MacBook Pro HDD Upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well I've just about outgrown the hard disk on my MacBook Pro and was wondering about upgrading it. From what I've read, it is not "user-upgradeable" and will void my warranty.

Since I don't want to fool with that, I was wondering what other people have done in my situation. Did you upgrade it yourself? Is this something I can get done at an Apple store? I really don't want to buy a whole new laptop just because I'm out of storage space. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just buy an external drive and hook that up, but that cuts down on the portability a bit. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well I've just about outgrown the hard disk on my MacBook Pro and was wondering about upgrading it. From what I've read, it is not "user-upgradeable" and will void my warranty.

Since I don't want to fool with that, I was wondering what other people have done in my situation. Did you upgrade it yourself? Is this something I can get done at an Apple store? I really don't want to buy a whole new laptop just because I'm out of storage space. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just buy an external drive and hook that up, but that cuts down on the portability a bit. Any suggestions?

I was in a similar situation with my Powerbook. I needed it so I didn't trust myself to muck inside it to that level. I talked to my local Apple Store, but they said they would only do it with a HD bought from them "so they could guarantee the work" which, of course, would have raised the price a bit.

In the end, I had my brother in law replace it and, watching the process, I was glad that I was not in charge. There was no one thing I couldn't have done, I just would have been too stressed holding the guts of my compter in hand...

So, I don't know if this helps. There are plenty of people who are comfortable diggin' in, but I max out at RAM.

Apple will do it, but it starts to cost.

An external drive gets old quick if you move around.

One thing. There were some programs that will help clean out your hard drive. Just pulling all the foreign language support garbage off my HD saved an unbelievable amount of space and allowed me to use the laptop for a few more months before space became an issue again. Make sure you have looked into that...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Thanks for the info Bageljoey. I too was able to max out my RAM, but I don't want to be taking apart the laptop myself. I removed the language support also and that did save some space, but I'm back down to about 600 MB.

I may just check out my local Apple store to see just how much it would all cost.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    This Macbook Pro hard drive upgrade service is probably cheaper than Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

This Macbook Pro hard drive upgrade service is probably cheaper than Apple.

COOL! One of their dealers is not far from my house! Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

COOL! One of their dealers is not far from my house! Thanks!

I'm here to help.