Who is using Safari as their main browser?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Although IE and NS7/Mozilla/Chimera are better in some respects to Safari, and Safari has some annoying bugs, I'm actually using Safari as my main browser. I'm not sure why - maybe because it's new and I'm checking it out (I design websites for a living so I need to know about just about every browser available!), but I think also the interface is nicely unobtrusive and compact, it renders pages at a reasonable clip and most sites seem to work fine with it.

So I was wondering who here is using Safari as their main browser and why; and if you're not, let us know why!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Me! It's fast as all hell! WOOHOOO!
  • Reply 2 of 76
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I do mainly because it's faster. It also handles certain pages IE had trouble with.

Plus, it's Apple software, and that means comfort!

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 76
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Safari is my number one choice now. Though it have some little bugs, it never got too serious.

its speed, interface and bookmarks won me over.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    I am.

There are still a few rare JavaScript and CSS issues on some of the sites I frequent, but I just drop into Navigator for those. It's amazing how slow and incomplete Navigator now feels next to Safari. Mmm!
  • Reply 5 of 76
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Another vote here.

Just the speed and brilliant bookmarks organization alone won me over. I'm still dazzled by just how good it is.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i would love safari to be my default browser. unfortunately, OS 9 doesn't know what .app means
  • Reply 7 of 76
    safari 90% of the time, Chimera the rest....g
  • Reply 8 of 76
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've used Safari exclusively since last week's keynote and haven't had a single problem (no crashes, no improperly displayed sites, etc.).

The ONLY thing odd is a slight windows sizing/placement quirk (which I talk about in a thread in "Software"). But seeing how this is still in the beta stage, I'm not getting too keyed up about that.

Safari is wonderful. Just what I was hoping for: a slick, fast and clean browswer written to run on an OS made by the same company that MAKES the OS.

Our own little version of Microsoft!

• Reply 9 of 76
    One more here.

Its quite amazing. I have tried to change browser from IE a couple of times and with Chimera I was close. I removed all other browsers from my dock once I had downloaded Safari, made the debug menu active to make the "Open with another browser" option active. But since I found out how to use Hotmail with Safari I have had reason to use anything else.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    My default too. I used to use Chimera, but I like Safari's minimal user interface, and SnapBack feature.

Bookmark managment is awesome and it's just as fast as Chimera. I've learned to live without Tabs.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    I use it exclusively for browsing, but it has an annoying little bug when previewing pages in Dreamweaver, where you have to quit it before previewing in order for it to work. So I generally preview in IE first, then in Safari when I'm done.

My site is much prettier in Safari, I must say.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Internet Explorer.

Maybe Mozilla when I want to zip around the web. But IE has always been my browser of choice on the Mac (my first Mac was a first generation Bondi-Blue iMac).

I think Safari has a looooong way to go before even reaching IE or even Chimera (never tried that).

One thing I notice (and need from other web applications) about Safari with Mail is that they can both be online and downloading without much stress on each other. With other non-native applications this has been a problem (Hell, always with web apps in OS 9) where one will slow down signifigantly because the other is operating (downloading).

Guess this is because Safari/Mail are OS X native. Wish other apps start "switching".

I give Safari another 6 months...then we'll see. They really need to improve the Download features. More like IE's Download Manager...which is great.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Safari fulltime except to preview html pages from Dreamweaver, Safari won't open them (if switching).
  • Reply 14 of 76
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Safari, except when I'm testing a site locally. For some reason, some links on my site will screw up the URL in Safari. I dunno. It's probably my shoddy coding but it works in EVERY other browser I've ever tried. For those situations, I just use OW. It's nice to not have deal with IE ever.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    I also use Safari as my main browser. 29 times out of 30 it works fine for me. If not, I use Chimera.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Safari, except when I'm testing a site locally. For some reason, some links on my site will screw up the URL in Safari. I dunno. It's probably my shoddy coding but it works in EVERY other browser I've ever tried. For those situations, I just use OW. It's nice to not have deal with IE ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had this problem as well and found the Safari doesn't work with the 'localhost' designation very well (doesn't handle relative links???) I switched all my local references to 127.0.0.1 and all is well. Don't know if this is what your seeing or not but it might help.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    I use Safari as my sole browser now. I'm pretty happy with it. IE was always a nightmare, and Chimera just wasn't quite stable enough for me. I've trashed 'em both. Safari works just fine for my needs.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by physguy:

<strong>

I had this problem as well and found the Safari doesn't work with the 'localhost' designation very well (doesn't handle relative links???) I switched all my local references to 127.0.0.1 and all is well. Don't know if this is what your seeing or not but it might help. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I'll try that. Thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I use it all the time now I love it alot!

To be honest tho, there has been 1 instance where I have had to use IE and that because of a javascript or something like that running a part of the page!
  • Reply 20 of 76
    I am also using Safar as my main browser. I've had a few problems with it but it's the same problems I had with IE on specific sites...so no big deal. I LOVE the new bookmarking system! If they add autofill...it'll seal the deal for me. Oh, and make sure you send lots of feedback to Apple. I think they're serious about making this an awsome browser so let's help out!