Gartner: Apple to claim over 12% of US PC market by 2011

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will see its share of the US personal computer market increase twofold over the next three years from 6.1 percent to over 12 percent, according Gartner.

The market research firm made the assumption as part of a report issued Thursday titled "Key Predictions for IT Organisations and Users in 2008 and Beyond." It similarly predicts that Apple will also double its share in Western Europe.

"Apple's gains in computer market share reflect as much on the failures of the rest of the industry as on Apple's success," Gartner said in the report. "Apple is challenging its competitors with software integration that provides ease of use and flexibility; continuous and more frequent innovation in hardware and software; and an ecosystem that focuses on interoperability across multiple devices (such as iPod and iMac cross-selling)."

Some of the other predictions outlined in the firm's report include:

By 2012, 50 per cent of traveling workers will leave their notebooks at home in favour of other devices.By 2012, 80 per cent of all commercial software will include elements of open-source technology.By 2012, at least one-third of business application software spending will be as service subscription instead of as product license.By 2011, early technology adopters will forgo capital expenditures and instead purchase 40 per cent of their IT infrastructure as a service.By 2009, more than one third of IT organizations will have one or more environmental criteria in their top six buying criteria for IT-related goods.By 2010, 75 per cent of organisations will use full life cycle energy and CO2 footprint as mandatory PC hardware buying criteria.By 2011, suppliers to large global enterprises will need to prove their green credentials via an audited process to retain preferred supplier status.By 2010, end-user preferences will decide as much as half of all software, hardware and services acquisitions made by IT.Through 2011, the number of 3-D printers in homes and businesses will grow 100-fold over 2006 levels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Can somebody say switchers
  • Reply 2 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    What's Apple's product quadrant going to look like then?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I certainly believe it, it sounds fair, however I honestly think they might have more market share by then. MS screwed up big-time with Vista, people also constantly grumble about the shortcomings and idiosyncrasies of PCs. The Mac maker will return to having majority market share, unless something crazy happens like Ubuntu takes off.

Apple understands the market, but most important of all, it really gets its customers. Thats where the difference lies. For example, Sony envies the artistic + extremely functional aspects of the Macbook, so what do they do? They tack on so-called "artsy" designs to the backs of their already existing lines of notebooks and thing that people will dump their MBs and MBPs and flock because all of a sudden "Sony gets it!". Thats not getting it, thats a desperate attempt at imitation.

Bottom line is, consumers aren't stupid these days like they once were. They are well informed and they will not let certain companies force their products onto them. Consumers like options, not too many, but stable options. Case in point, people don't "buy" Vista or XP, it is forced onto them when they purchase a Dell or and HP. On the other hand, people who buy Macs buy them because they truly want a Mac!
  • Reply 4 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Consumers like options, not too many, but stable options.

Customers like to have the option of options but tend to be confused by them. Most people rely on computers but still know nothing about them. It's still too common to here the harddrvie, CPU, motherboard, and RAM easily interchanged when something is actually talking about the harddrive, CPU, motherboard or RAM.

Using Dells website for ordering is a daunting task compared to the ease of use to Apple's Online Store. But there will always be a divide between those who want the perception of control and those who want simplicity. I'm glad we live in a society that allows all aspects to be represented.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What's Apple's product quadrant going to look like then?

A hypercube! You'll have to start studying String Theory in order to grasp all of the dimensions. There will be the following axes:
    • Pocket-Laptop-Desktop (maybe) - Server

• Entry-level - Consumer - Prosumer - Pro - Institutional

• Flash-based - Hard-Drive-based

• Other aspects we haven't dreamed up yet!

I can't wait to see Apple get into the 12% marketshare, because I think that is getting pretty close to Mac's optimal figure. Wouldn't you think that the optimal marketshare is 100%? I think it is a lot less because Apple engages in all kinds of anti-competitive and monopolistic practices, but with such a small market share, complainers are told that they do have a choice: the majority OS. Now, we long-time Mac users actually buy into the Apple monopoly because we like the integration of hardware, software and OS. Practically speaking, it makes using a Mac much nicer and smoother to use.

