Apple's MacBook Air support docs reveal one-of-a-kind solutions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Begin.

Five seconds have elapsed since your post. I guess that would make you an idiot or a liar. Which is it?

While you are at it, demonstrate how easy and quickly you can change a battery, or which peripheral devices I can hang off the MBA.

Can't wait for your enlightenment.

People from Redmond dropping in I see

Oh and my 5 seconds start now:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...-another-cube/

Oh wait, I don't need 5 seconds.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

People from Redmond dropping in I see

Oh and my 5 seconds start now:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...-another-cube/

Oh wait, I don't need 5 seconds.

I'm from New Jersey. So that would make you........
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Quote:

Begin.

Five seconds have elapsed since your post.

While you are at it, demonstrate how easy and quickly you can change a battery, or which peripheral devices I can hang off the MBA.

Can't wait for your enlightenment.

Only a person who can't back up his statements resorts to name calling.

You can get the battery changed at any AASP in a matter of hours. Apple already stated this.

Who the heck listens to CDs and DVDs while travelling. All travellers nowadays save CDs and DVDs to the HD (using iTunes or DVD ripping software) to save on battery power. You'd also install software at home, not on the road, so the external optical drive would stay at home. And last time I bought a thin and light PC for work from our purchasing area, it came with an external optical drive.

You can connect any peripheral you want to this Mac, it still has USB which seems to be the universal port for peripherals. You will of course need a small USB hub, but I've seen small USB hubs as small as my pinky finger.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:

I'm from New Jersey. So that would make you........

Yes? A what?
  • Reply 45 of 72
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    From reading those Apple articles, I gather that all those Remote Disc features require a functional operating system on the MacBook Air's hard drive. It appears that the MacBook Air has to be already booted up and running before it can connect to a wireless network. It appears that remote wireless booting is not possible if the OS on the MacBook Air's hard drive is corrupt, the hard drive fails, or the hard drive has been replaced with a new blank drive.

Is the Apple Hardware Test on the MBA stored in firmware or in a hidden partition on the hard drive?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Only a person who can't back up his statements resorts to name calling.

You can get the battery changed at any AASP in a matter of hours. Apple already stated this.

Who the heck listens to CDs and DVDs while travelling. All travellers nowadays save CDs and DVDs to the HD (using iTunes or DVD ripping software) to save on battery power. And last time I bought a thin and light PC for work from our purchasing area, it came with an external optical drive.

You can connect any peripheral you want to this Mac, it still has USB which seems to be the universal port for peripherals. You will of course need a small USB hub, but I've seen small USB hubs as small as my pinky finger.

Hello Leonard. I said:
    Quote:

At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility, no optical drive included, and did I mention extremely expensive (depends on the version).

Is any of this incorrect, or as you put it: BS. Have you disproved this in 5 seconds or less?
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:

Hello Leonard. I said:

Is any of this incorrect, or as you put it: BS. Have you disproved this in 5 seconds or less?

It's like talking to a wall
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:

Yes? A what?

Hmmmm.......

This is a tough one but I would guess you have a better idea about your character than I would have. I can only speculate based on what I see here, but if it makes you happy, I think you are great. A real swell guy.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:

It's like talking to a wall

Universal translation: Well I guess he's right. He did say what I thought he said. Hope no one notices.

Game, set ,match Leonard.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I assumed I'd get the Ethernet dongle and the SuperDrive. Then I realized I haven't used the optical drive or wired network with my current laptop in over a year!

Dont forget, the Apple's solution to a better wireless/wired network is dont use it. So they would recommend the user to actually have a dongle and use it. Their reasoning is because it is faster. The point is why are they saying that instead of saying use the wireless? Bad marketing for apple man. Their solution is supposed to help the customer and promote the product..
  • Reply 51 of 72
    I wouldnt say zero peripheral support.. i mean the laptop do have a usb port.. we can always get a usb hub.. i know2 its not for traveling.. but they do have peripheral support though..
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:

Yes? A what?

cmon guys, stop with the unrelated subject.. keep it to MBA
  • Reply 53 of 72
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Universal translation: Well I guess he's right. He did say what I thought he said. Hope no one notices.

Game, set ,match Leonard.

This whole forum is laughing at you sapporobaby. I have proven your statements are BS and if you don't see it, then you never will and that's why everyone's laughing at you.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

I wouldnt say zero peripheral support.. i mean the laptop do have a usb port.. we can always get a usb hub.. i know2 its not for traveling.. but they do have peripheral support though..

