Steve Jobs to Apple investors: 'hang in there'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    @Ascii:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)

You are talking about GDP, or how much US produces in a year. According to wiki, it already reached 14.6 Trillion in 2006. Lets assume that in 2007 GDP grew at 4% and in 2008 GDP will grow at 2%, the expected US GDP for 2008 will be close to $15.5 Trillion.

I am not talking about the GDP. I am talking about the total size of the financial markets in the US.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/market...54979120080115

According to reuters on Jan 15 2008, I was a little off, US financial markets totaled $56 Trillion. But given the recent hair cuts, my 40 trillion estimate is about right. This number includes the derivatives market such as Options, Futures, ETFs, Commodities, etc, and therefore is much larger than the GDP which is one year's worth of a country's output. 161 Billion dollars as a percentage of that is a drop in a bucket.(As I have said, a thank you note)
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Last post of the day, before I go off to bed.

Unless an unlocked 3G iphone comes out in 2 months, I see AAPL trading at $110 strike price by March.

Fasten your seatbelts, or prepare to double down at that price I guess. The proper way if you are LONG AAPL is to write in the money calls(5 dollars below) or at the money calls every month for the next 2-3 months to get some cash out of your long position.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taoshen1983 View Post

Last post of the day, before I go off to bed.

Unless an unlocked 3G iphone comes out in 2 months, I see AAPL trading at $110 strike price by March.

Unfortunately, I don't see a 3G iPhone coming out 'til late calendar Q2 (June) at the earliest. \

So yeah, those of us holding Apple stock (like moi) may be screwed in the short term.

• Reply 64 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Unfortunately, I don't see a 3G iPhone coming out 'til late calendar Q2 (June) at the earliest. \

I think that's pretty realistic. Apple usually doesn't do major feature updates on its portable devices more than once a year.

Quote:

So yeah, those of us holding Apple stock (like moi) may be screwed in the short term.

As long as you can hold on in the short term, I really don't think it's a major problem.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Wow, I broke my own rules and shorted GOOGLE at the closing. It is amazing that not even google is immune to this crap.

I guess this short California rule is going to play well for another quarter or so.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As long as you can hold on in the short term, I really don't think it's a major problem.

I wouldn't be that blase about it. AAPL will eventually bounce back to $200, but no one knows exactly how long it'll take... could well be a very long time.

• Reply 67 of 69
    Seeking Alpha has an article about this (citing AppleInsider for the breaking the story). Looks like they are trying to get the full text of the message and will post it on this page:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/6209...-hang-in-there

Think they'll get it?
  • Reply 68 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

He mentions Google yet uses the Yahoo finance charts. So balanced. Is Yahoo still the best for free finance info?...

I regularly use Yahoo for Finance stuff, especially UK, Asia stocks and especially, currency. In perspective, Google Finance has not been impressive, as much as I like it for almost everything else.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not just the color, the texture is different too. I don't know if that makes much difference, but I do like that texture.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I don't pay that kind of additional money for texture. ...

TBaggins, you've obviously never really owned a Black MacBook? In the sub-15" laptop range, I'd say it is the pinnacle of portable computing design of the past 10 years.

The texture plays a *huge* role in the awesomeness of the Black MacBook.

In the 15" range, of course, the Titanium PowerBook G4. Tres sex.