Office:mac 2008 Woes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When I quit Word:mac 2008, I always get an error message that reads:

"A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective. (Normal.dotm)"

I have repaired permissions, rebooted, and did everything I could think of to fix this without any luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Nevermind, I think I fixed it. Normal.dotm was in my Microsoft User Data folder in my Documents folder. I deleted it (lucky guess!) and it seems to have fixed the problem.

What's up with the long time to start Word 2008 now? It takes quite a bit longer than Word 2004. Then again, I am using an old computer (iMac G5 1.8 GHz with 2 GB RAM).
  • Reply 2 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

What's up with the long time to start Word 2008 now? It takes quite a bit longer than Word 2004. Then again, I am using an old computer (iMac G5 1.8 GHz with 2 GB RAM).

I noticed that too and that's on Intel where the performance should be much better. Office 2008 is very disappointing but I kind of expected it to be.

The gallery thing is horrible and for me it takes ages for certain panels to open.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I noticed that too and that's on Intel where the performance should be much better. Office 2008 is very disappointing but I kind of expected it to be.

The gallery thing is horrible and for me it takes ages for certain panels to open.

After hearing so many people complain about Office 2008 taking so long to startup, I decided to stop by the Apple Store today and check it. I stopped at a 23 inch ACD, hooked up to a Mac mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Word 2008 opened up and ready to type in 4 seconds. Excel 2008: 2 seconds to enter numbers.

I don't quite understand the problem most of you are having with startup times. Not saying it isn't so, but it's just confusing.

On my 7 year old G4, Word X opens in 4 seconds. Same as the Mac mini today. Excel X opens in 5 seconds (3 more seconds than Excel 2008 on the Mac mini)

• Reply 4 of 21
    Heck I would be happy if MS would live up to their end of the Super Suite Deal and send mine out!

I hadn't heard anything from them in the month since I ordered it and now after I email them asking for status they tell me that its in pending mode waiting on proof of purchase from me. Interesting because I chose to do the online redemption option from their very own site and other than giving them all my billing, shipping and CC info there was no request for me to send or provide them with anything. So now I wait to see what their reply to that will be...... If iWork just had text to columns I would be all over it.

Anyone else run into this issue?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Heck I would be happy if MS would live up to their end of the Super Suite Deal and send mine out!

I hadn't heard anything from them in the month since I ordered it and now after I email them asking for status they tell me that its in pending mode waiting on proof of purchase from me. Interesting because I chose to do the online redemption option from their very own site and other than giving them all my billing, shipping and CC info there was no request for me to send or provide them with anything. So now I wait to see what their reply to that will be...... If iWork just had text to columns I would be all over it.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Are you sure you didn't miss something? When you fill out the information on line, you still have to send in the paperwork. I'm thinking maybe the only reason to fill it out on line is that at least the information is typed and you don't have to worry about them reading your handwriting after it has gotten cold.

I filled mine out and mailed it in. Already gotten confirmation, $100 rebate, shipping date for 2008 Mac Office set.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Did you file your claim here?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/prom...l/default.mspx

I even did it again today all the way through up to the part where you actually confirm the order and there is no mention of me having to send them anything. I am more than happy to send them whatever they need since I did actually buy a copy of 04 and have it sitting right here. But so far I have not seen nor heard anything from them about having to send in anything via this redemption method.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Did you file your claim here?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/prom...l/default.mspx

I even did it again today all the way through up to the part where you actually confirm the order and there is no mention of me having to send them anything. I am more than happy to send them whatever they need since I did actually buy a copy of 04 and have it sitting right here. But so far I have not seen nor heard anything from them about having to send in anything via this redemption method.

From your link:

Redeem Online

Select the product that you purchased and your location to submit your coupon online.

Then mail us the required proof of purchase to receive your new software.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Yeah, I see that, but no where in any of the process does it tell you what they want as proof of purchase or where to send it. Nor do they give any instructions about anything else that you are supposed to send that actually identifies yourself as being someone that did it online.

LOL I guess I could just stick the UPC in an envelope and write MS, Redmond, WA on it and hope it finds its way.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Yeah, I see that, but no where in any of the process does it tell you what they want as proof of purchase or where to send it. Nor do they give any instructions about anything else that you are supposed to send that actually identifies yourself as being someone that did it online.

LOL I guess I could just stick the UPC in an envelope and write MS, Redmond, WA on it and hope it finds its way.

Definitely a good way for it not to get redeemed. It goes to Buffalo, NY 14240.

I looked at the on-line way of doing it and I would still have to download the coupon, so I just went the download the coupon way and just typed my info on a sheet of paper rather than printing everything into the little small boxes.

The only way I find the on-line redemption methods to be convenient is when say I buy something from say Staples and I go on-line to Staples.com and put in my information and all I have to do is take the Staples receipt and copy the transaction number and their computer looks it up. Most other ways are redundant and you still have to fill out a form and mail in the proof of purchase material.

Quote:

For redemptions in the 50 United States, D.C., U.S. military bases with valid

APO/FPO addresses, Puerto Rico and Canada send all items to:

Microsoft Corporation

Super Suite Deal ? Office for Mac 2008

PO Box 1096

Buffalo, NY 14240

• Reply 10 of 21
    Right, well I see that now in the coupon section, but if I am doing it online why would I even look at the other option.

My compaint is that they dont include any instructions as to what to do when you chose the online option. I shouldn't have to go looking around in other areas of the site and make a guess as to what to do.

