MacBook Pro AIR

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Am I the only person who thinks the new AIR line will extend to all future portables ?

Surely MacBook PRO AIR will be next in both sizes ???

Thoughts ???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    No, I don't think so. The purpose of the MacBook Air is not to cannibalize sales of the MacBook and MacBook Pro but to expand the market in a different direction.

A MacBook Pro with as few ports as the MacBook Air, only a single-platter HDD, no RAM expandability, etc. would not be very Pro in my opinion.

My expectation for the next MacBook Pro update is a modest speedbump based on Penryn. I don't expect a new enclosure, but I hope to be wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    From my point of view, being uber thin is uber cool but practical wise, its not a good idea. And bringing that idea to people who use their laptop for almost everything is even a bad idea. People like having cool stuffs but it should also be practical and MBA is not practical for do-it-all users.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

No, I don't think so. The purpose of the MacBook Air is not to cannibalize sales of the MacBook and MacBook Pro but to expand the market in a different direction.

A MacBook Pro with as few ports as the MacBook Air, only a single-platter HDD, no RAM expandability, etc. would not be very Pro in my opinion.

My expectation for the next MacBook Pro update is a modest speedbump based on Penryn. I don't expect a new enclosure, but I hope to be wrong.

Well I think they will have to re-vamp the enclosure to bring it in-line with the iMac image which seems to be the defacto style anyway.

So I say HOLD on any buy decisions on a new MBPro for now - at least until April and then re-assess.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The biggest problem Air has is not what Apple put into but what was left out. Because of that it would be stupid for Apple to try to remake the Pro line in the image of Air.

The problems for the PRO's are simple to enumerate. They are the lack of a real GPU, the lack of I/O and the lack of a quick change battery. Without these the Air is not a PRO machine.

If Apple where to fix up the I/O situation the AIR would make a very good model in the Mac Book lineup. It just can't be considered a PRO machine right now.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The biggest problem Air has is not what Apple put into but what was left out. Because of that it would be stupid for Apple to try to remake the Pro line in the image of Air.

The problems for the PRO's are simple to enumerate. They are the lack of a real GPU, the lack of I/O and the lack of a quick change battery. Without these the Air is not a PRO machine.

If Apple where to fix up the I/O situation the AIR would make a very good model in the Mac Book lineup. It just can't be considered a PRO machine right now.

Dave

So what do you think the new MBPro will feature ? I am still using the first gen 17 inch MBP. Still does exactly what I need...
  • Reply 6 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syntrak View Post

So what do you think the new MBPro will feature ? I am still using the first gen 17 inch MBP. Still does exactly what I need...

Well I'm not going to worry to much about what the MBP will look like. I'm getting to the point where I might simply look outside of Apple for my next hardware. Linux has come a very long way so at least there are viable alternatives.

In any event, like has already been mentioned PRO's need GPU's, I/O and swappable batteries. When it comes right down to it I doubt we will see much difference in the clam shell approach. New products are of course possible but I don't think Apple can abandon the clam shell platform right now.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

In any event, like has already been mentioned PRO's need GPU's, I/O and swappable batteries.

I agree that the MacBook Pro needs a GPU and serious I/O. Someday, the standard graphics might be good enough, but not in 2008. I disagree about the need for easily swappable batteries.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Well I'm not going to worry to much about what the MBP will look like. I'm getting to the point where I might simply look outside of Apple for my next hardware. Linux has come a very long way so at least there are viable alternatives.

In any event, like has already been mentioned PRO's need GPU's, I/O and swappable batteries. When it comes right down to it I doubt we will see much difference in the clam shell approach. New products are of course possible but I don't think Apple can abandon the clam shell platform right now.

Dave

Dave,

You should definitely look outside of Apple for your next hardware. You can get a PC Notebook with nearly identical specs to a Macbook Pro for much cheaper. You can simply load Mac OS X on any PC notebook with simple hacks. I know this is not legal, but it certainly is possible.

Linux is a great alternative as well.

I personally am not that big a fan of Linux. I used it for a few months, and the lack of support and software was a major issue for me. Not to mention, some things on Linux just don't make much sense to me. And the lack of drivers sucked.

Its Mac OS X all the way for me (with Vista bootcamped just in case I ever need it)
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

You can get a PC Notebook with nearly identical specs to a Macbook Pro for much cheaper. You can simply load Mac OS X on any PC notebook with simple hacks.

Linux is a great alternative as well.

Have you ever done this yourself? My brother-in-law put OSX on his thinkpad (he's a sys admin) just to play around with it. He also has a Macbook, but my sister is the primary user of that computer. On the thinkpad, OSX was buggy and not all hardware was supported. He went back to Ubuntu in a week.

Quote:

Its Mac OS X all the way for me (with Vista bootcamped just in case I ever need it)

That's what I guessed: you don't really use a PC with a hacked copy of OSX. I think if you can get the truth from any friends that you may have that have hacked OSX onto their PC, they will say that it really doesn't work very well. The reason that we, here, like Macs is that we don't have to fight hardware issues to use our computers: we plug them in, load a couple of our favourite apps, and get on with our lives. A hacked version of OSX will not do this.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    The problem with hacking MacOS to run on a non-Apple computer is that MacOS does not include drivers for the full range of PC hardware -- just the hardware that Apple ships, has shipped, or is about to ship.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

u can simply load Mac OS X on any PC notebook with simple hacks

Believe me, running a Mac OS X on a PC is kinda cool cause you can show off to ur friends, problem is, you must face with a lot of driver problems before you can show off to your friends and also you cant run auto update, you must wait for some of the hackers to release a version update for your 0S X which is another problem. In short, if you dont like adventuring which could make you reinstall OS X if something goes wrong then dont install OS X in a PC.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    The only people who'll buy the Air are those who want to be "cool". The Air is so impractical.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngelaRim View Post

The only people who'll buy the Air are those who want to be "cool". The Air is so impractical.

