I Love My iPod Touch!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After upgrading to 1.1.3, I really appreciate just how cool the iPod Touch is. The Mail app is spectacular. I thought that it was just an app for pop3 mail, but man was I wrong. I have my Yahoo, Gmail and a GoDaddy account set up there. It's amazing! I love the little number on the icon, to indicate the number of new emails.

I also love the video capabilities, Safari, stocks, weather and just about everything else except UTube. I could care less about that one. I wish that there was a way to remove that icon. For now, I just shoved it over to a second page so I don't have to see it.

My previous favorite iPod was the 3G Nano due to the video capabilities and it's size. I'm gonna sell the Nano now.

What would I like to see offered in future Touchs?

1. 2M camera

2. Edge or some sort of data plan - I know, I could just get a phone but ATT has poor coverage where I live, work and play. Come one ATT - buy out USCelllular!!!

3. Bluetooth (for headphones)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good to here Mick. My iPhone is alright too
  • Reply 2 of 17
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good to here Mick. My iPhone is alright too

Thanks again for the Shuffle! It's full of 80's rock.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Thanks again for the Shuffle! It's full of 80's rock.

Ah don't mention it. Loves the 80's stuff too myself.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Do either of you feel constrained by the lack of storage capacity on the iPhone and iTouch?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Do either of you feel constrained by the lack of storage capacity on the iPhone and iTouch?

Not all. At first, I thought that 16GB wouldn' be enough, but that's not the case.

Here's what's on my Touch right now:

Music = 1,162 songs = 4.61GB

Movies = 4.17GB consisting of 13 tv shows and 1 movie. (These were recorded from over the air HD signals, then converted to MP4 for the iPod. That's why they are listed in Movies rather than TV Shows.)

TV Shows = 0.5GB - Free pilot episode of Terminator from iTunes

Podcasts = 9 podcasts = 192MB

There are some photos on there too.

I've never ran out of room, yet, nor do I think that I ever would.

• Reply 6 of 17
    camera, edge plan, bluetooth will not going to happen. no way. it's not phone.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archurban View Post

camera, edge plan, bluetooth will not going to happen. no way. it's not phone.

Yah, I know. I was hoping for a "phoneless iPhone".
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

After upgrading to 1.1.3, I really appreciate just how cool the iPod Touch is. The Mail app is spectacular. I thought that it was just an app for pop3 mail, but man was I wrong. I have my Yahoo, Gmail and a GoDaddy account set up there. It's amazing! I love the little number on the icon, to indicate the number of new emails.

Thanks for the glowing report! At first I wasn't interested in the Touch, but the AT&T contract is becoming a big negative so maybe I will go the Touch route.

Quote:

I also love the video capabilities, Safari, stocks, weather and just about everything else except UTube. I could care less about that one. I wish that there was a way to remove that icon. For now, I just shoved it over to a second page so I don't have to see it.

I always like uTube, but frankly don't experience it much on dial up. Maybe I'd grow tired. In the larger sense though the lack of Adobe Flash support is an issue for me as some sites I like use it. Flash may be evil but until an alternative is found Apple really needs to look at supporting it. In any event Apple support of Mail on this device is another nail in iPhones coffin.

Quote:

My previous favorite iPod was the 3G Nano due to the video capabilities and it's size. I'm gonna sell the Nano now.

What would I like to see offered in future Touchs?

1. 2M camera

Actually I hope the keep a version without this around for a long time. The reason is simple sometimes I need to go places where a camera isn't permitted. As a side ntoe this is becoming a big issue with Cell phones as cameraless cellphones are hard to find now a days.

Quote:

2. Edge or some sort of data plan - I know, I could just get a phone but ATT has poor coverage where I live, work and play. Come one ATT - buy out USCelllular!!!

I'm actually hoping for WiMax support. In a larger Touch like device I'd like to see provision for an optional card so that you can connect with the service of your choice. chipset support for all these features isn't far away, so maybe with the next res we will have more capability.

Quote:

3. Bluetooth (for headphones)

Actually I'd like to see much fuller Bluetooth support on the Touch based devices. Frankly as many profiles as make sense for the platform. Audio device of course but also keyboards and such. Access to other profiles would come in very handy too.

