Macbook Air vs Macbook

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    Yup, that looks pretty tiny. Thanks for the link. I did see this article earlier today and don't quite get it. It makes the VIAO look as if it's 1.25" to 1.5" thick - either that or the MBA is sitting in a hole in the table. Are the PC sub-notebooks really that chunky? Maybe so. Steve Jobs' little graphic demo showing the MBA as compared to a Sony sub-notebook where the thinnest part of their notebook is thicker than the thickest part of the MacBook Air is pretty compelling. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the rest of the MacBook line. It seems as if a 1" MacBook Pro would look kinda slim next to that VIAO. I suppose the lesson here is that I should never underestimate the lameness of what goes on in the PC world.
  • Reply 82 of 113
    I must also say that I wish the whole footprint of this thing were smaller, something more like a 12" MacBook. That thing was super tiny. I'm not sure I mind a smaller screen and unless I'm wrong the 12" MB had a full sized keyboard too didn't it? As I recall there was virtually no boarder around it though. The MBA's got a pretty hefty boarder around both the keyboard and the LCD. I guess I'm just wanting a different product than what they decided to produce. Oh hum...
  • Reply 83 of 113
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1x4x9 View Post

I must also say that I wish the whole footprint of this thing were smaller, something more like a 12" MacBook. That thing was super tiny. I'm not sure I mind a smaller screen and unless I'm wrong the 12" MB had a full sized keyboard too didn't it? As I recall there was virtually no boarder around it though. The MBA's got a pretty hefty boarder around both the keyboard and the LCD. I guess I'm just wanting a different product than what they decided to produce. Oh hum...

Well, it is not just you, there are plenty of people out there who miss the 12 inch footprint!

Personally, I like the idea of the MBAir--I would prefer the thin and light over the small. Still, I'm not the target market either as I will probably get a MBP for my next portable. I go back and forth, but I expect its 6 months to a year before I buy again so who knows what I will settle on. (But it won't be a 12 incher even if they release one...)
  • Reply 84 of 113
    thttht Posts: 5,619member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

There basically the same size? Once they hit the Apple store I will go in and take exact measurements of the height every half inch, then do the real math.

I am so looking forward to your volume calculation!

Quote:

But I can tell you that the MacAir takes up atleast 25% less volume than a macbook, probably closer to 35%, and is atleast 35% lighter.

I'm betting on 45% less volume.

Quote:

Also the volume it loses due to the thinness vs having a smaller width/depth footprint is the most beneficial to the person who wants to put it into a backpack or briefcase or envelope.

You and I are in sync! After carrying around a desktop replacement laptop (17" screen, 2" thick), a normal laptop (15" screen, 1.5" thick), and my G1 iBook G3 (12.1", 1.3" thick), every little bit of weight will help and every little bit of thinness will help lug the thing around. The critical size factor for carry-on 2-day laptop rolling cases is thinness! Less laptop means more clothes to stretch out to 3 days.
  • Reply 85 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Your argument is completely flawed in every aspect.

1. The price difference for both machines with 2gb ram is $550, NOT $700.

2. You are comparing 2 different classes of computers, you should not be comparing a macbook air vs a macbook, you should be comparing a macbook air vs other 3lb notebooks. Once you do this you will quickly realize 2 things. The macbook air packs a bigger punch and the macbook air is very competitvely priced compared to the competition.

If I were to follow your argument anylasys I would say that comparing your macbook to my Dell XPS 420 at work

-$200 cheaper

-has a much smaller footprint width wise

-has 6 usb ports

-has 3gb ram

-has 2 optical drives

-has a faster quad core processor

-plays dvds and blu-ray disks

Or you could compare the features of a Lexus GS430 and a Nissan Sentra.

Half of your points arent even features. Doesnt require a usb hub? WTH?

I disagree. As a MacBook user, I came here specifically to find some comparison posts between MB and MBA. A LOT of potentially MBA purchasers are probably just like me - they have a MB or MBP and are considering the MBA.

