Adding Digital Converter to Apple TV Box

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I saw a interesting video on TheStreet.com come today by Gary Krakow (http://www.thestreet.com/_dm/video/i..._ite=#10400794).

He suggested that Apple make a change to their Apple TV box that would also give it digital converter capability. Apple should take his advice. This is a great idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    And who will use it? Remember most of the people watching TV are on cable or satellite. In which case they already have a converter, receiver/tuner and guide and don't need a redundant box that doesn't connect as well to their signal source.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    If the AppleTV needs anything, its a Firewire/1394 interface to be able to record out of the set top boxes. But since most cable/satellite services offer DVR set top boxes already, there really isn't a market. Its probably not worth the grief it would cause.

I know on my main TV I have three inputs; the Cox DVR, the Wii, and the AppleTV. When I need DVR or OTA content I already have it, I don't need a redundant input that Cox, etc. probably wouldn't "play nice" with. Honestly, I don't think Krakow has much experience fighting with built-in tuners and the CableCard card interface, if he had he'd know what a quagmire that technology became in the hands of the cable companies...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If the AppleTV needs anything, its a Firewire/1394 interface to be able to record out of the set top boxes. But since most cable/satellite services offer DVR set top boxes already, there really isn't a market. Its probably not worth the grief it would cause.

Don't forget that Hollywood is fighting content recording every step of the way, especially in regards to HD. Wasn't DishNetwork sued a while back because they were moving content from their DVR to their PocketDish?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It doesn't need an ATSC tuner; it needs IPTV support.