Yeah, like Ferrari's... but I like my Ferrari's, whether they're "impractical" in most people's opinions or not. And, in the end, those that say they don't want a Ferrari really do.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Yeah, like Ferrari's... but I like my Ferrari's, whether they're "impractical" in most people's opinions or not. And, in the end, those that say they don't want a Ferrari really do.

Erm actually all sports car are impractical to use daily. Only for those special occasions and the MBA fits in the sports car category very well.

MBA will appeal to those who have tons of cash
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Erm actually all sports car are impractical to use daily.

In fact, I used to drive one of my Ferrari's to-and-from work at Disney for four years, every day, twenty miles each way. Very practical, and fun after a long day to open it up over the mountain roads. Reminded me why I was working.

I don't think the MBA will be for the bargain-basement hunters, but I'm feelin' a lot of hatred for it in the same tone as people hate Ferrari's... because they can't afford one themselves. Lot of envy going on.

As I've said in another thread here, I ordered two (MBA's) for gifts already, one for my niece and one for a producer. And yesterday I talked a buddy into getting one for his wife. They'll find their place and be used, I think.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Dave,

You should definitely look outside of Apple for your next hardware. You can get a PC Notebook with nearly identical specs to a Macbook Pro for much cheaper. You can simply load Mac OS X on any PC notebook with simple hacks. I know this is not legal, but it certainly is possible.

I agree with the previous posts telling you that putting Mac OS X on PC hardware is one of the dumbest ideas on the planet. If you don't want to pay for a Mac, then don't, but don't try and half ass it.

Also, have you looked at PC notebook prices? Ever? I am about to replace my iBook G4 with a new Macbook Pro, and my wife was wondering why I was going to spend $2,000 on a Mac when she thought I could get the same specs on a PC Notebook for less.

I just spec'd out 3 PC notebooks, (Dell XPS, DP dv Series and a Toshiba Tecra) and by the time you make the system TRUELY comparable, they are within $100 of each other, if that! Two of the three machines I spec'd out had lower native resolutions than the Macbook Pro, and they were the same price!!!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

In fact, I used to drive one of my Ferrari's to-and-from work at Disney for four years, every day, twenty miles each way. Very practical, and fun after a long day to open it up over the mountain roads. Reminded me why I was working.

I don't think the MBA will be for the bargain-basement hunters, but I'm feelin' a lot of hatred for it in the same tone as people hate Ferrari's... because they can't afford one themselves. Lot of envy going on.

As I've said in another thread here, I ordered two (MBA's) for gifts already, one for my niece and one for a producer. And yesterday I talked a buddy into getting one for his wife. They'll find their place and be used, I think

Well maybe I should have said that if you are rich enough, owning a sports car for daily usage is fine . Dang you must be rich, what are you working as? Graphics engineer?

Quote:

I agree with the previous posts telling you that putting Mac OS X on PC hardware is one of the dumbest ideas on the planet. If you don't want to pay for a Mac, then don't, but don't try and half ass it.

Also, have you looked at PC notebook prices? Ever? I am about to replace my iBook G4 with a new Macbook Pro, and my wife was wondering why I was going to spend $2,000 on a Mac when she thought I could get the same specs on a PC Notebook for less.

I just spec'd out 3 PC notebooks, (Dell XPS, DP dv Series and a Toshiba Tecra) and by the time you make the system TRUELY comparable, they are within $100 of each other, if that! Two of the three machines I spec'd out had lower native resolutions than the Macbook Pro, and they were the same price!!!

I belive the advantage with Apple doin the only run Mac OS X on their own hardware is they wont have as much problem with hardware compability unlike the problem that Vista is facing right now.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

You can get a PC Notebook with nearly identical specs to a Macbook Pro for much cheaper.

Link please.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Yes, link please...........

BTW: Nice signature Mr. H
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Well maybe I should have said that if you are rich enough, owning a sports car for daily usage is fine . Dang you must be rich, what are you working as? Graphics engineer?

Write, produce (and when they let me) direct things -- mostly family and animation stuff. Myself, I think the MBA is a niche at the moment, though a forward-looking niche (eventually SSD's will be commonplace, things will get thinner, maybe, maybe not optical drives will go), but also that it's an excellent product as well and could surprise a lot of people in doing better than they predict. There's just been so much anger towards it, I'm mystified by that. Thus the Ferrari references. Normally, I wouldn't put my 2 cents in on it, but there a a number of very vocal people who hate the thing... and they've never used it, will never use it, and it's not really targeted for them. And yet they hate it. That's just plain strange to me. It's like me hating... vegetable curry (which I actually love, by the way) because it's not a hamburger, it's "different" from what I'm used to, and... where's the meat in it! "Food has to have meat in it! Almost everyone in America has food with meat in it!" Or some such bad analogy.