Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The new MBPs better be under 1 inch thick and weigh less than 3 pounds or I am going to be very angry!!!

Why doesn't Apple listen to their customers?

It's very selfish of you to think that, with the release of the MBA, that Apple would create another laptop only so similar. If you want a MBP, and want it to meet your requirements, get the MBA, and quit complaining.

I think the majority of us who want a MBP don't care what size the thing is. It's a wonderful machine already, and any updates Mac give it will be welcome, just as long as it's not too drastic, like taking all of the good features out of the MBP and creating a MBA.

Be prepared to be very angry... / the majority of us are greatful for any update, and won't be so angry.
  • Reply 182 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norris3eb View Post

It's very selfish of you to think that, with the release of the MBA, that Apple would create another laptop only so similar. If you want a MBP, and want it to meet your requirements, get the MBA, and quit complaining.

I think the majority of us who want a MBP don't care what size the thing is. It's a wonderful machine already, and any updates Mac give it will be welcome, just as long as it's not too drastic, like taking all of the good features out of the MBP and creating a MBA.

Be prepared to be very angry... / the majority of us are greatful for any update, and won't be so angry.

I'm pretty sure you made a serious response to a joke.
  • Reply 183 of 198
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norris3eb View Post

He's being sarcastic
  • Reply 184 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ^The casual nature of internet conversations make it very difficult to pick up on the subtleties of informal speak. Perhaps we need a symbol before and/or after sentences or paragraphs to indicate when one in being sarcastic, facetious, satirical, ironic, derisive or sardonic.^
  • Reply 185 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

^The casual nature of internet conversations make it very difficult to pick up on the subtleties of informal speak. Perhaps we need a symbol before and/or after sentences or paragraphs to indicate when one in being sarcastic, facetious, satirical, ironic, derisive or sardonic.^

Maybe I'm just restating what you mean, but the context is often missing too. I think part Bageljoey's comment was based comments made in other threads. I do agree somewhat with your statments, I think maybe all of us have fallen for sarcasm and hyperboly on occasion. I don't know if a symbol is going to help, sometimes people leave smileys and whoever makes a flamey response didn't notice the smiley.

Personally, I think reading all of a thread before commenting is the best way to prevent foot-in-mouth disease. I know a 19 page thread is long, it's better to read a few more pages before responding to a post on page 2, just to be sure.
  • Reply 186 of 198
    Although I agree that the current case is a beautiful creation, I think they are going to change the case to match the rest of their product line. I think mainly the keyboard though, their new keyboard matches the Macbook and the Macbook Air now has the same keyboard and it's backlit which looks like it will be coming to the Macbook Pro. Also the Macbook Pro is missing a purely magnetic latch, it still has the hooks that are easy to break. If Apple is Apple they will update these things plus more just to stay current with their design philosophy.
  • Reply 187 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryanr14 View Post

Although I agree that the current case is a beautiful creation, I think they are going to change the case to match the rest of their product line. I think mainly the keyboard though, their new keyboard matches the Macbook and the Macbook Air now has the same keyboard and it's backlit which looks like it will be coming to the Macbook Pro. Also the Macbook Pro is missing a purely magnetic latch, it still has the hooks that are easy to break. If Apple is Apple they will update these things plus more just to stay current with their design philosophy.

A new trackpad is the only case redesign I'd expect this time around. I've never broken a single hook latch but I do agree that magnetic latch would be more elegant and reduce moving parts for durability.
  • Reply 188 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Didn't we go through this already?

If you have to explain that it's a joke, then it isn't a very GOOD joke.

I vote that we continue to allow the errors to compound.
  • Reply 189 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylan3d View Post

not a big difference between 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz.

not in performance, but..

ohhhh I'd say about 600 dollars difference in price
  • Reply 190 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

So what you're saying is that the gesturing found on the iPhone is not multi-touch?

If you want semantics, a perfectly acceptable usage of "multi" is to indicate "more than one." Do you understand what "semantic" means?

----------

I think I'm in a petty mood today... sorry all...

You need to understand that in this situation, you cannot rely upon the common usage of a term or word when you are referring to a patented technology that has been given a name by the creator of said technology. Just because "multi" means more than one when used in a normal conversation does not mean that you can use it when talking about multi-touch technology.

P.S. He used "semantic" properly. You were the one unable to grasp the fact that some words or terms can and often do have different meanings or implications when used in certain contexts.
  • Reply 191 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A.Warner View Post

dont be, i want a duet too. i never thought about drums though, i suppose you could get a mixer and mix down the input?

I know that I am stepping into the middle of a conversation, but yes, you can sub mix the drums down to two channels with the use of a mixer, but I do not recommend it if you can help it.

Reason being, if you do this you will only have two channels of audio to adjust and will have no control over whether the snare is too loud at one moment or another, for example.

As much as possible, record each mic as its own channel then you can play with the exact levels when you go to mix it instead of having to obsess over whether or not you hit that crash too hard or whether that last kick was softer than the two before it...

Check out the TASCAM FW-1804. I have one, and I dig it. You will have to get a mixer to really have 8 in 8 out with mic pre s, but it works and the pre s in the unit are great for the price...

-opn
  • Reply 192 of 198
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The Duet is fantastic at what it is, a dual input firewire audio converter (A/D) with killer pre's built-in. To lay down individual tracks on-the-go its probably about the best there is for the money, the fidelity alone is better than anything else in the ballpark. It does have a quirk or two (you'll get used the breakout cable and eventually appreciate it, having just the one control for both the headphone out *and* monitor, well, not so much but you can work around it in Logic).

But opnsource is right, for capturing a large number of mixable inputs like a band, a well-miked drum kit, etc. for mixing later, you'd want to have a multi in/out A/D device with nice pre's. There are some affordable Mac-friendly devices out there (MOTU comes to mind) but personally I find to get the fidelity I want, that would put be in the territory of an Ensemble or two ($2K/per). Or worse. That's a whole different audience (pardon the pun) than the Duet.

So, if you want an amazing, ultra-portable FW audio interface to lay (or layer) down a track or two at a time virtually anywhere/anytime on your MB or MBP (and, back on topic, unfortunately *not* the MBA ), the Duet is worth your while to demo against the competition.

The most important advice is to not buy any of these sight unseen (sound unheard?). Judge with your own ears to decide which interface is the right value for you.

John
  • Reply 193 of 198
    I was re-reading some of the posts about the need for a redesign of the MBP.

I think we may be expecting too much. I doubt there is much scope to make it thinner. It just needs the revised keyboard, gesture touchpad, faster chips and you're done.

Why change it radically for the sake of it?
  • Reply 194 of 198
    Well my tax refund should be coming in a couple weeks. Are we going to get an announcement soon? I certainly hope they don't announce new MBPs and tell us they will be available in two weeks.

I wonder if the current MBPs are selling because alot of folks seem to be waiting........
  • Reply 195 of 198
    Any News or Rumors about the new MBP?

thanks,

Charles
  • Reply 196 of 198
    Feb 12th looks like a legitimate possibility!
  • Reply 197 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A.Warner View Post

Feb 12th looks like a legitimate possibility!

That's my guess. And hopefully the new 10.5.2 before then.
  • Reply 198 of 198
    Be cool if they make the hard drive access external like the macbook. Would be even cooler if they lower the price $100 on the base model or throw in an extra year warranty :-/