Apple's MacBook Air support docs reveal one-of-a-kind solutions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe someone with more than passing knowledge about PC would expect that, I know I saw a whole hornets nest of issues with the AIR and have been saying so since. The problem is not everybody has the background to evaluate something on technical terms and are often lead astray by Apple marketing. In this case it wouldn't have been to difficult for Apple to be up front with respect to the performance limitations of the product. In the end it would prevent the coming lawsuits that some idiot will use to make up for his ignorance.

The AIR biggest problem is that it is a bundle of compromises and as such one needs to be careful when buying as there is a high likely hood it might not meet your needs. It is not a single compromise that is the trouble causer here but rather the sum total of all the limitations. $1700 is a lot of money to throw out for something so marginal.

Dave

Where's the substance? What insight beyond what is currently being discussed does a PC-related background give a person? nagromme's reply, in my eyes, was comprehensive and extremely well written. I especially love the part about people with old computers criticizing the MBA's ability to do the things they currently due do its 'poor specifications'.

I am a graphics and web designer and, unhappy with the progression of the Mac Pro (waiting for the magic release), and needing to upgrade from my old PowerMac tower, I decided to get the Mac Mini. When it came out I was astonished to see a dual-core processor and a decent FSB speed inside such a small and affordable computer. I maxed out the RAM and purchased a LaCie add-on for extra hard drive space, speed, and ports. It has served me well (poor thing works to death with the integrated video) and it has served its purpose. I ordered myself an octo-core Mac Pro @3.2GHz just recently and that beast is going to serve me for many years.

The MacBook Air would thoroughly trounce the Mac Mini I'm using right now, and would even more thoroughly trounce the old PowerMac. I wonder how it would hold up against my Macbook with a Core Duo in it. Probably quite decently, I imagine. I've been able to get my work done on all of these computers, though, and for portable processing I do not need the level of power afforded by a Mac Pro, even in Photoshop, Illustrator, or any other similar program.

The MacBook Air would do that work very nicely. The size, though. That would be a very real concern! If you are lugging a computer around all day 3lbs can make a pretty huge difference, especially depending on your body. And now ditch my scenario and imagine the typical business user -- someone who uses their computer for productivity applications, email, and internet. The MacBook Air is sexy fast for this person and will remain every bit as fast for years and years down the road. For this person, always flinging their laptop around, always using it, there are far more important concerns than a spec sheet.

I love listening to all these power users talk about how much they dislike the MBA when it wasn't even made for them. It is made for a person who travels, doesn't need to do the sort of high-end rendering or scientific calculation that justifies a larger machine, and doesn't need a whole bunch of ports for different peripherals, and to them this release is a blessing.

Maybe people are actually upset that Santa didn't give them what they wanted?

A revised laptop lineup? New Macbooks? Macbook Pros?

:P

Back to you, Dave, elaborate on your view? What additional issues do they need to worry about?
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Apple produces it, Stevie Boy sells it, and the lemmings buy it.

No thinking different with this crowd.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Your first post Welcome! I'm sure the energy you spent registering will work wonders in convincing mobile Mac users that they have no need for a MacBook Air. Thanks for the insights.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    A lot of would-be MBA owners are currently making assumptions about how well or how bad it will perform and how much, or how little, trouble will be associated with its use. Eventually, it's all just assumptions. Let these people work with their new 1800$ (1930$ if you get the dongle and drive) toys for a month or two and we'll see what the problems really are.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Quote:

Lemming? Where? You?
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Your first post Welcome! I'm sure the energy you spent registering will work wonders in convincing mobile Mac users that they have no need for a MacBook Air. Thanks for the insights.

I could always just live online like some and be a serial apologist for Apple, however, I choose to do something unique to this particular thread. I think for myself. The MBA is nice but hardly revolutionary. At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility, no optical drive included, and did I mention extremely expensive (depends on the version). See I am not under the illusion that Apple is my friend and that Stevie Boy is my best drinking buddy. Apple is a corporation who's loyalty lies solely with the investors. Apple is not doing any of us favors for free. We consumers are a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anantksundaram and Wizard69 seem to have an understanding and are not easy prey for slick marketing. Apple never had to sell fluff to make a good product but it seems that they are taking the quick and easy route. Can you say M$?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

A lot of would-be MBA owners are currently making assumptions about how well or how bad it will perform and how much, or how little, trouble will be associated with its use. Eventually, it's all just assumptions. Let these people work with their new 1800$ (1930$ if you get the dongle and drive) toys for a month or two and we'll see what the problems really are.

Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 72
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Yes it's a toy alright and we'll be playing with our toy for a long time, too bad you ain't getting one.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Yes it's a toy alright and we'll be playing with our toy for a long time, too bad you ain't getting one.

My vote for most useless post of this thread, however I will defend your right to say it.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:

My vote for most useless post of this thread, however I will defend your right to say it.

And I vote for you being the most useless poster who created an account to complain about something he will never have, sounds like your jealous.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he was joking with inclusion of "black MacBook".

I know. I think I was in a crabb(pp)y mood.

• Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:

And I vote for you being the most useless poster who created an account to complain about something he will never have, sounds like your jealous.

I hope you mean this as an indication of my purchase preferences rather than a perceived indication of my financial status. See, I can pretty much buy whatever I desire. The difference between you and me is that have enough common sense to know the difference between following the crowd and thinking for myself. Once you gain this insight, then I might, just might have something to be jealous about. Until then you maintain your lemming status.

Now go back into your mom's basement and leave the thinking to the adults. I will admit, you are entertaining.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    There is nothing wrong with being a Lemming!!!

Blind devotion to a company that has consistently put out the best hardware on the market in the respective categories is Noble. Ever since Bill Gates "borrowed" the Windows design from Apple, Apple has been devoted to providing the highest quality products. As a result of their success and huge growth, they may have been too busy to provide the same quality we have used to in the past, but rest assured it will return. Obviously some of you bashers have never even tried an Apple product or put on a pair of jeans and a mock turtle!
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

There is nothing wrong with being a Lemming!!!

Blind devotion to a company that has consistently put out the best hardware on the market in the respective categories is Noble. Ever since Bill Gates "borrowed" the Windows design from Apple, Apple has been devoted to providing the highest quality products. As a result of their success and huge growth, they may have been too busy to provide the same quality we have used to in the past, but rest assured it will return. Obviously some of you bashers have never even tried an Apple product or put on a pair of jeans and a mock turtle!

Best post this thread. Funny as hell too.

I agree with you. Apple has consistently put out good products. Some great ones, and some outstanding ones. In my opinion as a multiple year, multiple product user, I think Apple bailed and went for the easy way, and are willing to market the hell out of an "Ok. Not revolutionary product" The MBA is evolutionary for sure. It is the way of things to come but to see this as market shaking, well..... far from it.

Mock turtle. Nice one dude.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

I hope you mean this as an indication of my purchase preferences rather than a perceived indication of my financial status. See, I can pretty much buy whatever I desire. The difference between you and me is that have enough common sense to know the difference between following the crowd and thinking for myself. Once you gain this insight, then I might, just might have something to be jealous about. Until then you maintain your lemming status.

Now go back into your mom's basement and leave the thinking to the adults. I will admit, you are entertaining.

Yes and I'm the one joining forums to bash one particular product.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Best post this thread. Funny as hell too.

I agree with you. Apple has consistently put out good products. Some great ones, and some outstanding ones. In my opinion as a multiple year, multiple product user, I think Apple bailed and went for the easy way, and are willing to market the hell out of an "Ok. Not revolutionary product" The MBA is evolutionary for sure. It is the way of things to come but to see this as market shaking, well..... far from it.

Mock turtle. Nice one dude.

Your parroting the same jibber jabber I've been reading since the MBA debuted. For example, your, "evolutionary, not revolutionary" comment. Did you seriously decide to post on this forum just to call anyone who fits the MBA demographic an Apple apologist? By the way, that is another oft repeated term by anti-Apple drones.

It escapes me why this product is being attacked so much just because it doesn't fit that person's needs. There is no UMPC or 17" greater notebook that will ever fit my needs but I'm not bashing them just because I'm not the target consumer for those products. So why all negativity and anger here?

