Mac Pro + 42" plasma

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How well would the Mac Pro power a 42" plasma TV with the 8800GT? As others have said...SLI would be nice, but that doesn't seem an option at the current time. Just wondering how well the single card would be able to power a display that size...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    More information: the TV is a Panasonic TH-42PC77U.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The video card will power it just fine... though you'll need a DVI->HDMI cable.

However, the TV has a native resolution of 1024x768. (technically, not even 720p HD, which would be 1280x720.) That's according to Panasonic's web-site.

While it will look good playing video content in full-screen, it's gonna look less than impressive as a computer display.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You know... I've been wondering a bit about this myself.

First, the Mac will handle the display without a hitch. It wouldn't even break a sweat powering it, let alone a Mac Pro with an 8800 GT. That thing could power the plasma television in its sleep whilst simultaneously fighting off three wild tigers.

And as mentioned above, a DVI->HDMI adapter is all you need.

That said, the key concern here is Plasma Television. Plasma Televisions were once famous for burn-in issues, and they still have to deal with a degree of burn-in today. I have a top-of-the-line Panasonic 1080p plasma television myself and it regularly has a degree of temporary burin-in (e.g. the logo of my DVD player) but as soon as I do something else on it the 'burn-in' is refreshed.

I've been thinking about hooking my old Mac Mini up to it as a media center computer, but using a computer on the plasma television introduces exactly the problem that causes burn-in in the first place: constant unchanging picture elements (your dock, menus, etc.). I wonder what it would take to cause a problem with a modern-day plasma television? I know this would be a terrible idea with the older ones, but they have come a long way.

I know a lot of A/V professionals, and other folks who work in high-end A/V stores, but they haven't been of much help. I've found that they tend to be very cautious (exceedingly so) in light of older worries, and they tend to worry excessively about burn-in. I've also found they tend to buy into a lot of the stuff they are taught, and what they tell customers (e.g. trying to convince you that a high-end monster HDMI cable is needed to get a perfect picture on your 1080p?it isn't).

So color me curious.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

You know... I've been wondering a bit about this myself.

First, the Mac will handle the display without a hitch. It wouldn't even break a sweat powering it, let alone a Mac Pro with an 8800 GT. That thing could power the plasma television in its sleep whilst simultaneously fighting off three wild tigers.

And as mentioned above, a DVI->HDMI adapter is all you need.

That said, the key concern here is Plasma Television. Plasma Televisions were once famous for burn-in issues, and they still have to deal with a degree of burn-in today. I have a top-of-the-line Panasonic 1080p plasma television myself and it regularly has a degree of temporary burin-in (e.g. the logo of my DVD player) but as soon as I do something else on it the 'burn-in' is refreshed.

I've been thinking about hooking my old Mac Mini up to it as a media center computer, but using a computer on the plasma television introduces exactly the problem that causes burn-in in the first place: constant unchanging picture elements (your dock, menus, etc.). I wonder what it would take to cause a problem with a modern-day plasma television? I know this would be a terrible idea with the older ones, but they have come a long way.

I know a lot of A/V professionals, and other folks who work in high-end A/V stores, but they haven't been of much help. I've found that they tend to be very cautious (exceedingly so) in light of older worries, and they tend to worry excessively about burn-in. I've also found they tend to buy into a lot of the stuff they are taught, and what they tell customers (e.g. trying to convince you that a high-end monster HDMI cable is needed to get a perfect picture on your 1080p?it isn't).

So color me curious.

I believe some of the newer Panasonic plasmas (at least) have "pixel shifting technology" which supposedly prevents burn-ins...I guess we'll see.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I had an older Panasonic plasma that I found very resistant to burn-in, especially if switched to standard instead of dynamic, and I have a new Full HD one that I have to say I've found nigh on impossible to burn. The new Panasonic's really are tough to burn, it has really surprised me. I left a DVD menu stagnant on it overnight when I fell asleep by accident and it didn't leave a trace.

That said I would never buy any plasma other than Panasonic or Pioneer. I have come across too many problems with the others.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yeah, as far as Panasonic goes, it came with the highest recommendation almost everywhere I looked. Even as I was reading more now about the 'pixel wobbling' technology (which my plasma apparently has) people continued to rave about Panasonic's plasma products. This is my first HDTV so I don't have a great basis for comparison, but it definitely is a solid product.

As far as burn in goes when an image is 'burned in' to my screen it remains until I do something else, and that is about it. The bright pink/red Pioneer logo on my DVD player loves to do this. It will remain even when I turn it back on the next day (after the logo showing), but as soon as the pixels are displaying anything but black for a few moments it is completely gone.

Reading more about modern-day burn-in it is supposed to be best associated with long-term exposure to exactly the same form of colors (e.g. 4:3 regularly and consistently for years). The pixels which display color 'age' and those that display black do not, resulting in color variance. I don't know anything about this first hand, though.

I guess I shouldn't be worrying much about using the computer on the plasma television because it would just be one of numerous activities and it wouldn't be displayed regularly. Based on what I'm reading, at least, I would be somewhat concerned if it was to be on all the time. That would be a reason to use LCD.