MacBook Pro AIR

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    The ones that compare to the MBP 15" are the Asus G1S, Dell's XPS M1530 and Lenovo's T61.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

The ones that compare to the MBP 15" are the Asus G1S, Dell's XPS M1530 and Lenovo's T61.

For me, those machines don't compare to the MacBook Pro, especially the Asus.

The Asus is 73 % (!) bigger than the MacBook Pro (233.52 cubic inches Vs. 135.36 cubic inches) and 26 % heavier (3.08 kg Vs. 2.45 kg).

I was quite surprised by the Dell, it seems that they've made strides with their laptop designs. However, whilst it's more compact and lighter than I expected, it still doesn't compare to the MacBook Pro: 24 % bigger and 7 % heavier. Of note is that the only screen resolution available on that Dell is 1280 x 800, the same as the MacBook 13.3" - so those extra screen inches aren't getting you anything except a bigger, heavier laptop.

The Lenovo is 35 % bigger and 9 % heavier than the MacBook Pro. And it is seriously butt-ugly.

To me, the only things that the Asus and Lenovo have over the MacBook Pro are the higher-res. screens. Hopefully with the next refresh Apple will start to offer an option for a higher resolution on the 15.4" screen version, just as they currently do for the 17".

Yes, the MacBook Pro is more expensive than all these machines. But there is a clear justification for that - you get a significantly sleeker and lighter machine.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    That doesn't make the comparison invalid. The fact that they all use the same sized display (15.4"), all have 2.2/2.4 C2D CPUs and the Nvidia 8600GT GDDR3 make all of them alternatives to the MBP. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, just like everything else in life.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

That doesn't make the comparison invalid. The fact that they all use the same sized display (15.4"), all have 2.2/2.4 C2D CPUs and the Nvidia 8600GT GDDR3 make all of them alternatives to the MBP. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, just like everything else in life.

The original assertion by TonyD007 was that "You can get a PC Notebook with nearly identical specs to a Macbook Pro for much cheaper".

I was pointing out that for me and many others, size and weight are critical specs of a laptop, and therefore the machines you suggest do not "have nearly identical specs to a MacBook Pro".
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:

Thank you. This is what I'm talking about. I know that the Dell XPS does not compare to the Macbook Pro in many many ways, but I was trying to compare specs on "cheaper pc" machines so that I could "justify" buying a Mac replacement for my current Mac, an iBook G4, rather than buying a PC notebook.