Don't bother, sapporobaby isn't listening to anybody but himself. As I said, it's like talking to a wall.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:

Don't bother, sapporobaby isn't listening to anybody but himself. As I said, it's like talking to a wall.

So you are now the voice of the entire forum. Must be lonely at the top. Then again being you must be lonely period. The only thing you have proven is that you can take a statement and then take it out of context. No where did I say that there was NO support for peripherals or battery changes. That came from the lonely dark places in your mind. I did however state that it does come without a optical drive.

We can go round and round and you can claim whatever you consider to be a victory but the facts remain the same.

The bottom line is and I promise to go slow just for you. The MBA is nice. Is it earth shaking? In my opinion, no. As revolutionary as the iPod or even the severly old technology (remove the UI and you have a 3 year old device technologically) iPhone? Not by a long shot. Is it new, long awaited and perfectly marketed and targeted at a very specific crowd? Darn skippy.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are in no way affiliated to M$ or any competitor to Apple and are the sole opinions of the poster.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

cmon guys, stop with the unrelated subject.. keep it to MBA

You are correct
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:

No where did I say that there was NO support for peripherals or battery changes.

What do you call the misleading statement
    Quote:

At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facilityt the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility

"almost zero peripheral support" sounds to me like your saying you can't use many of the peripherals out there with it. There are thousand of USB devices out there that you can use with it.

You can stop in any Apple Store or AASP and they'll replace the battery for you. People always seem to claim that going to Apple to change the battery is such a big deal, but how often does a battery die, every 3 years or so...
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

What do you call the misleading statement

"almost zero peripheral support" sounds to me like your saying you can't use many of the peripherals out there with it. There are thousand of USB devices out there that you can use with it.

You can stop in any Apple Store or AASP and they'll replace the battery for you. People always seem to claim that going to Apple to change the battery is such a big deal, but how often does a battery die, every 3 years or so...

Leonard,

Do you read what you write before you hit the "enter" key? I did not say that you can not use the several thousand peripheral devices. I said almost zero peripheral support. I will explain for you. Apple is well known and documented to under power their USB ports. Some USB drives that will work on a Dell, IBM, Fujitsu, etc... to name a few will not work on a Mac without additional external power. Where did I get this gem of info? From the Mac Geniuses. This is planned in the hardware this way. So, if you need more than one USB device and put it on a hub, there is a big chance you will need external power just to make it work. Defeats the point of being ultra-portable in my book.

Battery replacement. Now you sound like a Mac marketing guy Leonard. Will Apple or the AASP replace the battery for free? Are they in the biz of giving things away? How about if my battery dies in my MBP and I run in and pick one up off the shelf and replace it myself. Total cost: my time to run in and get it + cost of battery. Your way: time + battery + service techs time = not very user friendly.

We are going round and round and you have yet to prove anything other than your ability to move the goal posts.

Oh, you forgot to put your: . I put it there for you.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    3 letters people... P.O.S.

The sales in the 2nd quarter will show it's a complete failure. Probably the worst effort put forward from Apple since the Lisa.

I said it before, I'll say it again, look to purchase APPL shares in late September for $87. (unless they release an open 3g iPhone in the next few months.)

When an iPod is one revision away from cannibalizing this MBA debacle... geez.

Not going to be a good year for Apple.

If 10.5.2 doesn't fix the Mac Pro problems, sell sell sell as fast as you can.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

3 letters people... P.O.S.

The sales in the 2nd quarter will show it's a complete failure. Probably the worst effort put forward from Apple since the Lisa.

I said it before, I'll say it again, look to purchase APPL shares in late September for $87. (unless they release an open 3g iPhone in the next few months.)

When an iPod is one revision away from cannibalizing this MBA debacle... geez.

Not going to be a good year for Apple.

If 10.5.2 doesn't fix the Mac Pro problems, sell sell sell as fast as you can.

Wow Rain. That is a bit harsh but possibly true. The MBA is heavily targeted at a very narrow market. I would hope that Apple would not place all of its eggs in one basket on this one. There is mucho to go wrong and much seems to depend on early adoption.

As for the iPhone, it seems the hype is fading fast. Europeans are much more sophisticated than North Americans when it comes to mobile telephony. Many are buying the iPhone, not for the technology (the iPhone is really 3+ years old in terms of technology minus the UI) but for the ability to have a phone with a combined music player all in one package. The new Nokia phones (coming to a store near you) will have a touch UI, and a music store to purchase tunes right over the air. Apple needs to step up its game, as in Europe and the rest of the world, Nokia has quite a substancial market share. Intersing days are coming.