Except for the ability to extend the battery life to 8 or more hours I am the perfect candidate for the MBA. I never use an optical drive, I only ever use WiFi, only ever use 1 USB port at a time, and all I need highly portable computer for watching videos and the of reading webpages while traveling. I'm okay with you not buying one, and you should try to be ok if others do.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:

Yes and I'm the one joining forums to bash one particular product.

One last go, and I defer the last word to you.

You see anyone that is not willing to run out and spend a couple thousand dollars on a crippled product as bashing Apple. The Marketing guys at Apple have to love people like you. No matter what they throw at the wall (i.e. people such as you) it will stick, and the Apple zealots will go forth and do the bidding of Lord Jobs. Well, I hate to tell you, the MBA is not innovative other than its size and this is something that other manufactures are in the process of developing (with some already having done so).

You lack of understanding in this area shows a complete lack of maturity or understand, but a willingness to throw your money down on anything Apple puts out. For this, I thank you as my share prices are doing much better. I say, BUY MORE APPLE. Anyway, I digress. Criticizing Apple is the only way that they will develop better products, better services, and evolve into a better company. As I said before, Apple is not your friend and Steve Jobs is not your buddy. He and Apple are only loyal to the investors, the bottom line and the dollar. Your satisfaction is simply a by-product of this. If you are happy goodie, if not, oh well. If it were up to you and your thought process the current bug that has surfaced in the iPhone would be considered a feature by your standards, but to normal folks this is something that Apple must fix, and due to public outcry, Apple acknowledged the bug and is in the process of fixing it. Would you consider these people bashers or disappointed customers?

Anyway, you can have the last word here in public, but if you wish to continue, please do so via PM.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your parroting the same jibber jabber I've been reading since the MBA debuted. For example, your, "evolutionary, not revolutionary" comment. Did you seriously decide to post on this forum just to call anyone who fits the MBA demographic an Apple apologist? By the way, that is another oft repeated term by anti-Apple drones.

It escapes me why this product is being attacked so much just because it doesn't fit that person's needs. There is no UMPC or 17" greater notebook that will ever fit my needs but I'm not bashing them just because I'm not the target consumer for those products. So why all negativity and anger here?

Except for the ability to extend the battery life to 8 or more hours I am the perfect candidate for the MBA. I never use an optical drive, I only ever use WiFi, and I need for watching videos and the of reading webpages while traveling. I'm okay with you not buying one, and you should be ok with others if they do.

I am not against the market that it is targeted but rather the fact that this seriously crippled (my opinion) device is being haled as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It isn't. However, it is for you and your needs and this no one can deny or disapprove and I would not attempt to tell you what you do and not need. If my comments offended you in any way, take heart they were not intended to. I am quite sure you will get your milage out of the MBA, nor do you appear to be a "cliff jumper".
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

I could always just live online like some and be a serial apologist for Apple, however, I choose to do something unique to this particular thread. I think for myself. The MBA is nice but hardly revolutionary. At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility, no optical drive included, and did I mention extremely expensive (depends on the version). See I am not under the illusion that Apple is my friend and that Stevie Boy is my best drinking buddy. Apple is a corporation who's loyalty lies solely with the investors. Apple is not doing any of us favors for free. We consumers are a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anantksundaram and Wizard69 seem to have an understanding and are not easy prey for slick marketing. Apple never had to sell fluff to make a good product but it seems that they are taking the quick and easy route. Can you say M$?

You sound like some stock analyst or who doesn't do his research. All your statements are complete BS and you can't back them up with fact. Anybody could tear your statements apart in 5 seconds.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

You sound like some stock analyst or who doesn't do his research. All your statements are complete BS and you can't back them up with fact. Anybody could tear your statements apart in 5 seconds.

Begin.

Five seconds have elapsed since your post. I guess that would make you an idiot or a liar. Which is it?

While you are at it, demonstrate how easy and quickly you can change a battery, or which peripheral devices I can hang off the MBA. Where in the package is the optical drive included, and how much do they cost?

Can't wait for your enlightenment.