Belkin Ethernet Adapter?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an old G4 iMac (800mhz) running OS 10.4.10 which I want to connect to my wireless network. I've had a look around and decided the best option would be an ethernet adapter/bridge. The Belkin F5D7330 (Wireless G gaming bridge) looks like just the thing though I would like some feedback from anyone who has one. A few questions...

Will this adapter work OK with a Mac? Is it easy to set up?

Does this adapter support WPA encryption?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I've burned thru a couple of Belkin routers on Macs & PCs.

Belkin has a nice web GUI, accessible by anything with a browser. BUT you might be better off using this: Belkin F5D7231-4

The old tried and true Linksys WRT-54g will do the same thing. You put it into bridge mode, so it does wireless to wireless ,or point to point connection: you see it as 1 network. The 2 I suggested here support WPA. The gaming one you looked at doesn't.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

I've burned thru a couple of Belkin routers on Macs & PCs.

Belkin has a nice web GUI, accessible by anything with a browser. BUT you might be better off using this: Belkin F5D7231-4

The old tried and true Linksys WRT-54g will do the same thing. You put it into bridge mode, so it does wireless to wireless ,or point to point connection: you see it as 1 network. The 2 I suggested here support WPA. The gaming one you looked at doesn't.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. Checked out the Linksys WRT-54g and it seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get this thing working as an ethernet bridge (firmware hacks).

I've settled for the Belkin F5D7330 as it was available locally and at a good price. Going by Belkin's website the F5D7330 does indeed support WPA now (downloadable firmware update) although the one I purchased has the latest firmware so no need to flash it . Will let you know how I get on with this.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Got the Belkin F5D7330 up and running with my G4 iMac and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. To be honest there was total confusion at the start because I really have no idea about wireless settings (LAN DCHP etc.) So, I downloaded the manual and followed the installation instructions for Windows via web browser interface (which aren't that clear for the layman). I've taken note of what is required and included it here for future reference.

Connecting an older Mac to a wireless network using Belkin F5D7330 Ethernet Bridge (Gaming Adapter).

Mac OS X v10.4.x

Here is what you do...

1: Connect the Belkin F5D7330 adapter to your Mac and ensure that you switch on your wireless network.

2: On your Mac, open SYSTEM PREFERENCES and select NETWORK.

3: For LOCATION select New Location and name it whatever you like.

4: SHOW - select Built-in Ethernet.

5: Select TCP/IP and Configure IPv4 MANUALLY

6: Type in an IP address in the same subnet as the bridge (the default IP address of the Belkin bridge is 192.168.2.225) SO ... use, for example, 192.168.2.200

7: Enter the foillowing subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 and click APPLY NOW.

You are now able to log in to the Belkin bridge interface by using a modern web browser and typing 192.168.2.225 into the address bar and pressing ENTER. You will see the bridge's homepage where you can log in and change the bridge's settings to work with your particular network. The bridge has no password entered by default so leave the box blank and click "Login".

Under SETTINGS select ADAPTER SETTINGS and change your wireless settings from here.

FOLLOW PAGES 15 onwards of the downloaded user manual.

Once you have entered the information needed SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS and LOGOUT.

Return to the Network pane in System Preferences and reset Configure IPv4 to "Using DHCP".

Click on "Renew DHCP lease" and click "Configure IPv6" then "Apply Now".

Under ETHERNET Configure Automatically and Apply Now.

You should now be up and running!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    One thing I'd like to add:

Unless you are configuring multiple sets of preferences for the same port, it's unnecessary to create a new location. That feature is only useful in the case of, for instance, a winter and summer home, both using dial-up, that use the same internal modem. Mac OS X can receive one connection from every network port simultaneously, so you can, for another instance, have dial-up and broadband configured on the same location.