Apple release software updates for iWork '08

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    So is iWork any Snappier? now?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Yes, obligatory "It's TehSnappier™" post here.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

When on Janury 15, he said updates in 2 weeks.

He never said anything about 10.5.2 in his Keynote. He did mention that the Apple TV software update would be coming "in two weeks." Technically, that was today, but he could easily have meant anywhere from this past Sunday until Friday. If you don't see the update by Friday afternoon, then you have a reason to complain.

They were demoing the update on the Macworld show floor, so it must have been pretty close to finished. But you never know. They may have encountered some last minute bug that needs to be worked out. I'd rather they got it right than let it out of the gate unfinished.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herrdoktor View Post

Well, I'm glad they're fixing compatibility issues ... with the only operating system it actually runs on.

Obviously they are referring to compatibility issues with Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

h so what OS was the old one compatible with?

Tiger
  • Reply 25 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Obviously they are referring to compatibility issues with Leopard.

Even more specifically, perhaps they needed to make it compatible with the very large 10.5.2 update that is pending.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    You guys would make great biblical literalists. SJ says "two weeks" (which is a rather vague reference, really) and you took that as a promise of exactly 14 days, probably to the hour?

Surely you know the industry well enough to know that "two weeks" is "in about two weeks, give or take a little." Patience. :-)
  • Reply 27 of 41
    So I start up "Numbers" and Apple says there is an update available. I click on update and Apple informs me that my version 1.0.1 is the latest and no update is available. So forgive me, but I don't understand. What is this update, 1.0.2 supposed to be for?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

I'd love it if Pages handled bulleted and numbered lists better.

Try to create a numbered list with an empty line in between each item. You have manually check "Number continuously" in the inspector each and every time you create a new item to maintain the proper order (or else everything is designated '1'. OR write a huge monoparagraph, then insert line breaks, then manually uncheck the "Numbered List" in the inspector for each of the empty lines.

Actually, you can turn off a bullet for one line much easier. Just hold down shift when you hit return and the bullet skips that line, hit return again and it is there. I don't know how you were expected to know this, but once you do it makes Pages bearable for lists.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Keynote update does seem to fix one thing for me that was a pain. Exporting a slideshow as h.264 constantly failed. The resultant movie file was forever sticking at random points. Very annoying. This seems to have fixed it - at least on the test I performed.

First Post!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shippster View Post

Actually, you can turn off a bullet for one line much easier. Just hold down shift when you hit return and the bullet skips that line, hit return again and it is there. I don't know how you were expected to know this, but once you do it makes Pages bearable for lists.

That's a great tip, thanks!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herrdoktor View Post

Well, I'm glad they're fixing compatibility issues ... with the only operating system it actually runs on.

I'm sure they meant Leopard-compatibility issues. A lot of developers have been late with their Leopard versions because they said that Apple wasn't giving them complete information in the pre-release days and that they made some last-minute changes.

That's probably what happened with the people that develop iWork. Who are they again? Oh, wait, . . . never mind
  • Reply 32 of 41
    and in Pages it is STILL impossible to search for ' or ?, like for example "hasn't" or "doesn't". That is terrible. What is apple thinking!???
  • Reply 33 of 41
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Uh so what OS was the old one compatible with?

The language "improves comatability with OSX" is indeed amusing but may be referring to 10.5.2 in advance of its release. Otherwise based on past AppleSpeak, one might have expected "resolves performance issues" or somesuch......
  • Reply 34 of 41
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

So I start up "Numbers" and Apple says there is an update available. I click on update and Apple informs me that my version 1.0.1 is the latest and no update is available. So forgive me, but I don't understand. What is this update, 1.0.2 supposed to be for?

I had the same problem, make sure the application is in a folder named "iWork '08" in the applications folder.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Has anyone found a way to do text to columns in pages yet?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I had the same problem, make sure the application is in a folder named "iWork '08" in the applications folder.

Thanks. This works. I have a habit of taking individual apps out of their folders and moving the empty files to the thrash. Won't do it again.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Has anyone found a way to do text to columns in pages yet?

First of all, the help menu in pages has several entries on columns.

In iWork 08 there is a button on the formatting bar that sets columns; it appears right after the line spacing adjustment and before the list button.

In both iWork 06 and 08 you can also use the inspector. Click that blue circle with an "i" in the toolbar and the second tab is dedicated to columns. That is where you can change the spacing on them.

Also, if you are working with text boxes you will see little blue arrows on the right side near the bottom of the text box. Click it and it will allow you to connect to another text box so the text that is too long for the first one flows into the second text box. You can use this to create columns with different heights, just for more of a page layout style. (This one may be iWork 08 only - I can't remember).
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Yeah I saw all that but what I am talking about is a specific feature that allows you to take a block of text, paste it in a spreadsheet and then have it separate the data into individual columns using delimiters. This is very useful for me and is something I use daily. I routinely have to copy a page worth of reporting data from a web page and send it out in a spreadsheet along with removing several of the columns which are confidential info.

I do thank you for your tip but from your reply it seems as if you are not actually familiar with the "text to columns" feature of Excel.

When iWork came out several months ago I was all over the Apple forums checking into it and there were many posts about this one feature not being included, I was hoping it might have been in a later release.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

. . . what I am talking about is a specific feature that allows you to take a block of text, paste it in a spreadsheet and then have it separate the data into individual columns using delimiters. This is very useful for me and is something I use daily. . . .

Oh, sorry I didn't get what you were asking. You are right that I have never used the Text to Column feature.

In your post you said it was a feature of Pages you were looking for. Is that because you activate it from Word and import it into excel, or do you just copy from the report into excel and start the conversion there?

I ask not because I think I can solve your problem, but because it does sound very useful and I would like to know for my own use.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Its something that you start right in Excel. I will do a copy all from the reporting page on our site and its basically a bunch of text with each row containing various different pieces of information. To put that into a graph or spreadsheet I just open excel and paste the entire block of text, however being that it is just a block of text it puts it all in column A of the spreadsheet.

You then hit DATA > Text to Columns and follow the pop up dialogs asking you about delimiters like : ; , SPACE etc and you can even have it so that it combines successive delimiters into one column so you dont have a ton of empty columns.

Once you are done and hit finish it will separate each piece of info between each delimiter into its own column for the entire spread sheet.

i.e. if you have a list like this it will make it look like I show below.

Column A

first name, last name, date, time

output will be...

Column A | Column B | Column C | Column D

first name | last name | date | time