Definitive update on new MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-))

A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready.

The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so decided to delay the launch. Penryn-based PCs now good to go and begin shipping Monday.

Expect new MBP 15-inch and 17-inch within two weeks. 17-inch gets LED.

New MBP DOES feature a slightly revised case design with the new black keyboard from MBA and a larger trackpad, but is basically very similar to existing design. Think evolution not revolution.

The idea is to achieve a commonality of look across the range.

SSD will be an option offering an exceptionally fast boot time < 30 seconds.

Also seen lurking in the corridors of Cupertino was an aluminum MacBook 13". Initially available in silver, my source reckons annodised black, blue, pink and other colours will be available around September. New MacBooks will be a big story later this year. One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-))

Also seen lurking in the corridors of Cupertino was an aluminum MacBook 13". Initially available in silver, my source reckons annodised black, blue, pink and other colours will be available around September. New MacBooks will be a big story later this year. One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13".

This information sounds like it's legitimate, but I am skeptical of Apple going back to doing colors any time soon. They seem to be looking for a more sleek and sophisticated look across the board (new iMac, MBA etc) and colors would ruin that look. I know that they will want to keep some sort of distinction between consumer and pro products, but I doubt if colored aluminum is going to be the way they achieve that, with the exception of the black.

That being said, I am stoked for the new Macbook Pro!!! I have been waiting for months to get a new MBP and when it didn't launch at Macworld, I was pissed! But now it's finally coming! Oh happy day!
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

This information sounds like it's legitimate, but I am skeptical of Apple going back to doing colors any time soon. They seem to be looking for a more sleek and sophisticated look across the board (new iMac, MBA etc) and colors would ruin that look. I know that they will want to keep some sort of distinction between consumer and pro products, but I doubt if colored aluminum is going to be the way they achieve that, with the exception of the black.

That being said, I am stoked for the new Macbook Pro!!! I have been waiting for months to get a new MBP and when it didn't launch at Macworld, I was pissed! But now it's finally coming! Oh happy day!

I dunno...they introduced colors into the Nano line and those did very well. The MacBook is thier consumer laptop and their cheapest Mac. The idea of appealling to more people by offering it in a variety of colors is possible. I am sure silver and black will be the most popular but a rainbow might be how they appeal even more to the masses.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    I want to backcomments with the report on Appleinsider that says Apple has increased production orders for notebooks and desktops.

I do not believe that a 20% increase in notebook orders will come from the MBA, it will need a revised MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Dell went to colors again maybe they want a part of that?
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Quote:

A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready.

The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so decided to delay the launch. Penryn-based PCs now good to go and begin shipping Monday.

New MBP DOES feature a slightly revised case design with the new black keyboard from MBA and a larger trackpad, but is basically very similar to existing design. Think evolution not revolution.

The idea is to achieve a commonality of look across the range.

SSD will be an option offering an exceptionally fast boot time < 30 seconds.

Lets hope with the new macbook pro model they come out with a new keyboard.. i cannot stand the one they have on it now.. feels cheep and fragile. I prefer my macbook when it comes to typing.. just gota get a graphics card in the thing and maybe the mb will have something
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Am I the only one that hates the black keys on the MB Air? I love my silver on silver MBP and would hate for it to get this cosmetic "evolution".
  • Reply 7 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Am I the only one that hates the black keys on the MB Air? I love my silver on silver MBP and would hate for it to get this cosmetic "evolution".

me too- it better be black anodized MBP with silver keys ! how about that ?

Oh f**k that ! , it's happening AGAIN , how could this possibly be true ! .. for the THIRD time in a row i can't buy the MBP , because the new one is comming out just a week or two after i'm off ! AAAAAAh . now should i call this a coincidence ?!?

Apple, why aren't you on schedule ?
  • Reply 8 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripo View Post

me too- it better be black anodized MBP with silver keys ! how about that ?

Oh f**k that ! , it's happening AGAIN , how could this possibly be true ! .. for the THIRD time in a row i can't buy the MBP , because the new one is comming out just a week or two after i'm off ! AAAAAAh . now should i call this a coincidence ?!?

Apple, why aren't you on schedule ?

I agree with both of you on the look of the current MBP. Ideally, I would just like them to update the specifications and the new track pad might be nice, but over all I much prefer the look of the current MBP.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

I dunno...they introduced colors into the Nano line and those did very well. The MacBook is thier consumer laptop and their cheapest Mac. The idea of appealling to more people by offering it in a variety of colors is possible. I am sure silver and black will be the most popular but a rainbow might be how they appeal even more to the masses.

I knew as soon as I made that reply that someone was going to try to use this argument.

You cannot compare ANY of Apple's Mac Products with the iPod line. Especially the nano or the shuffle! Just because 10 year old girls like the colors of the nano does not mean that it would work well for a laptop.

And by the way, the Macbook is NOT Apple's cheapest Mac, the Mac Mini is. The Macbook starts at $1099 while the Mini is just $599.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post

Dell went to colors again maybe they want a part of that?

A part of what? The majority of people buying those piece of crap Inspiron notebooks are not willing to spend $1,000 USD for a laptop, much less the 1,100 USD for the base model Macbook. The most expensive "consumer" notebook Dell offers is $849.00 USD.

I doubt if Apple is using Dell as a barometer when planning what to do next with ANY of their products.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I knew as soon as I made that reply that someone was going to try to use this argument.

