PC Itunes controlling Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Curious if anybody can tell me whether I can use Itunes on my touchscreen PC (not Apple) to control Apple TV. Both are sync'd, but I'd love to use Itunes as a remote for Apple TV. Everything is wireless.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    If you can already run iTunes on the PC, you can stream data to it from there or sync.

You still run the AppleTV from the AppleTV menu though. It just connects to an iTunes account (one you specify). Its not like you are controlling the AppleTV from the iTunes account on another box, not that I've seen (i.e. not like an AirPort Express).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Ummm... I'm pretty sure the included Apple TV remote is wireless... am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Ummm... I'm pretty sure the included Apple TV remote is wireless... am I missing something?

There is an IR remote and an IR sensor on the front of the AppleTV. To the extent his touchscreen PC can send the same IR signals as the remote then he can control the menu, etc. (any learning TV/DVD/etc. remote could do this much cheaper; Logitech's Harmony line of remotes are especially nice if a bit pricey).

If the OP was asking about being able to pull up an interactive AppleTV menu on the PC itself (from iTunes or wherever), uh, no, that's how it works. The interface is on screen from the AppleTV itself. Its not like AirTunes (or at least my gen 1 device isn't).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Trying to use Itunes as a on-demand Jukebox for party's to play videos and music.