After reading the original authors post, my decision is made. It's just not worth it to dump my MB for the MBA. Two pounds is NOTHING and NO ONE is going to notice that. Are you all weaklings - can't handle carrying 5 pounds. The author is also correct that some of that weight difference is going to be lost by the likelihood of MBA users needing to carry around additional accessories.

The price difference is actually $650 - do you really think most MBA users are not going to by the optional optical drive? If they don't at first, they will most definitely need to in the future. There's no way one can get back, with MBA as a primary machine, without purchasing the optical drive. Therefore, add the $99 to your $550 and you've got $650.

Essentially, those that choose a MBA over a MB are simply paying $650 more, for a lesser machine, all based on design.

I love Apple and will never go back to PC
  • Reply 86 of 113
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post

I disagree. As a MacBook user, I came here specifically to find some comparison posts between MB and MBA. A LOT of potentially MBA purchasers are probably just like me - they have a MB or MBP and are considering the MBA.

After reading the original authors post, my decision is made. It's just not worth it to dump my MB for the MBA. Two pounds is NOTHING and NO ONE is going to notice that. Are you all weaklings - can't handle carrying 5 pounds. The author is also correct that some of that weight difference is going to be lost by the likelihood of MBA users needing to carry around additional accessories.

The price difference is actually $650 - do you really think most MBA users are not going to by the optional optical drive? If they don't at first, they will most definitely need to in the future. There's no way one can get back, with MBA as a primary machine, without purchasing the optical drive. Therefore, add the $99 to your $550 and you've got $650.

Essentially, those that choose a MBA over a MB are simply paying $650 more, for a lesser machine, all based on design.

It appears that you have zero understanding of the market at which the MBA is aimed.

Calling names is not permitted here. They have been edited out. Your whole account will be edited out if there is any further name-calling.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

So you think all ultraportables are bizarre products, right?

What? Have you had a serious brain malfunction?

Basically the same footprint? Yes. Basically the same size? Hell no.

And since when does weight not factor into how portable something is?

Seriously?

Take something that's roughly 5lbs and hold it in one hand. Now take something that's roughly 3lbs and hold it in the other. If you don't immediately begin laughing at yourself for how obsurd that comment sounds, you have larger problems to worry about.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Seriously?

Take something that's roughly 5lbs and hold it in one hand. Now take something that's roughly 3lbs and hold it in the other. If you don't immediately begin laughing at yourself for how obsurd that comment sounds, you have larger problems to worry about.

Carry that weight around all day and then get back to us.

Back packing enthusiasts spend all kind of money to shave ounces off of gear carried on their backs, because it matters when you are carrying that weight for a long time.

Really, if you don't understand why there is a market for laptops that make tradeoffs to save a little weight (and by some measurements it will always be a little weight, since most laptops don't weigh that much, in absolute terms, in the first place), that fine, but you then have to assume that everyone who buys such machines is delusional, pathetically weak, or both. Is that what you mean to say?
  • Reply 89 of 113
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Carry that weight around all day and then get back to us.

Back packing enthusiasts spend all kind of money to shave ounces off of gear carried on their backs, because it matters when you are carrying that weight for a long time.

Really, if you don't understand why there is a market for laptops that make tradeoffs to save a little weight (and by some measurements it will always be a little weight, since most laptops don't weigh that much, in absolute terms, in the first place), that fine, but you then have to assume that everyone who buys such machines is delusional, pathetically weak, or both. Is that what you mean to say?

Neither, actually.

I truly think it's a wonder that Apple has managed to fit such an amazing machine into such a small, sleek package.

But the original poster is weighing (no pun intended) his options, plusses and minuses, between a MacBook and a MacBook Air.

If the MacBook is even an option, there should be no question here. And when someone is on here ranting about a two pound difference, you can't help but shake your head in amazement.