You cannot compare ANY of Apple's Mac Products with the iPod line. Especially the nano or the shuffle! Just because 10 year old girls like the colors of the nano does not mean that it would work well for a laptop.

And by the way, the Macbook is NOT Apple's cheapest Mac, the Mac Mini is. The Macbook starts at $1099 while the Mini is just $599.

...if you knew then why didn't you attempt to counter the argument before it was made? Just asking...

Ok, first of all, more than 10 year old girls like the colored iPods. My mom, for one, LOVES her purple shuffle and considering that I am 23, I think it is safe to say she is just a little older than 10. Also, I think if you were going to make that point, it would have been safer to make it about the middle to higschool ages. Though heck, I see gals in college and above using the colored nanos. Guys too. AND the colored nanos/shuffles sell really well.

The MacBooks have already started following the nano by introducing a more expensive black model. Do you really think it would be out of world to think that they would do the same thing? Appeal to the same people who loved the colored nanos and shuffles. I know my Mom would make my Dad buy her one, especially if she could get a matching one!

And I forgot about the Mini, true...but then does anyone really CARE about the MacMini? Besides, the market is in laptops. I recall Jobs saying in a keynote that laptops outsell desktops. I bet Apple sells more MacBooks than any of their other computers. If not MacBooks, then MacBook Pros but it will be a close second.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    This information sounds good, but the next question is... how long will it take to get one of the machines in my hands after it's announced? It's one thing to announce it within 2 weeks (in theory), and another to be able to purchase one. Any details on that?
  • Reply 13 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

...if you knew then why didn't you attempt to counter the argument before it was made? Just asking...

I didn't attempt to counter the argument because I was hoping and praying that no one would take up your side of the discussion. It seems my hopes were in vain...

Ok, first of all, more than 10 year old girls like the colored iPods. My mom, for one, LOVES her purple shuffle and considering that I am 23, I think it is safe to say she is just a little older than 10. Also, I think if you were going to make that point, it would have been safer to make it about the middle to higschool ages. Though heck, I see gals in college and above using the colored nanos. Guys too. AND the colored nanos/shuffles sell really well.

The MacBooks have already started following the nano by introducing a more expensive black model. Do you really think it would be out of world to think that they would do the same thing? Appeal to the same people who loved the colored nanos and shuffles. I know my Mom would make my Dad buy her one, especially if she could get a matching one!

And I forgot about the Mini, true...but then does anyone really CARE about the MacMini? Besides, the market is in laptops. I recall Jobs saying in a keynote that laptops outsell desktops. I bet Apple sells more MacBooks than any of their other computers. If not MacBooks, then MacBook Pros but it will be a close second.

Ok, so maybe ALL girls like the colored nano, and yes, the majority of Apple's sales are laptops. And you are also right that most people don't give a rat's furry tail about the Mini, but I was just pointing out that you were wrong about which Mac was the cheapest. I just don't see Apple going back to an idea that they used in the late 90's right now. The colored computer thing is done. They even got rid of the EXTREMELY recognizable white poly-carbonate plastic from the iMac. Overall, I'm just saying I've been a MacAddict (can I use this in print, or is it still copyrighted?) for a long time now, and Apple is Apple. They set a tone and keep to it awhile. They only started setting a new tone a few months ago with the new look of the iMac, and are continuing it with the Macbook Air and soon with the Macbook Pro. This is the tone, not multi colored notebooks. The days of the colored iMac are gone. Apple has set a new tone, don't think they'll be changing it for at least a year...
  • Reply 14 of 98
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. Pretty much the consensus.

Now the bigger question is when will Montevina MBPs arrive?

(Montevina chipset supports WiMax, Blu-Ray, HDMI, >4GB RAM,...)

If Apple releases a new MBP in February, will we have to wait until August/September for the upgrade - assuming Intel will be on time releasing Montevina in May as Intel's Otellini suggested?

With Merom it took Apple months to finally update their MBPs - while the whole industry already had Merom laptops.

Add to this the delayed release or the Penryn MBPs (whenever they will now ship).

Add to this the typical Apple MBP refresh cycle of September to November.

And it seems all to clear that Montevina won't arrive until August at the earliest.

However, if the next MBP revision is intended to streamline and unify the MacBook look, it is unlikely that Apple will update that look (ruining the just achieved streamlining) coming August with yet another case design.

If the case doesn't change with the MBP revision in fall/winter 2008, it's quite possible that Apple might not wait that long to introduce Montevina.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Magnetic latch system?

User removeable hard drive?
  • Reply 16 of 98
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

?an aluminum MacBook 13"?

?annodised black?

?One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13".

I would go for the up-speced black anodized MacBook, and I would hope that Axiotron mods the same into a tablet?

Unless, of course, Apple actually comes out with their own tablet in the near future?

;^p
  • Reply 17 of 98
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Magnetic latch system?

User removeable hard drive?

Here, here.

These are exactly the two things i care about most ... if those find their way into the new MPB, I'll snap one up in a second ...
  • Reply 18 of 98
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No, you're not the only one. They look completely out-of-place. The new MBP's better not have them!
  • Reply 19 of 98
    SSD option on MBP won't happen 'til the ssd drives are over 128GB @ a 'reasonable' $$
  • Reply 20 of 98
    @ Tailpipe,

Great info

Does this mean the 13" high-specced MB will come out with the revised MBPs in a couple of weeks, or will we have to wait til September?