If Apple starts to gain really big market share numbers, anti-trust regulators might start giving them some trouble. Look at how many problems they've had, especially in Europe, with the highly successful iPod/iTunes combo.

My totally subjective optimal marketshare for the Mac is in the 15-20% range. That's big enough that no developer or peripheral maker can ignore our platform, yet we avoid to regulatory hassles that might make us as mediocre as the Microsoft world.

And, by the way, that claim about 3D printers is whack. I talked to a local print shop that has one and they are having a hard time keeping it busy enough to justify its on-going existence. I worked for one engineering company who gave theirs away for lack of use, but I worked for another where it got used pretty regularly. My view is that people are going to be pretty disappointed by the quality of their printed parts to gain that kind of widespread appeal. I wish it were true, but I don't see the 100-fold increase happening.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    I believe that Apple will double its market share by the end of 2009 or, at the latest, mid 2010.

The writing's on the wall.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Wow, I just looked up 3D printing... sick stuff! I didn't know the final products were FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

I watched this video and was amazed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qiU...eature=related

Also these two (the second video made me a believer!):

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=S7noXI530RU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwSxU...eature=related
  • Reply 8 of 54
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Customers like to have the option of options but tend to be confused by them. Most people rely on computers but still know nothing about them. It's still too common to here the harddrvie, CPU, motherboard, and RAM easily interchanged when something is actually talking about the harddrive, CPU, motherboard or RAM.

Using Dells website for ordering is a daunting task compared to the ease of use to Apple's Online Store. But there will always be a divide between those who want the perception of control and those who want simplicity. I'm glad we live in a society that allows all aspects to be represented.

Give me the market that wants simplicity and usability, and you can have the market of tweekers and DYI-ers.

See you at the bank... me depositing.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Unless Apple introduces a headless desktop that fits between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, this is not happening. Apple needs a $500 headless desktop with full feature set to win any significant share of enterprise business...
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Wow, I just looked up 3D printing... sick stuff! I didn't know the final products were FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

Just what the world needs... mass 'printing' of more junk to be disposed.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Can somebody say switchers

I was going to link to the youtube Mac switch ad of "switcher" Ellen Fleiss and then I thought, "Huh". People would post nasty comments that would have to be "beep, beep, beep ,beep" censored out.

So, I decided not to add my warp sense of humor to my reply to this post and not link to Ellen and to give it a rest!

See, I do have a heart!\
  • Reply 12 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Give me the market that wants simplicity and usability, and you can have the market of tweekers and DYI-ers.

See you at the bank... me depositing.

I'll be depositing too. Being a simpleton, I'm heavily invested in companies that strive for simplicity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I was going to link to the youtube Mac switch ad of "switcher" Ellen Fleiss and then I thought, "Huh". People would post nasty comments that would have to be "beep, beep, beep ,beep" censored out.

What's the del with Ellen Fleiss?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    3D printing is amazing technology, but its for modeling, it's NOT fully functional yet... "Earl grey tea, hot." "Mr. Data, are you fully functional?"
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'll be depositing too. Being a simpleton, I'm heavily invested in companies that strive for simplicity.

That was the generic "you'.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Unless Apple introduces a headless desktop that fits between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, this is not happening. Apple needs a $500 headless desktop with full feature set to win any significant share of enterprise business...

Actually, I think that an "xMac" will be introduced...but it won't be an xMac per se. I think the Mac Mini will shrink more in size, and that with this shrinkage, it will allow perhaps for small expansion slot in the back. It might be called a Mac Nano or who else knows, but the point is, that will satisfy all those who want expandability. I also think Apple TV and Mac Mini will eventually converge to become one product, however there will be two versions: AppleTV (entertainment/consumer) and Mac Mini (more powerfull, home computing/enterprise).