I'm not sure why Apple is so reluctant to support Bluetooth on the iPhone. I mean yeah it is there but the number of profiles support sucks. More profiles just mean a more diverse range of applications once the SDK is released. Yes I can think of many apps that such portable devices would be prefect for.

In any event glad you are happy. More so I have a common desire to see the platform improved in the same manner that you want. Hopefully Apple will notice. It is not like some of the things described above are impossible on the current model. That is physical space is there.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Yes and no. It's actually a relief to find that you can fit a lot more on the iPhone than you'd expect. Really though, after a while you do find yourself wanting more. The iPhone is the kind of device that couldn't possibly have too much storage, as it's so may things in one. I'd personally love an iPhone with 40+GB of storage, and when that day comes I'm buying it. Having too much storage is not a bad thing, so I'd be in heaven with about 60GB.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    After the recent software update, I was warming up towards the idea of picking up nice new Touch for myself until today, when during casual web browsing i accidentally run into Nokia N800 and soon after N810.

N800 at 270? (same price as Touch 8GB)

*WLAN: 802.11b/g

*Bluetooth

* High-resolution touch screen (800 x 480 pixels) with up to 65,536 colors

* Opera 8

* Adobe® Flash® 9 browser plug-in

* Skype support

* Internet calling with integrated webcamera

* Instant Messaging

* Multi-protocol email client

* Full screen finger keyboard

* High quality stereo speakers and sensitive microphone

* Media player

* Expandable mass memory

* Two internal memory card slots, compatible with SD, MicroSD, MiniSD, MMC, and RS-MMC. Supports memory cards up to 8GB.

* Integrated desk stand for on-table-use

Not to mention N810 which at 450? comes with built-in GPS, slide out qwerty keyboard and more

I just can't avoid feeling this same way as I did years ago when buying Apple computers I thought: They are great and beautiful machines but expensive and somehow limiting.

Nowadays Mac's are not expansive any more, and for most of the time not limiting (and if we run into some trouble in the PC dominated world, there is always Boot Camp solution).

But when it comes to iPhone/iPod Touch I have impression we are back to square one.

Of course you might argue that Apple's way of doing things is way much more intuitive, elegant and beautiful than anything out there, but does it always have to come at the cost of delivering somehow underpowered devices.

I really love the feel and look of Touch but at the and of the day I'm not sure if all those esthetic values can offset the lack of all the useful stuff that is not there.

Cheers,
  • Reply 11 of 17
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    But that's a cell phone. Why should I get a cell phone when I don't want or need one.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Nokia N800 and N810 are internet tablets, not cell phones.

If they would have cell phone capabilities i don't think i would even consider Touch at all.

... well, Ok maybe I would.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    yeah yeah, the i pod touch is great and all. but there needs to be some upgrading going on!!! like the speaker on the i phones. HOW GREAT WOULD THAT BE! plus, the screen could be a little bit bigger, its hard to type in stuff on that tiny keyboard. and i have lettle fingers.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Oops. I thought I saw 3G and other phone features when I first read J.Maxs' post. But I see now that it is WiFi and VOIP.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ereed08 View Post

yeah yeah, the i pod touch is great and all. but there needs to be some upgrading going on!!! like the speaker on the i phones. HOW GREAT WOULD THAT BE! plus, the screen could be a little bit bigger, its hard to type in stuff on that tiny keyboard. and i have lettle fingers.

I too would like a speaker, if for nothing else, but the alarm. I tried using it in a hotel, but either it doesn't work, or I just can't hear it.

I also use the Touch as a flashlight but at home and in hotels. It really lights up the room.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    So apparently the Touch now has VPN support (i.e secured networking). I don't know if this is because of 1.1.3 or the pay-for upgrade.

This is awesome because the wireless at my place of work is secured. Before I had to log in through the lame web page. Now I should just be able to turn the VPN on and surf away.

Need to test it.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Yes, I also love my updated Touch's new functionality as well! The Mail app is awesome, I now can access mail accounts for Yahoo, Gmail, Comcast, AOL, .Mac and any others I can think of! The Mail app's HTML viewing experience is phenomenal and blows away the competition. Wish I could batch delete messages, however.

Love the ability to create website icons and having nine homescreens, can't wait for official SDK apps to become available.

Beats paying AT&T over $2,400 for a locked-in two year iPhone contract!!!

Now if it had Bluetooth stereo audio profile and Safari supported Flash, the Touch would be a nearly ideal device!