Where is the 16gig iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With all the software update for the iPhone Today, I have to ask:

I boggles my mind why Apple does not have a version of the iPhone with higher capacity than 8gig. The Touch has it, so why not the iPhone? Why is Apple holding it? I can't figure out why.

I hope the 16gig comes as a quiet announcement when they release the SDK in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have a feeling we'll see a media event in February to talk about the SDK, a 16GB iPhone, and maybe some new carrier announcements.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I boggles my mind why Apple does not have a version of the iPhone with higher capacity than 8gig. The Touch has it, so why not the iPhone? Why is Apple holding it? I can't figure out why.

I hope the 16gig comes as a quiet announcement when they release the SDK in February.

The current phone has not been out long enough! I was one of the original and got mine on the first day and as long as they are giving us updates am a happy camper. Christmas was a great success for the iPhone and can you imagine what they would think if a new one comes out now. Apple has already made a big mistake when the price dropped by $200 and a new phone now would turn many potential customer away..... no where in all the reading I have thought a new phone would be offered today.

• Reply 3 of 39
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The iPod touch has it to make up for the fact that it isn't a phone.

Can you imagine the squealing that would happen if all those people who bought the 8GB phone for the holidays heard that it was now 16 GB?? LOL that would be another thread to watch... they would all be calling for a class-action suit.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whm View Post

The current phone has not been out long enough! I was one of the original and got mine on the first day and as long as they are giving us updates am a happy camper. Christmas was a great success for the iPhone and can you imagine what they would think if a new one comes out now. Apple has already made a big mistake when the price dropped by $200 and a new phone now would turn many potential customer away..... no where in all the reading I have thought a new phone would be offered today.

I am not asking for a new iPhone, just an increase in storage.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Can you imagine the squealing that would happen if all those people who bought the 8GB phone for the holidays heard that it was now 16 GB??

It would not be a big deal if Apple charges $499 for the 16gig and keep the $399 for 8gig
  • Reply 6 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I am not asking for a new iPhone, just an increase in storage.

Apple will probably announce a 3G iPhone when they do update it. I hope it's when the SDK is ready.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple will probably announce a 3G iPhone when they do update it. I hope it's when the SDK is ready.

I hope you are right. So that means sometime in February.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I hope you are right. So that means sometime in February.

I'm hoping not suggesting.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Well by then, 16 gig will be mainstream and 32 or 64 will be up and coming. I bought a 16 gig thumb drive for $140 from eBay, brand new. That was 4 months ago, so who knows what's going to be readily available a few months down the road.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah Feb, but the fact that there was no mention means Apple might wait until May to bring to market the new 3G - 16GB version. We all know how Apple loves to make a splash, this would do that for them.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    One thing that Apple will have to deal with is the lead time needed for FCC approval of the device while not cannibalizing current iPhone sales. They'll almost HAVE to release the 16GB phone only as a 3G version so that customers can either choose the smaller slower phone for less money or the faster, bigger phone for more.

Announcing an iPhone that's the same as today's except for an extra 8GB of storage will make so many more people wait.

Announcing a bigger, faster and more expensive iPhone will give people the option to choose whether they are willing to wait to pay more for an altogether better device. I think a lot of people would say, "eh, I'll just buy one now and pay less. I'm fine with EDGE and 8GB."
  • Reply 12 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Feb?

i guess entire iPod, iPod touch and iPhone will get something soon (i wish before WWDC; wwdc is long way to go)
  • Reply 13 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

The iPod touch has it to make up for the fact that it isn't a phone.

Can you imagine the squealing that would happen if all those people who bought the 8GB phone for the holidays heard that it was now 16 GB?? LOL that would be another thread to watch... they would all be calling for a class-action suit.

Yep, that will be negative publicity for apple

i think this one of the reason for not upgrading 16 Gb striaght with out 3G.

the next iPhone upgrade will be with 3G and some storage increase. (whatever time it takes)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

It would not be a big deal if Apple charges $499 for the 16gig and keep the $399 for 8gig

Because with the now infamous $200 price cut, they set their ceiling for the iPhone, and I think it's very doubtful they'll go above it. If they did, it would have be features much more significant than a storage bump.

I'm going to stick with my original prediction.

Storage bump sometime between February and May.

A small chance of 3G as early as May, but much more likely not until September/October.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

IMO you won't see a 16GB iPhone until you see a 32Gb Touch, and that just won't happen any time before september.

yes its "possible" that there could be an update to the iPhone capacity in June, 1 year after its launch, June might just become "iPhone month" to help give Apple a mid year cash boost (like they need it) but I strongly believe that the iPhone fits into the category of an "Apple Phone with low end nano capacity" 4GB for music/video with 4 GB for Apps. thats why there was the 4GB iPhone at launch.

as to the whole 3G/GPS thing.

That won't happen either, watch the keynote, Steve is pretty stoked with the work that Skyhook and Google have done logging all those WiFi hotspots,, he's pretty stoked that Apple can use that work to make a product that apple sells "magical" I'm sure the cell triangulation costs nothing, but Apple will be paying a usage fee for the Skyhook info. and those are a LOT less costly options than running a GPS, but also mean that 3G isn't REALLY needed either.

Do we REALLY need another debate on 3G not being everywhere? when it IS, then I can see Apple moving to it, until then NOPE.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My expectation is that both the iPhone and the Touch get some sort of update at the time the SDK is delivered. There are a couple of reasons for this.

The first one is that the Flash on these devices is currently partitioned so that there is only modest space for Applications. Thus for an average user to be able to install more than a trivial amount of third party apps a larger applications partition is needed.

Second more applications mean more data which of course means less space for media. Due to th expansion of data on these devices more room is needed to maintian the devices usefulness as a media player.

Third the expansion of downloadable and rentable shows means a greater need for storage both temp and long term. In other words Apple needs higher capacities in these devices simply to drive sales of its other efforts. Which by the way is why I'm still expecting a larger Touch real soon now. A larger touch is simply needed to make available the higher quality media in a portable device.

So in a nut shell I expect to see higher capacity devices very much in the short term. Too many things at Apple are converging where these modest devices won't provide adequate support. Of Course I could be wrong as Apple has clearly shown at MWSF that they have lost touch a bit.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 39
    [QUOTE=gugy;1199196]With all the software update for the iPhone Today, I have to ask:

You know Apple wouldn't offer 16Gs or more too soon because a revolt would ensue. People wouldn't like to think their new gadget became obsolete too fast. Apple doesn't believe in expandabilty or ungradabity. I guess an industry standard internal memory slot may not be so good for business.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    What !?? Are you joking ?

It's a freakin' mobile phone , not your dishwashing-kidswatching-vectoranalysing-tvset .

There is already something called iPod Touch you might notice in 16 GB .
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Plus, when the 16gig iPhone comes out, that won't make the 8 gig obselete. It will still work for a long time.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    [QUOTE=Open-it-up;1207924]
    Quote:

You know Apple wouldn't offer 16Gs or more too soon because a revolt would ensue. People wouldn't like to think their new gadget became obsolete too fast.

In my opinion these people are lame and don't deserve to own gadgets. I just bought an 8 GB iPhone and I'd be thrilled to see Apple release a 16GB iPhone tomorrow.