Solid State Drive on Next Macbook Pros?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

reporting from this Computer World's Blog article: Computer World Blog

[...] A 16-32Gb boot/cache/system solid state disk with the user accounts on a traditional hard drive (and libraries/applications on either) might make the most sense if they can package it right. [...]

Apart from the real possibilities that SSD will actually come on next MBPs... what do they mean? a small (they say 16-32 GB only!) SSD for boot & system files, coupled with a traditional big HD for data and software?

anyway, I hope next MBPs will come soon, with a significant case redesign!

Thanx and bye,

Marco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4everskiff View Post

Hi all,

reporting from this Computer World's Blog article: Computer World Blog

The talkbacks on that page give excellent reasons why this is not coming.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

The talkbacks on that page give excellent reasons why this is not coming.

AH! Actually, not really afraid about that ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4everskiff View Post

anyway, I hope next MBPs will come soon, with a significant case redesign!

Why does everyone want the case redesign? The look may be a bit dated, but I still think it's gorgeous. Can't imagine an MBP looking any different, really.

But that SSD for boot would be pretty neat. I'd definitely like that if it didn't add too much to the price.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

Why does everyone want the case redesign? The look may be a bit dated, but I still think it's gorgeous. Can't imagine an MBP looking any different, really.

Yes, you're right, but... it seems that a MBP case redesign it's quite to come; I don't know when, and I don't care WHY! I just care as follows: going to buy my first apple notebook ever, I would be very disappointed if, in the next few months, apple would release a brand new redesigned notebook! it's not a reason of "fashion", but just a care about the value of what I (would) just bought!

Quote:

But that SSD for boot would be pretty neat. I'd definitely like that if it didn't add too much to the price.

Yes, it would be, absolutely, but look at the price of the MBA SSD option! actually, too much!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I expect SSDs to be a BTO option starting with the next speedbump.

I don't expect a case redesign this time. Perhaps after Montevina.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

The reasons for wanting a case redesign are very simple:

1. New Apple keyboard is excellent every Mac now has it, so why can't the top of the range MBPs have it too?

2. Sure, current MBP is a design classic, but it is heavy. Since new components have enabled other vendors to reduce their machines in size and weight, why can't Apple make the MBP case size correspondingly lighter?

3. Thinner would also be nice, because MBPs take up a lot of space in a brief case and like most people I need a DVD drive, ethernet port, at least 2 USB ports plus video port when I travel.

One of the very best designs on the market is the Sony VAIO SZ-Series. This is both thinner and lighter than a MBP, but only has a 13.3" screen. It does offer all of the requisite ports and is a brilliant compromise. The only drawback is f**king Vista.

If Apple made a 13.3" MacBook Pro, I'd already have bought one. Since they don't, I'm up for a 15" version. But, like so many other people, I just wish it was a bit more portable.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    As for buying, and then having an update shortly after:

I bought a 15" Titanium G4 Powerbook in Summer of 2003. I was new to Mac, so I didn't know about product cycles, to wait, or anything like that.

2-3 months after I bought my laptop, they came out with the Aluminum G4 15". It had a better processor, bigger HDD, a newly-designed (and backlit) keyboard, etc.

Was I a bit disappointed? Sure.

Did my computer stop functioning? Heck no! I used the thing for 4 years with great results and was very happy with it. It was still working 100% properly, but I decided with the summer '07 MBP upgrades that it was time for something newer and faster (as well as Intel).

So, sure there's some sting in buying something and having a new version shortly after. You should wait as long as you can before buying, and then buy when you need to. If you need a computer now, you need it now.

Is there work to be done now? Can you wait a few weeks/months? That's up to you. Wait as long as possible, then buy, and don't look back. (Unless the update happens within 7-30 days of your purchase, then I'd see about trade-in options)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I would guess that the MBP will look marginally different this time around. It should certainly get a new keyboard and the larger trackpad (with the new multi-touch gesturing). Apple will probably take the opportunity to refresh the shell as well. I'm not sure whether it will look like the MBA or whether a new MB will look like the MBA, but it could be played either way. Lastly, the MBP may get marginally thinner, but probably not very noticeably (unless Apple employs the "tapered" look as they did with the MBA to fool you into thinking it's thinner -- in the case of the MBA, the notebook is thinner, but there's no denying that the tapering exaggerates this).

I'm just hoping that the aluminum comes to the MB because the plastic is looking really tired: much more than the look of the MBP.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The reasons for wanting a case redesign are very simple:

1. New Apple keyboard is excellent every Mac now has it, so why can't the top of the range MBPs have it too?

2. Sure, current MBP is a design classic, but it is heavy. Since new components have enabled other vendors to reduce their machines in size and weight, why can't Apple make the MBP case size correspondingly lighter?

3. Thinner would also be nice, because MBPs take up a lot of space in a brief case and like most people I need a DVD drive, ethernet port, at least 2 USB ports plus video port when I travel.

1. Not sure what the keyboard has to do with a case redesign.

2. As long as Apple sticks with 15+" inch LCDs wrapped in aluminum with all of the features, MPBs will be 5+ lbs. You're looking for a 13.3" MBP which can maybe hit 4 to 4.5 lbs.

3. The MBPs are already 1 inch thick. That's thinner than many ultra-portables. A 13.3" MBP has a smaller footprint, and if it was made, it'll fit easier into brief cases that have smaller footprints.

Quote:

One of the very best designs on the market is the Sony VAIO SZ-Series. This is both thinner and lighter than a MBP, but only has a 13.3" screen. It does offer all of the requisite ports and is a brilliant compromise.

The VAIO SZ series is lighter, but it is not thinner than MacBook Pros or even MacBooks. Its thickness varies from 0.9" to 1.3". Like all Windows based laptops, it has things that are PC-like while MB/MBPs are Apple-like. That is, Windows laptops have a plethora of ports including port replicators, while Apple laptops have less ports, but what they have is fairly unique. The SZ doesn't have a DVI port. Apple does on all its machines. The SZ has WWAN, port replicator / docking station port, and Apple doesn't. Apple has full-sized Firewire ports, the SZ has mini ones. The MB doesn't have a express card slot, while Windows laptops do.

If you want something like the SZ for running OS X, you'd have to compromise with a MacBook.

Quote:

If Apple made a 13.3" MacBook Pro, I'd already have bought one. Since they don't, I'm up for a 15" version. But, like so many other people, I just wish it was a bit more portable.

Yeah. There still is a hole in the lineup between $1599 to $1999. A 13.3" MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics supported dual-link DVI and express card slot could fill that hole nicely at $1699 and I doubt it'll effect MBA sales. They'll need to apply all that MBA engineering to make it 1" thick though.

What also missing is the MacBook Pro Quad.

For the case redesign, I think it's as simple as fashion, just like it is with cars. Apple needs to come up with new looks to stay on the edge and to continue to pique changing and subjective beauty interests as time moves on.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If they bother at all with the case design I wish they'd make the HDD as accessible as it is on the Macbook.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I know, how can you make the design any simpler? They could size it down, but not as much as the Air cause the Air is just impractical.