Which term do you prefer between a notebook and a laptop

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We Koreans usually say "it's a notebook", but one of my friends told me that it's a wrong English word and I should say "it's a laptop". But I don't think so. I have seen many Americans saying "it's a notebook" instead of saying "it's a laptop." Even Apple official website writes "a notebook" for instance, "The world's thinnest notebook. Macbook Air." Which term do you prefer to use between a notebook and a laptop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    i think they say notebook now because they get too hot to be put on the lap and therefore would be bad marketing or whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It's not "wrong English". The term "notebook" may be more prevalent, but people definitely use the term laptop as well. That's like saying the term "couch" is wrong because most people say "sofa". People say both.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I prefer laptop over notebook. Whenever I hear notebook the first thing that comes to mind is the notebook that you write and take notes in.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

I prefer laptop over notebook. Whenever I hear notebook the first thing that comes to mind is the notebook that you write and take notes in.

Whoa.

Eman sighting.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Whoa.

Eman sighting.

haha I know it's been a while. I was stuck watching chick flicks with my girlfriend before so I figured AI on my iPhone was a better choice over paying attention to the movie.

How've you been Shawn?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Most Americans call it a laptop; as do I.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I call it a notebook
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Apple's next updates are rumored to be the MacTop and MacTop Pro.