Briefly: Development of Mac OS X 10.5.2 winding down

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The frequency at which Apple is seeding new pre-release builds of its second update to the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system is increasing rapidly, suggesting an official release may be imminent.

Fresh on the heels of build 9C20, which was released as a private distribution earlier this week, the Cupertino-based Mac maker on Thursday issued its latest revision of the software update labeled Mac OS X 10.5.2 build 9C23.

Like the previous seed, the new build is reported to have been accompanied by a set of developer documentation listing no known issues. The documentation also implies that any concerns regarding the update's affect on the X11 X Window System have also been alleviated.

As a result, build 9C23 has seen its list of core focus areas reduced from 11 to 10, of which the remaining targets include Active Directory, AirPort, Back To My Mac, Dock, Finder, Graphics Drivers, Safari, SMB, Spotlight and Time Machine.

In addition, a half-dozen new code corrections have added, bringing the total number of documented fixes to the Leopard operating system expected in the 10.5.2 release to just shy of 125.

Among the latest are fixes for Time Machine, keyboard support, DVD playback and background images.

Joining the litany of minor tweaks in Mac OS X 10.5.2 are a handful of subtle feature additions, which include support for Remote Disc optical drive sharing on existing Macs, a list view in Stacks, and support for Apple's new Time Capsule backup appliance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Hmmm and Microsoft is STILL working to release SP1 for Vista in 6 months' time.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Using history as a guide, the 10.5.1 update came out 3 days after the last build (there were stil some minor issues left) and the 10.4.11 update came out 21 days after the last build was released (there was no known issues with that build).

The last Tiger update was released the day before Leopard which gives precedence that Apple will hold off a ready update. This is the 2nd 10.5.2 build that has had no known issues. As I've stated before, unless Apple has some marketing reason to delay this update there is no reason we shouldn't see this tomorrow.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Hmmm and Microsoft is STILL working to release SP1 for Vista in 6 months' time.

Watch out, you can easily get into an argument that Mac OSX's updates are like Windows' Hotfixes and Windows' Service Packs are more in tune with new versions of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    I think it's likely it will be released tomorrow when everyone gets their MacBook Air. 10.5.2 is needed for the wireless optical drive software on other macs and Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Watch out, you can easily get into an argument that Mac OSX's updates are like Windows' Hotfixes and Windows' Service Packs are more in tune with new versions of Mac OS X.

And like with most arguments along these lines, the truth lies somewhere between. Windows' SPs are much more than OSX point releases, both in terms of what they fix and what they add, but no way in hell are they even close to what, for example, Leopard is to Tiger.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    I just hope that they'll fix the graphics glitches we've been seeing on the iMacs with ATi GPUs, and the various issues with .Mac (iDisk, Back to My Mac, etc.).
  • Reply 7 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see that. There's really no straightforward comparison between how Apple and MS does their updates, they're just different in many ways.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can see that. There's really no straightforward comparison between how Apple and MS does their updates, they're just different in many ways.

Well my original point is that the amount of fixes in this update comes pretty close in my book to a major update like an MS Service Pack, and it only took Apple about 2 months to come up with, whereas Vista came out over a year ago and the Service Pack is nowhere to be seen till the middle of this year....though I could be wrong...
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Well my original point is that the amount of fixes in this update comes pretty close in my book to a major update like an MS Service Pack, and it only took Apple about 2 months to come up with, whereas Vista came out over a year ago and the Service Pack is nowhere to be seen till the middle of this year....though I could be wrong...

This update is unique in that it has 125 fixes. Usually they only have 2-3 dozen.

Has anyone read the reports that Vista is more secure than OS X or LInux because Vista has posted less security fixes? Now that is an back-asswards way of looking at sonething.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Woohoo! Any day now. Please release tomorrow Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 50
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    I've had my Leopard disc in hand since release day, but I've held off on installing it onto either of my 2 Macs, simply because I had too much stuff going on, including quite a bit of unattended number crunching, and it wasn't a good time to be messing around. With the 10.5.2 update, I think it'll be time to go ahead and upgrade both, as hopefully anything majorly problematic for me will be sorted out in the time between installing 10.5.0, and running the updater to 10.5.2. So, in other words...yay!

- JonYo
  • Reply 12 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Surely they won't roll out on a Friday. If something goes wrong everyone will be home for the weekend.

Mondays are too hectic.

Tuesdays are the best day to roll out.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    That may be true, but I also don't think they're going to leave their new Air users out in the cold over the weekend without the wireless optical software for the other Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Surely they won't roll out on a Friday. If something goes wrong everyone will be home for the weekend.

Mondays are too hectic.

• Reply 14 of 50
    The new document formats (.docx, .xlsx, pptx) for Microsoft's Office 2008 are not supported by Quicklook yet. This would be a great tweak.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:

or, just to play devil's advocate, Apple has far, far fewer hardware configurations and total control over those hardware configurations to ensure full compatibility with the update than Microsoft does with Vista. The job Microsoft has to fix problems is significantly more complicated than it is for Apple.

Also, maybe one service pack is a bad example, but I'd say the difference between the original release of Windows XP and XP SP2 (read: two Service Packs) would easily be as huge as the switch from Tiger to Leopard. The sheer volume of new features, on top of all the security and bug fixes.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    I hope this includes RAW support for the Nikon D3 and D300.... I only have 3 days left on the free trial of Capture One !
  • Reply 17 of 50
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think it's likely it will be released tomorrow when everyone gets their MacBook Air. 10.5.2 is needed for the wireless optical drive software on other macs and Windows.

Clearly, the MacBook Air will not ship until 10.5.2 is ready. However, Apple may also continue tweaking 10.5.2 until the MacBook Air is ready.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Mondays are too hectic.

I remember a few of these being rolled out on a Friday. Gives the programmers their weekend to unwind.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    I hope they add the Airdisk/Time Machine support, contrary to what some have been posting, I'm not reading that it's in there from people that are actually using the seed.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    fstopfstop Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tropicalpoppy View Post

I hope this includes RAW support for the Nikon D3 and D300.... I only have 3 days left on the free trial of Capture One !

Buy a D300 and get Capture NX free...which works fine with Leopard.