Be real with yourself here for a minute. He's not going to be hiking to the top of mount everest with one of these things. The two pounds the original poster would save throughout any given day will most likely not make up for the fact that the MacBook has the following advantages:

- It's 700$ cheaper

- It's got a slightly smaller footprint

- It's got 2 USB ports

- It's got a firewire port

- It has replaceable and upgradeable RAM

- It has a replaceable and upgradeable harddrive

- It has a bigger harddrive

- It has an optical drive

- It doesn't need a second computer to do everything you need.

- It has sound input

- It has digital optical sound in and output

- It has a replaceable battery

- It has a Kensington lock connector

- It has a faster processor

- It has gigabit ethernet

- It can target disk mode

- It plays DVDs

- It doesn't require an USB Hub

- It's got stereo speakers

- It's got FrontRow and an Apple remote

Thanks to G-News for the breakdown.

Now, I realize that to a great deal of people these advantages simply don't matter. They need or want the portability. But we're not talking about them, we're talking to the original poster. After all, we are posting in his thread.

So don't be ridiculous. The two pounds simply will not matter.
  • Reply 90 of 113
    bbjaibbjai Posts: 48member
    it doesn't seem like alot of people seem to know that MB users could consider switching to MBA. This is the type of thread that they need. I find alot of potential MBA users are quite critical of others who compare the products. Personally I find the MBA a quite bizarre product myself. As others have listed its footprint is similar to the MB. That immediately puts it in a comparison to the MB market wise. People will look at both no matter what happens. When you rock up to the Apple store they will look at both machines and weigh up the options. MB buyers are potential MBA buyers but many and i would say 90% of them won't buy the MBA. But they will look. Im sure the MBA satisfies many people and their requirement, there is no doubt about that. But for potential new laptop users the MB will be the one purchased most of the time.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post

1. 2 pounds is nothing to noone? This is simply delusional. Try carrying a laptop around with you 8 hours a day 5 days a week, every week of your life. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER own a laptop that weighs more than 4.5 lbs. At the moment im using a Lenovo X61 at 3lbs. its awesome device to lug around except for the resolution (1024x768) No I am not weak. I weigh 180 and can bench press 225 all day long. If weight didnt mean anything to anyone, computer makes could just make all laptops 8-10lbs and load them up with all the conveniences of a desktop. Whether the macbook air will fit their needs will very from person to person. The only thing I am waiting on is too see real world battery usage numbers posted from real world users once they hit the shelves. I need 4 hours and 4 hours exactly to make it through my school day without carrying the power adapter. So if real world numbers say this is possible, then like old Jack Burton always said, I found a machine to fit the bill.

2. The price difference is NOT $650. I think less than 20% of macbook air users will purchase the optical drive the first year, and less than 10% the next year when people really do realize that they dont need it.

The only people who will be purchasing at are: 1) People whos jobs rely on the constant use of CD/DVD's. 2) People like you who cannot seem to grasp that you do NOT need an optical drive for a laptop 99% of the time. 3) People who must have every new accessory with whatever they buy.

AND

Of the people who fit in catagories 2 and 3, if they are deal savy in the least bit, they will realize they can buy an external drive from newegg for $50-$60 that is twice the speed of the apple drive. Only the people who fall into the category 1 will buy the apple drive as it is self powered and may need to use it in the field.

I have used this Lenovo X61 for months, it does NOT have an optical drive. The only time I needed one was the day i got it, to uninstall vista and load XP. Since then I have never had the need for one. Welcome to 2008.

Noones buying the macbook air over the macbook based on design, They will choose it based on size and weight.