Sounds to me like more MS trickery.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Right, well I see that now in the coupon section, but if I am doing it online why would I even look at the other option.

My compaint is that they dont include any instructions as to what to do when you chose the online option. I shouldn't have to go looking around in other areas of the site and make a guess as to what to do.

Sounds to me like more MS trickery.

I went through the on-line procedure this morning, stopping just before I gave them my credit card information, and I saw no where that the on-line procedure gave the address on where to send your proof of purchase. May have been there after the credit card infor, but I didn't want to risk it. Looks like they dropped the ball on their directions.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Yeah...... and after you hit the cc part there is nothing there but a confirmation screen that I have a print copy of that just shows that they got your money and nothing else \
  • Reply 13 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

After hearing so many people complain about Office 2008 taking so long to startup, I decided to stop by the Apple Store today and check it. I stopped at a 23 inch ACD, hooked up to a Mac mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Word 2008 opened up and ready to type in 4 seconds. Excel 2008: 2 seconds to enter numbers.

I don't quite understand the problem most of you are having with startup times. Not saying it isn't so, but it's just confusing.

On my 7 year old G4, Word X opens in 4 seconds. Same as the Mac mini today. Excel X opens in 5 seconds (3 more seconds than Excel 2008 on the Mac mini)

Once it's been launched and cached, subsequent launches are quicker. It's the launches that haven't been cached that bug me - typically 15 seconds startup time. Afterwards, I get 5 seconds too but usually I only need it for something quick and having to wait on the bouncing is irritating. I can boot up Parallels and launch Word 2003 in under 5 seconds. The actual launch of Word 2003 is practically instant.

I am so tired of OS X apps bouncing so much, it's not just Office. I remember when programs used to launch as if before you'd finished the double-click. Why is it that when we now have multi-core machines are they are far from instant? Yeah they've added stuff to some apps but Word is just text editing the same as it always was.

Word 2008 on a dual core Intel Mac should not take the same time to launch as a 7 year old G4. The delay in the spell/grammar checking is terrible - it's immediate in Textedit, Safari etc. Just type random jibberish for a while in Word 2008 and wait as the red and green underscores fill in after a few seconds. Also try clicking the document theme panel on the right and see how long it takes to open.

It might be a Ram thing as I test on a machine with 1GB and it's sometimes loaded but 162MB real Ram usage for Word 2008 for a default launch with a blank document seems a bit much. Even Word 2004 with the Rosetta overhead uses close to half that with 84MB for a blank document.

The people I work with seem to be happy with it and they use it way more than I do but I just know how software can run and apps like Office 2008 fall short of my expectations.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:

I filled mine out and mailed it in. Already gotten confirmation, $100 rebate, shipping date for 2008 Mac Office set.

Can someone please point me to where I can check my order status. That M$ for Mac mini-site/blog is dreadful to navigate. I received my $100 rebate a couple of weeks ago, but no Office '08 yet.

Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Can someone please point me to where I can check my order status. That M$ for Mac mini-site/blog is dreadful to navigate. I received my $100 rebate a couple of weeks ago, but no Office '08 yet.

Thanks.

As I remember it, the rebate and ordering the Office 2008 were to separate transactions and locations. You should receive an email from Microsoft saying they have your order for Office 2008 and a link to check on the order (with a order number also).

My Office 2008 was supposed to ship yesterday, but I got several emails from Microsoft saying they were out of stock and it would 2/14/08 before it shipped. Today I get an email from Microsoft saying my order had shipped and a tracking number for DHL. I go to DHL's website and put in the tracking number and their site showed they picked up a package from Microsoft for me yesterday.

No big problem on it being late or not, I'm still waiting on Apple before I buy a new computer and I don't need Office 2008 yet. I just couldn't pass up a copy of Office 2008 for a couple of bucks when I'm used to paying around $150 for it.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

As I remember it, the rebate and ordering the Office 2008 were to separate transactions and locations. You should receive an email from Microsoft saying they have your order for Office 2008 and a link to check on the order (with a order number also).

No big problem on it being late or not, I'm still waiting on Apple before I buy a new computer and I don't need Office 2008 yet. I just couldn't pass up a copy of Office 2008 for a couple of bucks when I'm used to paying around $150 for it.

Thanks, Royboy.

I completed both parts of the process on Black Friday, and had them both in the mail the following week. No e-mail acknowledgement from M$, just the $100 rebate check.

I'm not in a desperate rush for the software, either; it would just be nice to know the second part of the deal hasn't fallen into some corporate black hole.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Thanks, Royboy.

I completed both parts of the process on Black Friday, and had them both in the mail the following week. No e-mail acknowledgement from M$, just the $100 rebate check.

I'm not in a desperate rush for the software, either; it would just be nice to know the second part of the deal hasn't fallen into some corporate black hole.

I mailed all my paperwork Dec. 4, 2007. I got a confirmation email from Microsoft for Office 2008 on 1/10/08. You should have heard something by now. I would start investigating on what has happened to your order.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

I mailed all my paperwork Dec. 4, 2007. I got a confirmation email from Microsoft for Office 2008 on 1/10/08. You should have heard something by now. I would start investigating on what has happened to your order.

I just called, and they gave me an order number. Demand was higher than expected -- no shit -- so I may receive an e-mail saying it is on back-order. At least I'm in the system. To be fair to M$, the guy that took my call was super-friendly and efficient.

Cheers, Royboy.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Did he speak English as his primary language?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Did he speak English as his primary language?

As well as any American