"Privoxy" -- what is is?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I look at Activity Monitor, the only PowerPC app I have running all the time is something called "privoxy".

I've Googled this and and it seems to be some sort of ad-blocking program.

I use Firefox as my primary browser.

Just curious if this is something that I need, or can be deleted (and if so, how to delete it...)

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Double click the process and choose the open files tab. This will show you what files the process is linked to and also where privoxy is located.

If you download the privoxy program, it might have an uninstaller.

You'd actually be best installing the Intel version anyway if you do use it. It does more than ad-blocking it seems. It also has a way of keeping a user anonymous while using the internet.

Does someone else use your computer who may have installed it?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Double click the process and choose the open files tab. This will show you what files the process is linked to and also where privoxy is located.

If you download the privoxy program, it might have an uninstaller.

You'd actually be best installing the Intel version anyway if you do use it. It does more than ad-blocking it seems. It also has a way of keeping a user anonymous while using the internet.

Does someone else use your computer who may have installed it?

Thanks. Good information. There is no one else who has access to my computer, but I am wondering if it might have been installed as part of a proxy-avoidance site (? App) I used many moons ago at work (to get around their overly-restrictive net-nanny).

Once I get back to my computer, will investigate further...

Thanks again for your help.