Garmin's iPhone rival; MacBook Air's CPU non-exclusive; more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Garmin is looking to become the first credible rival to Apple with a touchscreen phone that adds real GPS navigation and 3G. Meanwhile, reports have the MacBook Air's special Core 2 Duo surfacing in Windows PCs, and Apple may use the tale of one iPhone's encounter with a semi-trailer truck for a future ad.



Garmin nüvifone chases after GPS, iPhone features



Known best for its GPS mapping units, Garmin held a press event on Wednesday night for a product that signals its plunge into the world of cellphones.



Called the nüvifone, the device at first blush is more than slightly familiar to iPhone users. A 3.5-inch wide touchscreen serves as the sole control for nearly every function; only power and volume have physical controls. The handset will also sport Wi-Fi, an advanced web browser, and playback of AAC/MP3 audio as well as MPEG-4 video.



Garmin pins its hopes, however, on one key element: a true GPS unit. Unlike the iPhone and iPod touch, which only use triangulation to provide a rough estimate of the owner's whereabouts, the nüvifone has a true GPS receiver that pinpoint a near-exact location in North America or Europe. The tracking device supplies local Google searches for fuel prices, restaurants, and other nearby data. It will also automatically geotag (position-locate) any photos or videos captured with its camera and includes a cradle mount that switches the phone into GPS mode for use in a car.



More importantly, Garmin's first phone also appears to be an answer to common complaints about its Cupertino-born challenger. Besides being able to capture video, the nüvifone runs a faster 3G cellular Internet connection and supports MMS messaging -- a means of sending photos and video clips between cellphones which has been conspicuously absent from the iPhone.











While potentially the iPhone's most obvious competitor to date, questions remain about the nüvifone's availability. Garmin has only promised a general summer release date and hasn't named either a carrier or a price, either of which should affect its ability to compete with Apple's current and future offerings.



Fujitsu, Lenovo on tap for MacBook Air's processor?



Claiming to have sources aware of future plans, CNET says that the MacBook Air's unique Core 2 Duo processor isn't exclusive and will find its way into notebooks from two major PC vendors.



Both Fujitsu and Lenovo will use the 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz chips in computers that will be launched "shortly," the site alleges. As demonstrated with Apple's own design, the Intel processor is prized for an unusual chip package that reduces the size and power use of the Core 2 Duo without a severe hit to performance or having to wait for future Intel mobile platforms. Either PC maker could build a more energy-efficient notebook from the chip, the purported insiders say.



Apple has a recent history of serving as the testbed for new Intel chips, including the use of Intel's first 3GHz eight-core Xeon in the Mac Pro and the 2.8GHz mobile Core 2 Extreme in the mid-2007 24-inch iMac.



iPhone's semi-trailer truck encounter subject of Apple's interest



Many iPhone owners are cautious with their devices, but one user's mistake may ultimately help Apple sell the device for its durability, iPodNN reports.



After accidentally leaving his iPhone on the trunk of his car at a gas station, owner Mike Beauchamp was surprised to learn that his iPhone not only survived a high-speed fall from the car but a run-in with a semi-trailer truck at more than 70 miles per hour on the road.



Aside from a partly damaged LCD, the device is said to be completely functional down to its touchscreen, calling functions, and its camera. Even the glass "doesn't have a mark on it," the owner says. The demonstrated toughness of the phone has reportedly been enough to warrant attention from Apple itself for marketing efforts.



"I've spoken with Apple's customer relations department - they're interested in using it in an iPhone commercial," Beauchamp writes. "This is the ultimate crash and durability test out there!"
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    iPhone's semi-trailer truck encounter subject of Apple's interest



    Many iPhone owners are cautious with their devices, but one user's mistake may ultimately help Apple sell the device for its durability, iPodNN reports.



    After accidentally leaving his iPhone on the trunk of his car at a gas station, owner Mike Beauchamp was surprised to learn that his iPhone not only survived a high-speed fall from the car but a run-in with a semi-trailer truck at more than 70 miles per hour on the road.



    Aside from a partly damaged LCD, the device is said to be completely functional down to its touchscreen, calling functions, and its camera. Even the glass "doesn't have a mark on it," the owner says. The demonstrated toughness of the phone has reportedly been enough to warrant attention from Apple itself for marketing efforts.



    "I've spoken with Apple's customer relations department - they're interested in using it in an iPhone commercial," Beauchamp writes. "This is the ultimate crash and durability test out there!"



    Waaaaooooowwww.... impressive
  • Reply 2 of 31
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,070member
    Now that will be interesting: A jailbroken iPhone with user-accessible battery in an Apple commercial...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Now that will be interesting: A jailbroken iPhone with user-accessible battery in an Apple commercial...



  • Reply 4 of 31
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post






    from: http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/01...vs.18.wheeler/







  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Both Fujitsu and Lenovo will use the 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz chips in computers that will be launched "shortly," the site alleges. As demonstrated with Apple's own design, the Intel processor is prized for an unusual chip package that reduces the size and power use of the Core 2 Duo without a severe hit to performance or having to wait for future Intel mobile platforms. Either PC maker could build a more energy-efficient notebook from the chip, the purported insiders say.





    Good. I hope it happens very soon, thereby offering people choices. In the process, I hope all of the anti-MBAs will migrate to their Lenovo/Fujitsu MBA-clones, and shut up.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Good. I hope it happens very soon, thereby offering people choices. In the process, I hope all of the anti-MBAs will migrate to their Lenovo/Fujitsu MBA-clones, and shut up.



