MacBook Airs land early, due in stores shortly

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Store customers who were amongst the first to pre-order the new MacBook Air following its debut earlier this month have informed AppleInsider that their notebooks are starting to arrive -- a full day early. Meanwhile, there is now confirmation that the first SSD-based models have also shipped.

HDD models ship

"Got mine this morning bright and early via FedEx from China!," one reader wrote in an e-mail.

It appears Apple is shipping orders priority out of Shanghai, which means a good percentage of customers stand to receive their notebooks today rather than Friday as shipment confirmations had initially suggested.

Meanwhile, AppleInsider on Thursday received the first confirmation from Apple retail store representatives that they too expect to have the new ultra-slim notebooks in stock momentarily.

Though retail representatives on Wednesday were uniformly clueless as to when they'd have stock of the Air (some times saying "2 to 3 weeks," sometimes saying "we have no idea"), calls placed to the company stores on Thursday morning revealed that some locations have now been told to expect the notebooks "within the next two days" and by "Saturday at the latest."

HDD and SSD at Fifth Ave store

In New York City, Apple's Midtown Manhattan flagship shop has already received delivery and set units up for display, including an SSD model. A video from the store (above) shows patrons getting their first feel of the machines.

Update: MacBooks pulled from Midtown store

According to numerous submissions, Apple corporate reprimanded staffers at the Midtown Manhattan store for displaying the MacBook Airs ahead of an official retail roll-out, presumably planned for Friday (tomorrow). The models have since been removed from the floor.

"I just went to the store and they said that they had them on display, but they got a call from the corporate office telling them to take them away," wrote one tipster. "The associate said to call sometime tonight to find out exactly what time they would be available again."

"I just spoke with the NYC store, they have not sold 1 Macbook Air yet," wrote another tipster. "They had them out 'a couple days ago on display' and then pulled them, they have a large banner also, the employee said the best guess is they will be for sale on Friday -- when more of the country gets their shipments or Saturday if they need to wait for the OK from headquarters."

Box comparison shots

Meanwhile, Ars posts some photos showing the approximate 40 percent size reduction of the MacBook Air's retail packaging compared to that of Apple's other notebooks -- the MacBook and MacBook Pro. And UneasySilence submits some small, but good quality unboxing photos.

Some SSD-based models ship

It appears that Apple has now also begun shipping the first batch of SSD-based MacBook Air orders to customers who placed their order immediately following Steve Jobs' Macworld keynote on January 15th.

Apple retail re-adjustment tonight

Apple's Midtown Manhattan store is already was showcasing the new MacBook Airs, but the notebooks are nowhere to be found at Apple retail stores on the West Coast. That said, however, some tipsters claim that several Apple retail stores will be adjusting their planogram layouts overnight, with the intention of opening shop tomorrow with Airs on display.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available. If you've received your MacBook Air and have any comments or photos you'd like to share, don't hesitate to submit them via email to: news (at) appleinsider (dot) com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I look forward to checking these out at my local Apple Store.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I look forward to getting mine ASAP. I ordered on the 16th, It should arrive by the 7th of February!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I look forward to waiting until there is an external battery option.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    ^ with the million of electrical outlets everywhere, including airports, cafes, etc...

Why not just carry the charger around with you ??? Do you really need more than 5 hours? Will you really be in such a remote place for so long that you won't even be able to plug the damn thing into an outlet?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

^ with the million of electrical outlets everywhere, including airports, cafes, etc...

Why not just carry the charger around with you ??? Do you really need more than 5 hours? Will you really be in such a remote place for so long that you won't even be able to plug the damn thing into an outlet?

Many places are limited in their electroc outlets. I carry a small Monster power strip. It's the only thing they sell at a reasonable price. 12 hr trans-oceanic flight in coach, plus buses, cabs and trains, plus waiting in lobbies or eating in restaurants. Yeah, I need the extra juice.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    How are they securing the airbook to the tables? As I recall, some complaints about it revolved around the lack of an ability to lock it down.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

How are they securing the airbook to the tables? As I recall, some complaints about it revolved around the lack of an ability to lock it down.

That is a problem for me. I prefer to leave my stuff locked to the seat I'm in when I use the bathroom in public plays or get in line to order. Is there really no place they could have stuck the hole?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a problem for me. I prefer to leave my stuff locked to the seat I'm in when I use the bathroom in public plays or get in line to order. Is there really no place they could have stuck the hole?

You are probably in the minority.

Sitting here in the University's main library, there are about a couple of dozen laptops in view. Not one is tethered. (Same case in the class rooms) I personally have a lock which I bought years ago and have used it once. In fact, I am not sure if I remember the combo or the last time I saw anybody using one, either on a plane, train or automobile. Just returned from the Conference and seem to recall it being similar.

Just called down to the Store and queried how many locks they have sold recently. Manager said he rarely does. Best advice: Never leave your laptop out of your sight.

Also asked about batteries. Again, very few sold. Though, have had many that have been returned dead as a doornail because they were never used and/or charged with any consistent frequency. Most commented that they were dead weight.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are probably in the minority.

I'm sure of it, which is why I'm not bashing it for not including something few people utilize.

I have 2 spare batteries and use my lock frequently. I even had to Dremel my TechShell case to allow the Kensington lock to connect flush.

I do remember my combination. It's the price of a cheese pizza and large soda where he used to work, Panucci's Pizza. Ten seventy-seven; same as my PIN number.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Is "planogram" actually a real word?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:

I do remember my combination. It's the price of a cheese pizza and large soda where he used to work, Panucci's Pizza. Ten seventy-seven; same as my PIN number.

FRY!!! (Solipsism's true identity has been revealed!)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Yes, yes it is.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

You could have googled define + planogram or typed planogram into Leopard's Spotlight faster than replying here.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    They're securing them with an USB cable that probably sends off an alarm when disconnected.

Needless to say that is not going to work out for anyone who doesn't have a shop but wants to secure his laptop.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mosmos Posts: 1member
    just spoke with the NYC store, they have not sold 1 Macbook Air yet, they had them out "a couple days ago on display" and then pulled them, they have a large banner also, the employee said the best guess is they will be for Sale on Friday - when more of the country gets their shipments or Sat if they need to wait for the OK for Headquarters - AGAIN NO MACBOOK AIR AT 5AVE NYC Apple store
  • Reply 16 of 27
    i say "meh" to this entire ordeal.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOS View Post

just spoke with the NYC store, they have not sold 1 Macbook Air yet, they had them out "a couple days ago on display" and then pulled them, they have a large banner also, the employee said the best guess is they will be for Sale on Friday - when more of the country gets their shipments or Sat if they need to wait for the OK for Headquarters - AGAIN NO MACBOOK AIR AT 5AVE NYC Apple store

That's odd -- I had two friends pre-order them from there this week (5th Ave. store), gonna pick them up when they came in (I haven't heard if they got them today or tomorrow). Which store did you call?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I'm sure of it, which is why I'm not bashing it for not including something few people utilize.

Mr. He Who Knows what everbody wants- If you're in the minority, what makes you think you know what the majority wants or does not?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

I've not seen an airport lounge with an adequate number of outlets. It restricts your seating location too.

Quote:

Nobody has reported getting anything close to 5 hours. Assume battery run times are a lie until third parties test them.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

That's odd -- I had two friends pre-order them from there this week (5th Ave. store), gonna pick them up when they came in (I haven't heard if they got them today or tomorrow). Which store did you call?

Maybe they're servicing those that preordered before putting any on display.