Quick question about Safari...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
(if this should be in Genius Bar, I apologize in advance...)

Everytime I launch Safari (or simply click on it in the Dock to bring up a new page), it's all over the place in terms of where the window might wind up.

Explorer seemed to, from session to session, keep its window location AND size memorized. I'm forever launching (or opening a new site or window) in Safari and having to twiddle with it (it'll hang out 3 inches off to the right side, or flot in the middle of the page, with the bottom part down behind the Dock, etc.).

Is this just simply typical "beta release" things or am I doing something wrong or weird (wouldn't be the first time...).

Moreover, is this worth providing feedback to Apple about?

Anyone else kinda mildly annoyed by this?

If its just expected, beta-level quirkiness, just tell me and I won't bring it up again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i rememeber having seen some other people ranting about it as well... [but don't know, when i don't use Chimera i'm in iCab, didn't like Safari so much..]
  • Reply 2 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I've heard of this problem, but haven't experienced it myself. My one suggestion would be to delete Safari's preference file and see if that fixes it. You're running the January 10th release (v51), yes?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've got the problem and nothing I do seems to fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I've got the problem and nothing I do seems to fix it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also have the problem... I don't have a fix either. Something just tells me it's a beta thing...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I've heard about this issue but don't experience it on 3 macs.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I have the problem, but have found if i quit the browser with window taking full screen it opens off to the right of my screen on re-opening. One simple click on maximize for me put's it in proper place from there.

It's a pain, but better than dragging the window everytime and re-alligning it. I'm sure it will be fixed in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    There's a program called "Full Screen Safari" that will keep safari (and you, for that matter) from putting windows below the dock, and all new windows will open taking up 100% of the screen space above the dock.

Works great for me.

Get it here: <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17787&db=mac"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17787&db=mac</a>;
  • Reply 8 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I found it only occurred if the window was a certain size or larger. When I use smaller sized windows it tends to stay still. Larger ones open roughly a cm or so to the right.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I found it happened on my 1024x768 Pismo but not on my SuperBook. Perhaps depends on display size?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Happens on my G4 too.. My res is 1280x1024, with my Safari-windows approx 1000x850 large..
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>I found it only occurred if the window was a certain size or larger. When I use smaller sized windows it tends to stay still. Larger ones open roughly a cm or so to the right.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I noticed that, too. I keep my Safari window at a size about 70-75% of the screen. If I make the window much larger, new windows pop up all over the place.