    Ditto.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    from: http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/01...vs.18.wheeler/











    Oo



    Now that makes more sense
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I have had my own situations in which the iPhone turned out to be quite resilient. The day I bought the iphone, I got a belt clip for it. Within less than 24 hours, when sitting down in my car's driver seat, the edge of the seat wedged between the phone and the belt, and &*#%@$ the phone went flying out the open car door onto the pavement in the parking lot - 8 feet way from the car. Went and exchanged the belt clip, and the exact same thing happened, even thought the sales person at ATT assured me that that would never happen with that brand (the second one). all of this happened within a week from the iPhone going on sale.

    The iPhone now has some dents in the corners but continues to work flawlessly, and no screen damage! Incredible!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Now that will be interesting: A jailbroken iPhone with user-accessible battery in an Apple commercial...



    in those pictures, where is this user-accessible battery you speak of?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Garmin has only promised a general summer release date and hasn't named either a carrier or a price, either of which should affect its ability to compete with Apple's current and future offerings.



    Battery life and the quality of the UI might also affect its ability to compete. (I know

    that is going out on a limb.) Also touch screen is not the same as multi-touch.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Battery life and the quality of the UI might also affect its ability to compete. (I know

    that is going out on a limb.) Also touch screen is not the same as multi-touch.



    Yep. It's almost funny, when news of this broke on some of the tech sites, the usual "anything but Apple" crowd almost wet themselves-- from a few mocked-up static screen shots.



    No idea how responsive or usable the UI is, no idea about stability, no idea about how apps interact, no idea about battery life, no idea about call quality, hell, no idea about how much it even costs, but-- absolutely sure that this is the phone to blow Apple out of the water and show them how its supposed to be done, jumping up and down hollering "I want one! I want one!"



    Apple derangement syndrome: not a pretty picture.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Yep. It's almost funny, when news of this broke on some of the tech sites, the usual "anything but Apple" crowd almost wet themselves-- from a few mocked-up static screen shots.



    No idea how responsive or usable the UI is, no idea about stability, no idea about how apps interact, no idea about battery life, no idea about call quality, hell, no idea about how much it even costs, but-- absolutely sure that this is the phone to blow Apple out of the water and show them how its supposed to be done, jumping up and down hollering "I want one! I want one!"



    Apple derangement syndrome: not a pretty picture.



    What a great post.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    No idea how responsive or usable the UI is



    What UI?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Yep. It's almost funny, when news of this broke on some of the tech sites, the usual "anything but Apple" crowd almost wet themselves-- from a few mocked-up static screen shots.



    No idea how responsive or usable the UI is, no idea about stability, no idea about how apps interact, no idea about battery life, no idea about call quality, hell, no idea about how much it even costs, but-- absolutely sure that this is the phone to blow Apple out of the water and show them how its supposed to be done, jumping up and down hollering "I want one! I want one!"



    Apple derangement syndrome: not a pretty picture.



    Well, true GPS, 3G, and according to CNET a user-replaceable battery and the strong possibility of it being available on multiple carriers has a whole lot of people excited for good reason, as those are possibly the top 4 complaints most users have against iPhone. Would you trade multi-touch for 2 or 3 of those features? Of course, Garmin also has about 3 years more experience with touch screen devices than apple, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the interface works out ok.



    Of course, chances are that by the time Garmin releases this, apple will already have incorporated them into the new phone. This will, of course, lead to the same mass anger among previous owners as when apple lowered prices
  • Reply 15 of 31
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Questions that I have:

    1. Will it replace my iPod? No

    2. How much memory will it have?

    3. Will it replace my Palm PDA? (yes I'm the last person on earth that still carries a separate PDA)



    I'm still waiting for something that will converge my phone, my iPod and my PDA (for organization and as a medical reference-i.e. custom apps). So far-no luck anywhere.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post


    Well, true GPS, 3G, and according to CNET a user-replaceable battery and the strong possibility of it being available on multiple carriers has a whole lot of people excited for good reason, as those are possibly the top 4 complaints most users have against iPhone. Would you trade multi-touch for 2 or 3 of those features? Of course, Garmin also has about 3 years more experience with touch screen devices than apple, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the interface works out ok.



    Of course, chances are that by the time Garmin releases this, apple will already have incorporated them into the new phone. This will, of course, lead to the same mass anger among previous owners as when apple lowered prices



  • Reply 16 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,166member
    Well at least this give's Apple some incentive to get iPhone MkII out with all the weaknesses cleared up and the time frame may be long enough for that to be out by Garmin's release date.



    I love my iPhone but I welcome Garmin to this market for the competition they will give Apple. I really like my Garmin GPS, it is really well made and has great UI and great price (especially compared to my wife's Lexus built in model which sucks big time).



    What is amazing to me is, here we have Apple and Garmin in phones and Motorola out ... how times are changing!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I told all you Air fanboys that the CPU wouldn't be exclusive...
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I told all you Air fanboys that the CPU wouldn't be exclusive...



    Now why would ANY processor be exclusive? Not even the G4 chips were. Apple may be able to get some of Intels new chips early, but they are far too high volume to ever just make a chip just for Apple.



    Anybody who said that any Apple product is getting an exclusive custom chip doesn't know a thing about computers and obviously didn't look at any of Intel's roadmaps. Unfortunately, a lot of people thought that, including respectable news outlets.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Garmin is looking to become the first credible rival to Apple with a touchscreen phone that adds real GPS navigation and 3G.



    I'll correct that for you...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Garmin is looking to ride on the coat tails of Apple with a touchscreen phone that adds real GPS navigation and 3G.



    There are plenty of credible rivals already but hey, hop on board Garmin.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Competition is always good.



    But me thinks Apple will never be the most feature rich product around. They never were with the iPod and they won't be with the iPhone. It'll boil down to ease of use and software. Sure you don't get a true GPS, but can you run the thousands of iPhone apps coming down the pipe?

    However, the battery thing is a plus for the nuviPhone.
Sign In or Register to comment.