apron and forget about their job at the end of a shift.

Mmm:

1) fly out a day early. going from west coast to london and working the whole way is a good recipe for being useless the next day anyway.

2) fly an airline that commonly sticks power in coach. US Air, JetBlue, Southwest, American (double check aircraft).

3) fly an airplane that often has power: 777, 747 400, 767 300, A330, A340.

American 777s are a really good bet. It's worth a few bucks more to get if you can.

Here's a non-comprehensive list:

http://www.rentcomputers.com/sosair.html

Note that even if you call the airline, sometimes they are wrong or the aircraft has to be swapped, etc. But getting work done on a plane is spotty anyway even if you are a seasoned road warrior. There's always that hell flight that's flying through bad weather or sitting center seat between two Jabba the Huts (large, flatulent and ill tempered) or whatever.
  • Reply 216 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Mmm:

1) fly out a day early. going from west coast to london and working the whole way is a good recipe for being useless the next day anyway.

2) fly an airline that commonly sticks power in coach. US Air, JetBlue, Southwest, American (double check aircraft).

3) fly an airplane that often has power: 777, 747 400, 767 300, A330, A340.

American 777s are a really good bet. It's worth a few bucks more to get if you can.

Here's a non-comprehensive list:

http://www.rentcomputers.com/sosair.html

Note that even if you call the airline, sometimes they are wrong or the aircraft has to be swapped, etc. But getting work done on a plane is spotty anyway even if you are a seasoned road warrior. There's always that hell flight that's flying through bad weather or sitting center seat between two Jabba the Huts (large, flatulent and ill tempered) or whatever.

I ususally fly BA and I'm too cheap to upgrade unless my points pay for it. It's a much better experience but it just doesn't warrant the cost. I will be looking into AA now that they be offering internet service for a very reasonable $10 for less than 3 hour and $15 for more than 3 hour flight.
  • Reply 217 of 222
    Quote:

Uh... Steve Jobs alluded to the fact that you would have another computer at home when he was going over the "remote disk" feature.

Quote:

The iPod touch comes with a stand you could set it on... actually, that would be perfect for one of those airplane trays.
  • Reply 218 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

The iPod touch comes with a stand you could set it on... actually, that would be perfect for one of those airplane trays.

It's still a tiny screen.
  • Reply 219 of 222
    Quote:

And the viewing angle is low. I'm not sure it would be viewable at that angle on a seatback tray about feet below your eyes and one foot in front.
  • Reply 220 of 222
    Quote:

Perhaps, but when it is 6-12 inches in front of you I think it'd be big enough.