But honestly, who needs a headless mac, either buy a Pro, or buy a Mac Mini. Mac Mini is small enough where you can connect all sorts of cool stuff under it and its still smaller than any PC footprint. Maybe someone should make some sort of Mac Mini Expansion Dock, where you can plug in all the PCI slots you want.

And why does enterprise need a headless desktop? Most of them only use word processing, spreadsheets and some other apps. Mac Mini is more than enough for that. All the more hardcore stuff calls for Mac Pro. I think Apple has it covered.

I am planning on opening an office soon and I will be exclusively using Mac Minis, and they will be far better than the Dell & HP crap boxes at my current workplace. Also, our office will be elegant and will just work right, instead of constant calls to IT support for all sorts of messes.

Simplicity. Ockam's Razor. It always wins.

Simple, yet powerful. Simple, yet elegant. Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

I certainly believe it, it sounds fair, however I honestly think they might have more market share by then. MS screwed up big-time with Vista, people also constantly grumble about the shortcomings and idiosyncrasies of PCs. The Mac maker will return to having majority market share, unless something crazy happens like Ubuntu takes off.

Apple understands the market, but most important of all, it really gets its customers. Thats where the difference lies. For example, Sony envies the artistic + extremely functional aspects of the Macbook, so what do they do? They tack on so-called "artsy" designs to the backs of their already existing lines of notebooks and thing that people will dump their MBs and MBPs and flock because all of a sudden "Sony gets it!". Thats not getting it, thats a desperate attempt at imitation.

Bottom line is, consumers aren't stupid these days like they once were. They are well informed and they will not let certain companies force their products onto them. Consumers like options, not too many, but stable options. Case in point, people don't "buy" Vista or XP, it is forced onto them when they purchase a Dell or and HP. On the other hand, people who buy Macs buy them because they truly want a Mac!

I don't know if I would say other companies force their products on people. If anything Apple does this more- you have zero options when buying a Mac laptop compared to something like Dell. I can get a Dell in any size I want with any options on each of them. This has been a major sticking point in my decision to buy a Mac- Its tough to pay so much more when other companies offer you so many more options.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

Its tough to pay so much more when other companies offer you so many more options.

I got my sister a Dell a few years ago. I had tons of choices. Honestly, it was a pain in the a$$ for me to decide what to get her. I did not know much about Dell's product line, and I found the array of choices mildly bewildering. Maybe I saved some money for the specs I got her, though, I don't remember. It surely had great benchmark specs compared to the Macs available at the time. I do know that she hates using it and can sometimes be found at my mother's iBook.

Did I pay less for the computer I bought? Probably.

Was the actual end result a waste of money? Definately.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Did you check out NetApplications market share trends? Mac share is skyrocketing. Did you check out ChangeWave surveys? They say that the number of consumers (not businesses tho) wanting to buy Macs is going up fast, and it already exceeded 30%. That number is going to keep going up, and it a couple years, I can expect the market for mac to match 30%, especially if Microsoft leaves consumers with Vista until then.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

I don't know if I would say other companies force their products on people. If anything Apple does this more- you have zero options when buying a Mac laptop compared to something like Dell. I can get a Dell in any size I want with any options on each of them. This has been a major sticking point in my decision to buy a Mac- Its tough to pay so much more when other companies offer you so many more options.

Sounds like you prefer the Dell product then.

Enjoy!

The point is that Apple isn't 'restricting' anyone's choices. A small small subset of users want to Tim Allen their computers, and for them, enjoy that great big Windows, Linux etc world.

Plenty of choices abound.

But quit griping that a company that has a specific (and enormous) target audience is somehow 'forcing' something on you.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

I've been watching the Rapid Prototyping industry for years. I've been waiting for the day when we could have one in our homes! This is going to revolutionize the inventing process. The day is coming when the common man will be able to create a 3D prototype on his home computer, then turn around and actually create a single working model. How cool is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_prototyping

$5000 to $1000 in 4 years

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/08/d...5k-3d-printer/