Macbook Pro Update!?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some OEMs are advertising Penryn-based notebooks are for pre-roder sale for delivery in the first week of Februray. I still hold that it will be another 4 weeks before any upgraded MBPs hit so MBA can have several weeks to git the ground running.

Here is what we can expect from Penryn MBPs assuming that Apple keeps the same pricepoint.
    $316

? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $1,999)

$530

? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,499)
    I can't find accurate prices for the chips below so I can't be certain that the Penryn listed is the successor to the Satna Rosa listed.
    ? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,749)

You're probably right. But how will Apple justify the $500 differrence between the entry level MBP and the upgraded version? That's a lot of money for 100 mhz.

I wonder if the upgraded version ($2499) will come with 4gbs of RAM?
  • Reply 82 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You're probably right. But how will Apple justify the $500 differrence between the entry level MBP and the upgraded version? That's a lot of money for 100 mhz.

I wonder if the upgraded version ($2499) will come with 4gbs of RAM?

There are some other differences between the those two models (in bold):
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 resolution

2GB memory

120GB hard drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

$1,999.00

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 resolution

2GB memory

160GB hard drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

$2,499
    With the price of RAM lowing I wonder if Apple keep with a 2GB starting point or just upgrade it to 4GB. Since 2GB is plenty for most people and there is no mobile RAM at 8GB I think I Apple will keep 2GB as the standard build for, at least, the basic MBP.

I don't know a damn thing about VGCs so I don't know if those would updated, but the HDD capacity will surely be increased. There will be no SSD option!. If the cost is low enough perhaps we'll see a default LED backlit displays and/or higher res displays across the board.

The high res option on the 17" MBP is an additional $100. The upgrade from the default 160GB HDD @5400RPM to a 250GB HDD @ 5400 is an additional $150. Apple sells 4GB of 667MHz RAM for an additional $700 over the 2GB RAM. However, OWC sells 2GBx2 sets between $100-200. So it seems that any combination of these could be upgraded to offset any reduction in cost or manufacturing. Also, sense they are most likely going to use the same case design and MoBo, the R&D costs per unit are once again reduced. Also also, the effects of the recession may push Apple to entice buyers with a few extra alterations than normal. (speculation)
  • Reply 83 of 105
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with most of your ideas except the thinness. I think the MBP and MB will stay the same in thickness. If they get any thinner then they begin to encroach on the MBA turf.

The only reason to get the MBA (vs a MB or MBP) is for the form factor, ie thinness and weight. I think Apple will keep the same dimensions and weights of the current MBP and MB so as to keep product differentiation.

Well you have a point but also consider that the MBA has a smaller footprint than the 15" MBP, another selling point for the MBA. And add to that Apple's desire to go thin on everything. Remember when the 1st generation iMac G5 came out? It was already thin. But the second generation with built-in iSight went further, and there was no real reason for this. People weren't clamoring for a thinner desktop computer. Now the MBP, there is plenty of practical reason to go thinner and there is enough room to not encroach on the MBA. This is simply my opinion.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Some OEMs are advertising Penryn-based notebooks are for pre-roder sale for delivery in the first week of Februray. I still hold that it will be another 4 weeks before any upgraded MBPs hit so MBA can have several weeks to git the ground running.

Here is what we can expect from Penryn MBPs assuming that Apple keeps the same pricepoint.
    $316

? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $1,999)

$530

? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,499)
    I can't find accurate prices for the chips below so I can't be certain that the Penryn listed is the successor to the Satna Rosa listed.
    ? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,749)

Nice try, but from Intel's price list, here how it goes:

? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $241

? T8300 "Penryn" (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $241

? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $316

? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $316

? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $530

? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $530

? X7900 "Santa Rosa" (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $851

? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $851

I believe that the X series are still not suited for the MBP (too hot) so they may be reserved for the 24" iMac only (but why not the 20" model?).

In the low end, there's the question of 2.20GHz/4MB cache vs. 2.40GHz/3MB of cache, which is better?

But IMO, the refresh will be:

$1999 15" MBP from 2.20 to 2.40GHz

$2499 15" MBP from 2.40 to 2.50GHz + better graphics and bigger HDD

$2799 17" MBP from 2.40 to 2.50GHz + better graphics and bigger HDD

with still the 2.60GHz option for $250

Or: let go of the differences in GPU and HDD and offer only 2.40 and 2.60GHz CPUs

$1999 15" MBP from 2.20 to 2.40GHz

$2499 15" MBP from 2.40 to 2.60GHz

$2799 17" MBP from 2.40 to 2.60GHz

Same graphics (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM or better) and 160GB HDD (or better).
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Nice try, but from Intel's price list, here how it goes:

? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $241

? T8300 "Penryn" (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $241

? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $316

? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $316

? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $530

? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $530

? X7900 "Santa Rosa" (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm) $851

? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm) $851

Thank You! I looked but couldn't find that list. I ended up getting my prices from Apple Insider articles. Having the intel page as a reference now, I agree 100% with the upgrade from Santa Rosa to Penryn you list.
  • Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

When Montevina ships the next processor revision with new enhancements will be few months away. Since Core Duo was introduced Intel makes out-of -phase upgrades for the processor and the chipset, each bringing the performance up and power down. It will be an endless loop if Apple waits for both updates.

Shadow, thank you for that useful snippet of info. I'm sure you're right, but Montevina is reputed to be such a leap forward that releasing any upgrade now could be redundant when Montevina debuts in May. Let's face it, that is barely 12 weeks away. If that is the case, then Apple may only upgrade the MBP's chip now and not the outer casing design.

