First HDD-based MacBook Airs to land stateside on Feb 1st

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Much to their excitement, several Apple Store customers are waking up this morning to find confirmation emails indicating that their hard disk drive-based MacBook Air notebooks have shipped.

Those fortunate enough say the Air's shipped out of China earlier this morning and are due to arrive on their doorsteps Friday, Feb. 1st via FedEx. Thus far, there have been no reports to indicate that Apple is also shipping units to its chain of retail stores.

Meanwhile, those customers waiting on the $3100 version of the super-slim notebook employing a solid-state flash drive (SSD) in place of a traditional hard drive continue to wait patiently for their orders. Checks with these customers indicate the first SSD MacBook Airs will ship sometime between Feb. 6th and Feb 8th.

Readers who may be considering a MacBook Air purchase may want to check out how it stacks up against other ultra-light notebook offerings, AppleInsider's first look at the Air, and an assortment of photo galleries (1, 2, 3).

Given that the HDD-based MacBook Air largely represents a compressed version of the company's existing MacBook line, AppleInsider in the coming weeks will be focusing the majority of its review efforts on the advancements put forth by the SSD model.

Those readers who don't mind waiting a little longer for their MacBook Air may want to look into purchasing from Amazon.com, which offers most customers an instant savings between $130 and $230 via a lack of sales tax.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Wow, the one ordered for my wife had a ship date of Feb 14. It would make for such a great Valentines' Day surprise if it shipped earlier!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Don't you mean solid-state drives?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

Don't you mean solid-state drives?

Its HDD based macbook air not SSD

they did mention SSD still need to wait a little longer
  • Reply 4 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think they should have had at least some review samples available for testing. The testing will happen soon enough, I'd just like to see if there's a noticeable speed improvement. I'd also like to see settled whether or not there's a worthwhile increase in battery life, which doesn't seem possible given the power consumption specs I've found on both types of drives. The power figures are negligibly different relative to the rest of the computer.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I am anxious for user feedback as we might acquire an HDD version for around the house.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think they should have had at least some review samples available for testing. The testing will happen soon enough, I'd just like to see if there's a noticeable speed improvement. I'd also like to see settled whether or not there's a worthwhile increase in battery life, which doesn't seem possible given the power consumption specs I've found on both types of drives. The power figures are negligibly different relative to the rest of the computer.

I agree. It seems odd that people would pay that awesome premium (for less storage)without knowing the actual differences/benefits.

I don't blame Apple for offering it--people would be screaming for it if it was not an option--but it is hard to imagine someone ordering it before it gets tested...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I am anxious for user feedback as we might acquire an HDD version for around the house.

If it is just for around the house, what is the benefit to getting the Air over a faster, cheeper MacBook with more storage?

I carry my computer back and forth to work every day. I might consider the Air as my next purchase; but I wouldn't if I was just moving it from room to room...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ikueikue Posts: 5member
    Has anyone tried ordering any other Apple computer? I ordered an iMac going on 2 weeks now and had an email sent saying that the package was shipped. For some reason however it is just sitting in one spot, and FedEx has been absolutely no help. I had heard that Apple is supposedly "updating" their mighty mouse and remotes to better match the aluminum line they are following. I had also heard that 10.5.2 has been added to the newly bought machines and that Apple doesn't want anyone getting it before anyone else. (much like the Family Guy DVD with iPod embedded movie)

Can anyone confirm? Or am I just having smoke blown up my rear.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ikue View Post

Has anyone tried ordering any other Apple computer? I ordered an iMac going on 2 weeks now and had an email sent saying that the package was shipped. For some reason however it is just sitting in one spot, and FedEx has been absolutely no help. I had heard that Apple is supposedly "updating" their mighty mouse and remotes to better match the aluminum line they are following. I had also heard that 10.5.2 has been added to the newly bought machines and that Apple doesn't want anyone getting it before anyone else. (much like the Family Guy DVD with iPod embedded movie)

Can anyone confirm? Or am I just having smoke blown up my rear.

Are you certain that it couldn't be a generic issue with Fedex and/or Customs vis-a-vis Nassau/Bahamas?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I agree. It seems odd that people would pay that awesome premium (for less storage)without knowing the actual differences/benefits.

I don't blame Apple for offering it--people would be screaming for it if it was not an option--but it is hard to imagine someone ordering it before it gets tested...

I ordered it. Pages documents don't take up much space, so I'll be fine.

It's not for gaming, right?

It's expensive, but the extra $$ isn't just for a super-quick booting (allegedly)

laptop. It's also an investment in the future of laptop standards. Hopefully

if enough people buy these initial SSDs, the price will come down faster,

and the capacity will go up faster.

I'm just trying to make it easier for you to buy a 256 GB SSD in your MBA in

the next 12 months or so.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    I wonder how many people click on the Amazon link in the story. Each computer bought through the link earns AppleInsider a $25 referral fee from Amazon.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I'm just trying to make it easier for you to buy a 256 GB SSD in your MBA in

the next 12 months or so.

Hey, that's cool. As long as you have a plan, its fine with me.

Keep buying though. I'm really going to want a terabyte SSD in my MacBookEther in 2 years.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tummy View Post

I wonder how many people click on the Amazon link in the story. Each computer bought through the link earns AppleInsider a $25 referral fee from Amazon.

Oh c'mon, AI, say it ain't so! Ads are understandable, but product placements in a story?

If true, this would violate basic journalistic standards?

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If true, this would violate basic journalistic standards?

I think "basic journalistic standards" have been stretched pretty thin already...

I remember trying to get a local paper to cover the grand opening of one of my stores. The reporter asked "do you advertise with us?" No story. Two weeks later, after we placed a quarter page add, we got a nice spread with pictures and interviews and all.

However, I would like a system where add links are a different color...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Yawn... The SSD offering for the MacBook Air is sooo last year.

I just purchased this, should come friday:

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/car...ct_match=exact

128GB SSD 2.5 disk, with tax only $3568
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

Its HDD based macbook air not SSD

they did mention SSD still need to wait a little longer

... Yeah, I really should reread things before making snippy comments.

I got confused because all the Air testing units were out to reviewers, filling up my feed. After days of "MacBook Air *PIX", I figured this new announcement was for the SSDs.

Where are the SSDs!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Funny. Macrumors say people are receiving them starting Thursday. Why would Appleinsider say Friday?

Seems like all these people are posting FEDEX tracking for Thursday. Could they all be wrong or is Appleinsider crazy?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Yawn... The SSD offering for the MacBook Air is sooo last year.

I just purchased this, should come friday:

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/car...ct_match=exact

128GB SSD 2.5 disk, with tax only $3568

If you actually ordered that, why?!