iPHONE 2: Likely to have video conferencing????

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
What's do you guys think the chances of Apple introducing the iPhone 2, obviously with 3G, but also with iChat AV capabilities that will allow mobile video conferencing??? I REALLY want this and I think that if Apple can pull it off (which I believe they can) they will set the iPhone on a Plateau that will be hard to reach and put the tech industry on its heels (at least in the US market anyway).

Your Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I don't believe Apple would do that yet as 3G support in the US is terrible, europe however is a different story.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I don't believe Apple would do that yet as 3G support in the US is terrible, europe however is a different story.

Even if 3G coverage isn't where it should be wifi is still a viable option for many Americans. I live in Worcester, Ma so 3G is already available to us through At&t. That being said, even if it wasn't, i'd be satisfied with just being able to use it through wifi. Besides, the iPod Touch will not have 3G but I'm hoping that the next Touch sports a camera and the same iChat AV capabilities.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

What's do you guys think the chances of Apple introducing the iPhone 2, obviously with 3G, but also with iChat AV capabilities that will allow mobile video conferencing??? I REALLY want this and I think that if Apple can pull it off (which I believe they can) they will set the iPhone on a Plateau that will be hard to reach and put the tech industry on its heels (at least in the US market anyway).

Your Thoughts?

I already use Skype4iPhone on the iPhone and love it. It works flawlessly when in a wifi zone. I think this is where you'll see video conferencing first, as you can already do that on Skype. Maybe all that is needed is support for peripheral devices, like a small camera. The iphone camera is on the other side!!

Didn't Apple patent LCD camera technology? As I understand that, there are many small cameras built in to the LCD screen. I imagine that technology is a bit out at this time. I vote for peripheral support, like printers, cameras, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Why to people constantly forget that the iPhone has WiFi?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    What's the status of bids for the 700Mhz spectrum from the FCC? I read that Google did indeed place large bids, but all bids are sealed. When will the 'winners' be announced? Also, how does this new spectrum figure in the plans for wireless companies?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Really is Apple thought there was potential here they could have went the video conferencing route already. The problem is I think the demand for this, in a small hand held device iPhones size, would be rather small. It is a matter of trying to hold the iPnone and keep yourself in the cameras field of view.

To get this to work well at all you would need real time display of your iPhones video conferencing cameras image and that of the image being received. So we are talking split screen at its simplest. I see this a difficult to do in the current iPhone platform espcially with a fixed camera. A camera that could be pivoted and rolled with respect the the iPhone would help out a lot.

So what does all this mean. A bigger iPhone mostly. Not that I'm agaisnt that as I'd dearly love a larger but pocketable iPhone/Touch. The motivation here is a better screen. A littel bit of screen real estate increase though makes for a lot of room for a camera and other stuff. I see this idea as possible but certainly not a hot have to have.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Video conferencing on phones is stupid if you ask me.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really is Apple thought there was potential here they could have went the video conferencing route already. The problem is I think the demand for this, in a small hand held device iPhones size, would be rather small. It is a matter of trying to hold the iPnone and keep yourself in the cameras field of view.

To get this to work well at all you would need real time display of your iPhones video conferencing cameras image and that of the image being received. So we are talking split screen at its simplest. I see this a difficult to do in the current iPhone platform espcially with a fixed camera. A camera that could be pivoted and rolled with respect the the iPhone would help out a lot.

So what does all this mean. A bigger iPhone mostly. Not that I'm agaisnt that as I'd dearly love a larger but pocketable iPhone/Touch. The motivation here is a better screen. A littel bit of screen real estate increase though makes for a lot of room for a camera and other stuff. I see this idea as possible but certainly not a hot have to have.

Dave

They also have potential to make the entire phone screen the camera. Anyone else remember that patent? Actually, for me it would be incredibly useful to have the option of video-conferencing on my phone. I wouldn't want to use it all the time, but when it comes to demonstrating something, or showing something vs. describing it, I'd rather viddy it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Video conferencing on phones is stupid if you ask me.

I dont think its stupid, buts its definitely not necessary. People wont be happy until the iPhone has everything. And then everyone will just find more that it dont have and they will call it crap for that.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I cant speak for the rest of Europe but in the UK video calling hasnt really taken of. When 3UK first launched video calling was one of the key apps they tried to push but it just hasnt taken off. Its a nice feature to have but not all companies in the UK give away free video minutes like 3, the charges are often quite high.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

I dont think its stupid, buts its definitely not necessary. People wont be happy until the iPhone has everything. And then everyone will just find more that it dont have and they will call it crap for that.

The difference with me is I don't care what they say. I buy an iPhone because I like it, not cause anyone else does.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    when iphone 2 come out wimax is going to be available, thats its soo much faster than 3g. wouldnt you think they would have to put a camera on the top near the ear speaker too. sounds tricky but i bet apple could pull it off plus sedning video messages can be pricey dont you think having a live conference will be pricey too?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterjeter26 View Post

when iphone 2 come out wimax is going to be available, thats its soo much faster than 3g. wouldnt you think they would have to put a camera on the top near the ear speaker too. sounds tricky but i bet apple could pull it off plus sedning video messages can be pricey dont you think having a live conference will be pricey too?

not video messages, video chat. iChat Av to be exact. That wouldn't cost anything to use.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

not video messages, video chat. iChat Av to be exact. That wouldn't cost anything to use.

Of course it will cost you whenever you're not on wifi.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Video chat that can communicate not only between fellow iPhone users, but also between an iPhone user on the go and a Mac user at home via their built-in iSight camera. Out of town on business? Call the kids at home who can talk to you via the computer. It'd be cool.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's the status of bids for the 700Mhz spectrum from the FCC? I read that Google did indeed place large bids, but all bids are sealed. When will the 'winners' be announced? Also, how does this new spectrum figure in the plans for wireless companies?

Now this is getting interesting!!

AT&T have purchased the 12Mhz spectrum which covers 60% of the US. A sing that AT&T (& Apple) are going to implement Nationwide WiFi rther than 3G?

http://macworld.co.uk/business/news/...m?newsid=20351