This gives us three possble new MBP scanarios:

1. February refresh to MBP limited to new Penryn chip only with full design upgrade in 6 months time.

2. May refresh with full design upgrade and further refresh 6 months later in time for Christmas

3. February full design upgrade but without Montevina and Montevina upgrade in September
  • Reply 87 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Shadow, thank you for that useful snippet of info. I'm sure you're right, but Montevina is reputed to be such a leap forward that releasing any upgrade now could be redundant when Montevina debuts in May. Let's face it, that is barely 12 weeks away. If that is the case, then Apple may only upgrade the MBP's chip now and not the outer casing design.

1. February refresh to MBP limited to new Penryn chip only with full design upgrade in 6 months time.

2. May refresh with full design upgrade and further refresh 6 months later in time for Christmas

3. February full design upgrade but without Montevina and Montevina upgrade in September

I'd wager money on #1, with a possibility of a new trackpad for the current MBP.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    I also agree with #1
  • Reply 89 of 105
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    ditto
  • Reply 90 of 105
    Well no updated graphics card and I'll be stuck with a windows (well until I nuke it) laptop
  • Reply 91 of 105
    I'm in the market for an updated entry-level MBP, below are minimum and recommended specs:

Minimum:

2.4 Penryn

256mb NVIDIA 8600M GT

Updated (fixed) drivers that allow Second Life to run well

Recommended:

2.5 Penryn

256mb ATI HD 3600

160gb HDD

Drivers that allow Second Life to run well
  • Reply 92 of 105
    I really want this update to happen soon but I feel it will not be while 'cause the MBA has not even been in the stores yet. I think they finally come out tomorrow, but a few weeks I think is still too soon for the update.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    and i think the whole waiting thing suxxxxxxxxx big time now.

i want to buy the "penryn updated MBP" .. but they are going to update it ONCE AGAIN a week after i can no more buy it from USA ..

why didn't they get them out with the damned MBAir- there's nothing like "steeling from the Air's charm" thing .. they are completely different products ..
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Then you would think Apple would want the new MBP out ASAP so as not to have people saying that they will just wait 2 more months for Montevina and maybe even a new case.

JMHO but would like others,

Jay
  • Reply 95 of 105
    I have been thinking about this for some time.

I think we will not see a revised MBP just yet. The MBA is only just beginning to ship. it needs time to gain a market toe-hold. So why revise the MBP now? Why not wait another 12 weeks?

Consumers are nervous right now. Purchases of big ticket items are slow. The markets continue to be uncertain. Most of the new Penryn-based PCs aren't that much of a leap forward. Maybe now isn't a good time to release another new model.

Remember, Apple only just added the 2.6 Ghz processor to the MBP line-up. Maybe that buys them some extra time?
  • Reply 96 of 105
    1. Keeping in mind that Apple has established a “Very Special Relationship” with Intel. Apple always gets first dibs on the Xeon processors for the MacPro line.. while everyone else, gets them a bit later..

2. Is it possible for Intel to release Montevina to apple in late Feb? Special event in late Feb with shipping by March? You have to remember that they did re-engineer the Penryan for the Air? They could deliver Montevina early as well.. “Apple Exclusive”?

3. If 2 is true, Could Apple Completely skip Penryn on the MacBook Pro’s and use it for the MacBook and use Montevina on the MacBook Pro’s.

Love your feedback..
  • Reply 97 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoomstop View Post

1. Keeping in mind that Apple has established a ?Very Special Relationship? with Intel. Apple always gets first dibs on the Xeon processors for the MacPro line.. while everyone else, gets them a bit later..

2. Is it possible for Intel to release Montevina to apple in late Feb? Special event in late Feb with shipping by March? You have to remember that they did re-engineer the Penryan for the Air? They could deliver Montevina early as well.. ?Apple Exclusive??

3. If 2 is true, Could Apple Completely skip Penryn on the MacBook Pro?s and use it for the MacBook and use Montevina on the MacBook Pro?s.

Love your feedback..

1) I don't think the Montevina will be ready for production that soon

2) The MBA uses a 65nm Merom on a smaller die.

3) Intel didn'te really create this specifically for Apple, but may have put it into production for Apple.

? http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3201&p=2
  • Reply 98 of 105
    Quote:

1) I don't think the Montevina will be ready for production that soon

2) The MBA uses a 65nm Merom on a smaller die.

3) Intel didn'te really create this specifically for Apple, but may have put it into production for Apple.

? http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3201&p=2

# 3 Makes sense reading the excerpt from Intel below. Intel benefits by displaying what is going to be possible in terms of design with the upcoming Montevina and Apple by starting ahead in this¨"sub-notebook" trend. With a 40% reduction in size we may expect other manufacturers going MacBook Pro thin.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...070417supp.htm

Future Mobile Roadmap for Notebooks - Perlmutter outlined the Intel mobile technology roadmap that follows the upcoming Santa Rosa launch.

In the first half of 2008, Santa Rosa will be refreshed with the 45nm Hi-k Intel dual core mobile processor, codenamed "Penryn."

Later in 2008, Intel will deliver "Montevina" processor technology, also with the 45nm Hi-k Intel dual core mobile processor. This will be Intel's first Centrino processor technology for notebooks to offer the option of integrated Wi-Fi and WiMAX wireless technologies for greater wireless broadband access. With approximately 40 percent smaller components, Montevina will be ideal for mini- and sub-notebooks, and will include integrated hardware decode for high-definition video.
  • Reply 99 of 105
    I need/want to buy a laptop. I don't care who, what, when, or why... but how I can get my hands on one at this point. I really hope my waiting is going to be worth it, that it really is very close. I can't wait a month
  • Reply 100 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

I can't wait a month

Sorry you are in line behind those of us that cannot wait another week