I think i am missing something

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, I dont know anything about macs, I purchased one online and it work great , last week it showed it needed a upgrade, so i clicked on it, after a while i couldnt do anything on there and the upgrade was not moving so i figured the laptop froze so i shut it off, when i turn it on it seems it wants to turn on but after it tries to load all of the programs it goes to a black screen, and asks me for login and pasword , i cant remember my login, i contacted the guy that i purchased from and he wasnt much help, it also says that it was unable to finish the audit... I have no clue what i did please help !!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Welcome.

What kind of Mac do you have? iMac, iBook, MacBook? PPC or Intel?

And what Operating System (OS) is installed?

Do you have the Original Install CD/DVD?

When you have those install disks, you can reset your admin password by following those instructions (taken from Apple docs):

1. Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed).

You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.

2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.

3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

4. Set the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

5. Enter a new password.

6. Click Save.

7. Restart and login with the new account settings.

If that doesn't help, ask again.

PS: You could reinstall the OS without losing your data, when it is located in your home directory.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Its a ibook g3 and i think it has OS Leopard It didnt come with the disk could i use any other disk??
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Leopard is incompatible with a G3 processor, so that should be out of the question.

If he (the seller) managed to install Leopard regardless of the G3, it should be really, really slow.

Leopard needs at least 800 MHz and a G4.

Panther (10.3) and Tiger (10.4) would be better for installing.

Do you have any installation disks?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manijeh View Post

Its a ibook g3 and i think it has OS Leopard It didnt come with the disk could i use any other disk??

As was said, it shouldn't be Leopard (10.5) ... but anything 10.4 or older is certainly possible.

Any RETAIL System disk will work. But for disks that ship WITH a computer, you'll need one that specifically shipped with a G3 iBook. And that's gonna have OSX 10.1 at best, might even be OS9 !
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You definantly need the install disk. That should solve your problems.

Good luck!

Steve
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I am sorry it has 10.3 panther in it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manijeh View Post

I am sorry it has 10.3 panther in it.

Find a retail copy of OS 10.4 Tiger, there's not much out there anymore that will run on panther unless it's an older version of something.

Take a look here: http://www.megamacs.com/item/Mac-OS-...eria,X%2010.4/

NOt sure how they are doing it but typically you don't want to buy the grey label disk or an upgrade disk. IF this bundle works for you... otherwise keep an eye for a used retail copy of 10.3 or 10.4