On your first point, about current macbook/macbook pro users possibly switching to the macbook air. I agree with you there. BUT. The vast majority of macbook air buyers or prospective buyers are NOT currently macbook/macbook pro users. They are people just like me who love OS X and need a very light laptop, and until now have been forced to use Windows, because the weight/size factor is more important to them than the OS X factor.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

- It has a Kensington lock connector

This is my real issue. Has anyone tried to get some sense out of Apple? I would buy a MBA now if I knew that I could secure it to one of the many places I will lug it around to work. I spoke to Apple Store UK about it the other day and they transferred me to some guy in the States. When I asked what means there was of securing the laptop he simply replied that that was an excellent question and that maybe we'd know more when the machine was officially released. Seems unlikely to me - are Apple really going to stop production to insert a connector for a Kensington lock?
  • Reply 93 of 113
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

This is my real issue. Has anyone tried to get some sense out of Apple? I would buy a MBA now if I knew that I could secure it to one of the many places I will lug it around to work. I spoke to Apple Store UK about it the other day and they transferred me to some guy in the States. When I asked what means there was of securing the laptop he simply replied that that was an excellent question and that maybe we'd know more when the machine was officially released. Seems unlikely to me - are Apple really going to stop production to insert a connector for a Kensington lock?

http://www.evilmerc.com/uploads/kens...er_key_low.wmv

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1052

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L013-.../dp/B000RPVHDC
  • Reply 94 of 113
    Oh...lest anyone think their office door is a decent deterrent:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/b...open-any-lock/
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbjai View Post

it doesn't seem like alot of people seem to know that MB users could consider switching to MBA. This is the type of thread that they need. I find alot of potential MBA users are quite critical of others who compare the products. Personally I find the MBA a quite bizarre product myself. As others have listed its footprint is similar to the MB. That immediately puts it in a comparison to the MB market wise. People will look at both no matter what happens. When you rock up to the Apple store they will look at both machines and weigh up the options. MB buyers are potential MBA buyers but many and i would say 90% of them won't buy the MBA. But they will look. Im sure the MBA satisfies many people and their requirement, there is no doubt about that. But for potential new laptop users the MB will be the one purchased most of the time.

You are *Spot On* on this assessment!. People comparing MBA to PCs are completely missing the point because they are totally different things, even though the purpose might be similar. Just like comparing a boat to my BMW!. Both are transportation vehicles but mode of usage are very different.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Some drill holes in spoons to save weight.
  • Reply 97 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbjai View Post

it doesn't seem like alot of people seem to know that MB users could consider switching to MBA.

The only folks that would consider the MBA over the MB are folks who wanted the lightest Mac notebook available.

Quote:

This is the type of thread that they need. I find alot of potential MBA users are quite critical of others who compare the products.

Only because the comparisons miss the entire point of the MBA and sometimes are completely misleading.

Quote:

Personally I find the MBA a quite bizarre product myself.

Exactly. You don't want a MBA and aren't the target demographic/user. Therefore your comparisons are of little value to the demographic/target user of the MBA because their selection criteria is DIFFERENT FROM YOURS.

Quote:

MB buyers are potential MBA buyers but many and i would say 90% of them won't buy the MBA.

That's because 90% of current MB buyers aren't actually ultraportable buyers. The remaining 10% has been hoping for a lighter, more portable option but getting the MB because that was the previous lightest and most portable Mac laptop available. If the MBA sells 10% of MB volume it will be a roaring success.

Quote:

But they will look. Im sure the MBA satisfies many people and their requirement, there is no doubt about that. But for potential new laptop users the MB will be the one purchased most of the time.

No kidding. Thanks for stating the obvious.
  • Reply 98 of 113
    I say buy a Macbook Air, and buy an iPod classic 160 gig for the photos.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Oh, and on the subject of Comparing MBA vs MB, or comparing MBA vs other full-size (note: NOT UMPC)... To me its like this:

Guy: "This motorcycle sucks, though its smaller and I can park anywhere, not to mention the gas mileage is amazing, there is no 3rd row bench! Also, the cabin noise is a bit excessive, My Ford Exploder is quieter than this thing on the highway! Also, my Ford Exploder has a rear DVD-entertainment system, this Yamaha R1 Bike doesn't even have that option! Pfffbbbt! It sucks! However, I love its sexy looks and can't stop staring!"

• Reply 100 of 113
    thttht Posts: 5,619member