Should I install X11?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am making a new cean install of Mac OS 10.3 on my iBook G3.

Should I install X11? Will I actually need this?

Will my computer run slower if I install it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ...you'll only need it if you have applications that require it.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clyde2 View Post

No. That said, the fact that you are asking these questions means that you probably don't need X11.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

No. That said, the fact that you are asking these questions means that you probably don't need X11.

LOL, this is exactly what I thought when I read today his question.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Unless you're running Unix apps, you don't need X11. In fact, a lot of Unix apps just run in Terminal.app. The most common X11 app is Open Office, if you use that instead of NeoOffice, and an Aqua port is coming in 8 months.

If you install it, it won't slow you down unless you load it and use it.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I use X11 but only for Wireshark so I can read .CAP files, if it weren't for that I would have no use for it.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Well, I just realised that X11 is quite nice under Panther but utterly broken under Leopard. \
  • Reply 7 of 19
    That thread is from a few months ago and there has been at least one x11 update since then.

I use it all the time for Wireshark and have no problem with it at all, so it cant be totally broken
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

That thread is from a few months ago and there has been at least one x11 update since then.

But is that from Apple? Or should we wait for 10.5.x, for some x > 1?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Yes there was a stand alone update to X11, I remember it showing up around the same time 10.5.1 update.

However if you want to try a non apple update you can use this as well. I actually run the X11 2.1.3 from there on one of my machines and its rock solid.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Yes there was a stand alone update to X11, I remember it showing up around the same time 10.5.1 update.

I don't remember this. Mine still has broken fullscreen mode and it spawns a second X11 process bouncing forever when launched from the Dock and resulting in X11 not responding. Yes, this is under 10.5.1 with all updates applied.

Quote:

However if you want to try a non apple update you can use this as well. I actually run the X11 2.1.3 from there on one of my machines and its rock solid.

I am reluctant to apply such an update. Apple will come up with a new X11, hopefuly soon, and I am not sure how well it will play if this one is already installed.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    There was an X11 update in late October that came through in system updates, you can also download it from the Apple downloads site.

I also never experienced the issues you are having, maybe there is something else conflicting with it.

As for being reluctant about installing the other version, I have had it installed for a while and have had no issues at all.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

There was an X11 update in late October that came through in system updates, you can also download it from the Apple downloads site.

I also never experienced the issues you are having, maybe there is something else conflicting with it.

I don't know, everywhere I have looked people talk about broken X11 in Leopard. Even recently.

Quote:

As for being reluctant about installing the other version, I have had it installed for a while and have had no issues at all.

What about installing on top of this the X11 update Apple should release sooner or later? Because it cannot leave X11 at this state.

Anyway, I have version 2.0 from Apple. Is not this the latest one?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I installed X11 from the Leopard CD and ... thank God I had a time machine backup because I needed it. It just doesn't work.

It has something to do with Apple moving away from Xfree86 to X.org code base.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't know, everywhere I have looked people talk about broken X11 in Leopard. Even recently.

What about installing on top of this the X11 update Apple should release sooner or later? Because it cannot leave X11 at this state.

Anyway, I have version 2.0 from Apple. Is not this the latest one?

Our entire product is X11 and with the update found at

X11 is very good. Note that this project has a couple of Apple X11 engineers on the project and will be folded in when Apple releases the results through the usual channels. Overall this is a very safe and very effective patch to the Leopard X11. Most of the problems are due to the move from Xfree86 to Xorg. This is an overall very good shift but will have some bumps. X11 is not a main-line Apple technology but they are being more open than usual about its including in OS X and its development. The x11-dev list is very active with lots of input from Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Our entire product is X11 and with the update found at

X11 is very good. Note that this project has a couple of Apple X11 engineers on the project and will be folded in when Apple releases the results through the usual channels. Overall this is a very safe and very effective patch to the Leopard X11. Most of the problems are due to the move from Xfree86 to Xorg. This is an overall very good shift but will have some bumps. X11 is not a main-line Apple technology but they are being more open than usual about its including in OS X and its development. The x11-dev list is very active with lots of input from Apple.

This is what I finally did. It is true that it solves many issues but an important one remains: still no fullscreen mode. I don't understand what happened and we lost such functionality. Any idea if this is coming soon?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Most of the problems are due to the move from Xfree86 to Xorg. This is an overall very good shift but will have some bumps.

Why the move from Xfree86 to Xorg? Is it because Xfree86 "legacy" while Xorg is "modern"?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This is what I finally did. It is true that it solves many issues but an important one remains: still no fullscreen mode. I don't understand what happened and we lost such functionality. Any idea if this is coming soon?

Really don't know. We want our stuff to appear as integrated with the desktop as possible so we never used fullscreen. I don't remember much discussion of this on the development mailing list. Maybe you should join. http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/x11-users

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Why the move from Xfree86 to Xorg? Is it because Xfree86 "legacy" while Xorg is "modern"?

yes, Xfree86 is quite static at this point with little development activity.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Really don't know. We want our stuff to appear as integrated with the desktop as possible so we never used fullscreen. I don't remember much discussion of this on the development mailing list. Maybe you should join. http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/x11-users

Yes, probably. Fullscreen mode is quite essential for three reasons: (1) it was there before, and it is still but non-functional anymore, (2) many people (like me) on portables need every bit of the screen and (3) some people (like me again ) much dislike the blending of X11 elements with the native OS X environment. I prefer to keep my X11 work environment isolated in its own room any day.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clyde2 View Post

I am making a new cean install of Mac OS 10.3 on my iBook G3.

Should I install X11? Will I actually need this?

Going back to the original question. I would say yes. Go ahead and install it. It won't slow down your mac, and later on down the road, you will learn more about your mac, find software that you want to use that needs x11, and will wished that you had it installed already (by this time you would have probably misplaced your install disks, or would have to spend time digging them out to install them) which was my experience.

A lot of the issues that people are going on about are now fixed, or fixes can be found for it.