Dont Unlock Your Phones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
apple deserves the money they put in and research theyeve put in to make this amazing phone. Owe it up to them, its messed up. plus you really dont want the software and sim card that apple built to work it. come on its illegal and wrong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I have an iPhone on AT&T and I haven't hacked it or anything, but your logic seems flawed... obviously Apple makes more on iPhones that are on AT&T, but aren't they actually making more money by people unlocking them as opposed to buying other phones to work on whatever other network they are on?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterjeter26 View Post

apple deserves the money they put in and research theyeve put in to make this amazing phone. Owe it up to them, its messed up. plus you really dont want the software and sim card that apple built to work it. come on its illegal and wrong.

99% of people who unlock their phones don't do it because they want to use a competitor in the US. They do it because they want to be able to swap SIM cards when they travel or because they live in a country where the iPhone is not sold. Has nothing to do with taking money from Apple.

On that note, please buy Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

get bent
  • Reply 4 of 10
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

I love my iPhone and I have not unlocked it, but I can't agree with you.

When a company sells something. That sale should be honest and transparent.

I don't want my car restricting the brand of gas I put in it.

I don't want my freezer telling me which supermarket to shop in.

If I own the device, I want to use it in the way I choose.

Lock-ins work against the interest of the consumer, and more importantly lock-ins stop free markets from operating properly. When consumers are free to change service providers, then something great happens. Service providers suddenly start competing on price and features.

I am not sure if it is illegal to unlock a phone. What law would that be? But the law should protect free markets. Its regrettable that companies prefer to bribe legislators than to actually compete fairly.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am not sure if it is illegal to unlock a phone. What law would that be?

It's not in the UK, and I don't believe it is in the USA either. I think there was an exemption from the DMCA about it.

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Of the 20 people I know that have iPhones, 7 have unlocked them. All still are on AT&T. They just want or need them to do more than Apple is letting them at this time. They will also keep them unlocked depending on how Apple lets them add apps in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 10
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

Of the 20 people I know that have iPhones, 7 have unlocked them. All still are on AT&T. They just want or need them to do more than Apple is letting them at this time. They will also keep them unlocked depending on how Apple lets them add apps in the future.

I think you are confusing unlocking and jailbreaking. IMHO it would be stupid to unlock your iPhone if you are already an AT&T subscriber.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

get bent

Well said!

It's anti-competitive to stop people who are spending that much on a mobile and then forcing them to use a particular network so they can get a bigger slice of the action

Sounds like something MS would do
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

I think you are confusing unlocking and jailbreaking. IMHO it would be stupid to unlock your iPhone if you are already an AT&T subscriber.

Yes, I agree with you...Jailbreak and Unlock are two different terms but they are both usually confused. Jailbreaking allows a user to install third party applications, software, themes and removes the limitations that are on the apple device. In short it gives the user the root access to iOS whereas unlocking means the user can switch between network carriers.I used Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak and the remote unlock service from Mobile-unlocker.com to permanently unlock my iPhone.