Randy Newman's Song?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What the hell was with Randy's song and speech? Was this really the place to talk about the end of an empire and shit? I've got to say the whole performance was completely bizarre I don't think it really fit the keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    As Steve built up the suspense about the surprise guest performer my mind was spinning, who could it be? Then when he said Randy Newman, I thought "who?"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

What the hell was with Randy's song and speech? Was this really the place to talk about the end of an empire and shit? I've got to say the whole performance was completely bizarre I don't think it really fit the keynote.

Bizarre is definitely the best word to describe it. I watched the keynote on a 16-foot screen in a church. After the first song we decided we had better turn it off.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Bizarre is definitely the best word to describe it. I watched the keynote on a 16-foot screen in a church. After the first song we decided we had better turn it off.

Heh, heh. That would've been something... But, hey! It's Randy Newman for cryin' out loud. He's a living legend, even if he's a bit weird he's quite a talent.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Not exactly the type of stuff to woo big investors either. [Stock price?]

Bad call on Steve's part there.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    "...although they're the worst we've seen, they're hardly the worst the world has seen..."

At least he's honest.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,311moderator
    I thought he seemed a little drunk. Overall I'd say the whole speech at the start that wasn't a proper song but dressed up to look like a song was entirely inappropriate. That is not a political stage and shouldn't be treated like one. It sure as hell shouldn't be a stage for an American to beg some respect for his country. Respect will come as soon as America earns it Randy not before.

Funny though and still better than pretty much every act I've seen at an Apple event. I hope they get Seinfeld next year.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I thought he seemed a little drunk. Overall I'd say the whole speech at the start that wasn't a proper song but dressed up to look like a song was entirely inappropriate. That is not a political stage and shouldn't be treated like one. It sure as hell shouldn't be a stage for an American to beg some respect for his country. Respect will come as soon as America earns it Randy not before.

Funny though and still better than pretty much every act I've seen at an Apple event. I hope they get Seinfeld next year.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Randy Newman. Do yourself a favor and do a little reading (or listening). He's always been political.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_newman
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too considered it a bit strange. Normally less political things are chosen for corporate consumption.

But then again, I agreed with the general gist of the performance. And strange times call for strange measures.

At what point does it become acceptable to bring up politics amidst polite conversations or business functions? Invasion and occupation of another country under false pretenses? That's enough in my book. Somebody has to stand up cause a ruckus because it's better than the alternative.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I too considered it a bit strange. Normally less political things are chosen for corporate consumption.

But then again, I agreed with the general gist of the performance. And strange times call for strange measures.

At what point does it become acceptable to bring up politics amidst polite conversations or business functions? Invasion and occupation of another country under false pretenses? That's enough in my book. Somebody has to stand up cause a ruckus because it's better than the alternative.

I'm sure Al Gore (on the board of directors at Apple) enjoyed it immensely.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Political jokes, fine. But the bad lounge act wasn't fitting for the keynote...not even a little.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I was impressed that Steve Jobs had the courage and vision to invite Randy Newman to perform his great song.

Apple will survive and prosper in a world where a lot of people can afford to continue buying the technological innovations coming from silicon valley.

Instead, thanks to the political influence and shortsighted greed on Wall Street, we seem to be headed for trouble; the obsession with short term profits at the expense of sound business practices and sane sustainable policies are making a few people exceedingly rich while hurting most everyone else.

I will be a first time Apple purchaser this year and Randy Newman's performance was the highlight of the key note for me which I caught on line. Thanks for the chance to say so on your thread.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Jobs is a Democrat. He could give a flying fuk about trashing Bush.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    *sigh* At least we made it this far without someone resorting to democrat vs republican crap.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I watched the keynote on a 16-foot screen in a church. After the first song we decided we had better turn it off.

I see you are taking Apple worship to the next level.