Is safari in Leopard buggy . . . .

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
or is it just me ?

After I installed Leopard, I have noticed that Safari is crawling around. Even after restarts.

Why can it take a minute on my intel iMac just to open safari ?

And having open several tabs ? Ick ! Safari crashes on me if when I have open 4-10 tabs from New York Times or Washington post.

This is strange , and frustrating ! My suspicion is that it is flash related ?

do you agree ?

Zon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've noticed it being slow as well. Clearing the cache helps sometimes. It just takes a long time to load certain websites,, especially facebook.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I've noticed it being slow as well. Clearing the cache helps sometimes. It just takes a long time to load certain websites,, especially facebook.

Hmmm . . . . But safari under tiger was never like this. As example; today, I couldn´t download videos from www.ted.com . . . . the browser quit on me before the download could start. And those pages are very light on Web2 or flash.

Hmmm......

I have firefox and flock installed, but safari is so well integrated into .mac and my ipod touch.

argh :-(
  • Reply 3 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It's not slow for me, but it sure does crash a lot.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think I may need to run Leopard Cache Cleaner. May be some font cache corruption. Try it, doesn't hurt!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    I have noticed lately that safari takes a while to open too.... It crashes every once in a while.

One thing that really bugs me is that after searching through Newegg.com for about 30 minutes it stops showing the pictures and the website gets all distorted

Anybody having similar problems?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    For me, Safari crashes so much and is so buggy that I sometimes think I am using a Windows computer.

Yes, I am serious. Not a night goes by without Safari crashing at least once. What makes it even worse is that often I do not receive a prompt to report the crash to Apple, so as far as they are concerned, the crash never happened.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Doesn't crash much for me. Probably more than it should, but it's not a daily occurrence.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Ouch that hurt, 1 point off the buy a Mac, ditch the PC chart...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

For me, Safari crashes so much and is so buggy that I sometimes think I am using a Windows computer.

Yes, I am serious. Not a night goes by without Safari crashing at least once. What makes it even worse is that often I do not receive a prompt to report the crash to Apple, so as far as they are concerned, the crash never happened.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I have never experienced something like this for the last 12 years I have used mac. In Tiger, safari was king.

Well, hopefully 10.5.2 will fix it !

Especially because I am used to open A LOT of tabs when i am browsing digg.com

Zon
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yeah, its been doing the same to me, sometimes if I just go to a site that I have bookmarked it just quits.

I have been using Firefox along with Google Browser Sync and Customize Google plugins and have found it to be a much better web experience. Heh, in fact, you can get the iFox Smooth theme and it even looks like Safari.

The one nice thing about this setup is that I can sync my bookmarks, settings, etc across multiple computers without a .mac account. I do have one, but there are many times I am somewhere else and dont want to use it. Also, it will sync perfectly with the PCs that I still have to use.

One suggestion now that Safari is available for MS machines now too would be to enable it to sync to your .mac account. They have bnojour for windows, why cant they have an applet to allow .mac syncing?